Quantcast

Specialized/Fox Commits to the 29er Format

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:weee:

Morgan Hill and Watsonville, CA - Specialized Bicycle Company and Fox Racing Shox made a joint announcement today of their commitment to the development of a full line of mountain bicycles and products based on the 700c wheel size for mountain bikes, or so called "29er" format.

"Our experience with the industry leading Fast Trak tire in a 29er format has told us loud and clear that the 29er format is here to stay, and 29er customers are starved for high performance products," said Mike Sinyard, President and founder of Specialized. "We are commited to making a full range of 29er mountain bikes ranging from rigid single speeds to all mountain bikes, and even exploring the applicability of this format to freeride and downhill bikes."

"The 29er market has been telling us for a long time they want more choices and more advanced technology than is currently available for 29er suspension forks," said Bob Fox, President and founder of Fox, "After watching this segment great interest, we feel the time is right to offer many of our existing products in a 29er version."

While the two companies have announced general plans, they announced no specific product plans or dates today.

"But that is OK," explained Sinyard, "We know that once customers are aware that they have a choice like this coming soon, they will realize they don't need to buy their bikes from some recycled hippy who claims he invented mountain bikes."

"Yes," added Fox, "and 29er customers may find it worth their while to wait just a little longer before they buy a fork that looks like it was designed in the 80s. Or one that they have to call Rainman in order to tune properly. Or some hack job one legged deal that they have to buy part on eBay that Terminaut designed."

"Yeah, what a joke," continued Sinyard, "Those whiners on the 29er board on mtbr can finally shut their yap and chill, dammit, we will have more 29ers than they know what to do with soon enough. Those guys are such a pain, I will finally have them off my back."

"Damn straight, Mike," Fox replied, "I swear, my inbox is overflowing with emails from those jerks. I guess my strategy of training my spam filter to reroute all 29er mail to the junk folder did not work, we are finally giving in to the pressure and throwing them a bone. I hope they are happy."

About Specialized Bicycles:
Specialized Bicycles, founded in Morgan Hill, CA, in 1974, designed and manufactured the first production mountain bike, which now resides in the Smithsonian Institute. Specialized is a company of devout cyclists obsessed with creating cutting edge, functional and technically advanced products that provide a performance benefit for the cycling enthusiast, as long as they have 26" wheels.

About Fox Racing Shox

Since 1974 FOX Racing Shox has been designing and manufacturing the finest suspension products for Motorcycles, Mountain Bikes (26" only, please), ATV’s and Snowmobiles. World Headquarters are in Watsonville, CA with its Off-Road Division in Santee, CA. FOX Racing Shox distributes its products in more than 20 countries.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
In all honesty, a 29" front wheel for DH could be quite the elephant's kebap.

But that is the best April 1 reference I've seen all day.