Quantcast

Specialized gear

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Anybody have any first hand experiance with the new Dissident helmet. Looks very promising.
Specialized Bicycle Components : Dissident

And the Hillbilly tire........says its for dry, but it looks like a great intermediate tire.
Specialized Bicycle Components : Hillbilly DH
I've been running hillbillies for 2 years now. Super grippy tire. You are right, they make perfect intermediates. Less squirmy than a full spike on dry/rock faces, but as much grip in the deep stuff.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Hillbilly is perfect for anything soft. Also good for mud on rockier trails where full spikes are a no-go. They suffer on hardpack/dry compared to their other DH tires.

Haven't tried the dissident but their xc helmets are great and I've yet to try a piece of specialized gear I didn't like.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
To you guys running hillybillys would you put them on a trail bike for super gnarly north east winter conditions? I have some wetscreams sitting here which are a bit tall (could cut) but really havent decided to go that route yet.

Also what is the size like on the 2.3? Is it smaller than a scream?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure they run big. The Chunder and Butcher 2.3's are the size of a Minion 2.5.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
The tires really are fantastic, perhaps the best on the market right now.
And they don't get old and crusty when sitting in a hot storage unit for months! (I still had a few new ones from last year that I just cleaned out a storage unit, rubber was still fresh and grippy).

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
To you guys running hillybillys would you put them on a trail bike for super gnarly north east winter conditions? I have some wetscreams sitting here which are a bit tall (could cut) but really havent decided to go that route yet.

Also what is the size like on the 2.3? Is it smaller than a scream?
It will be heavy and roll pretty slow but if it's super sloppy they'd probably do all right. I don't think climbing on them for extended periods would be fun at all though. You're correct that a 2.3 medusa would fit the bill better.

It's about the same size as a 2.5 maxxis.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
IMHO.. the Butchers don't track as well as the Minions in the front.
Especially here in dusty loose SoCal.
But hey, they make you a better drifter.
And they roll much better.
And seem to last better.
But are way leaky tubeless.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
IMHO.. the Butchers don't track as well as the Minions in the front.
Especially here in dusty loose SoCal.
But hey, they make you a better drifter.
And they roll much better.
And seem to last better.
But are way leaky tubeless.
Interesting, as most people's experiences are the polar opposite of yours. I have run butchers tubeless since before they were available tot he general public, with no problems. I've also noticed they corner much better than a minion to to a more aggressive side knob. Most others have shared my opinion.

Do you feel they break away earlier, later, less predictably? What sort of sealant have you been using on what rims?

The minion F was, by far, my favorite tire until i tried the Butcher.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
I'm running the 823's with Stan's.
The f&r sealed up fine with a hand pump, but the back, and the front initially, leaked clear Stan's fluid for about 3 days. I'm figuring it stopped because the inside is dry finally.
The rear never really stopped leaking down.
The Butcher's have a micro ribbing along or near the bead edge. I imagine this is where they are leaking from.

As far as cornering, I think the Minions corner equally or better at first but wear much faster.
The Butcher's break loose sooner but eventually hook up fine hence the tracking into the corner comment.
I'm still playing with tire pressure and they seem to run better at a lower number.
Was running 28/30 for the minions but it felt too hard for the Butchers.
They really gripped up at 26/28 f/r, while still rolling amazingly fast.
But then again, on a mini flat landing I pinch flatted the rear and put a tube in.
So now off to buy a better gauge.
I have washed the front a bunch on entering a corner, but then it hooks up and makes it.
They're different than the Minions and I'm still feeling them out.
I think they're faster but its changing my riding style and that's a bit painful.
Its moving my riding position further back.
Which should happen anyway as I've always been way over the front end.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm running the 823's with Stan's.
The f&r sealed up fine with a hand pump, but the back, and the front initially, leaked clear Stan's fluid for about 3 days. I'm figuring it stopped because the inside is dry finally.
The rear never really stopped leaking down.
The Butcher's have a micro ribbing along or near the bead edge. I imagine this is where they are leaking from.

As far as cornering, I think the Minions corner equally or better at first but wear much faster.
The Butcher's break loose sooner but eventually hook up fine hence the tracking into the corner comment.
I'm still playing with tire pressure and they seem to run better at a lower number.
Was running 28/30 for the minions but it felt too hard for the Butchers.
They really gripped up at 26/28 f/r, while still rolling amazingly fast.
But then again, on a mini flat landing I pinch flatted the rear and put a tube in.
So now off to buy a better gauge.
I have washed the front a bunch on entering a corner, but then it hooks up and makes it.
They're different than the Minions and I'm still feeling them out.
I think they're faster but its changing my riding style and that's a bit painful.
Its moving my riding position further back.
Which should happen anyway as I've always been way over the front end.
I rode 823s once, but not with specialized tires. I also had problems with them sealing up with non UST tires. I also used stans, and they seem to seal up on on Stan's rims. Maybe due to the lower bead lip?

I agree on the wear, they definitely seem to wear better. Butchers tend to let go until you really get aggressive and use the cornering knob, so I definitely see what you are saying. The harder you lean them, the more they grip. The team guys are all running VERY low pressure. I was surprised when I was told to run them closer to 24/25 not the higher 28 I had been running. There was a fairly large difference at lower pressure.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
24/27psi on 2.3's here on Havoc rims @ 220lbs.
Never had any trouble with grip and definitely agree they edge a lot better than minions. Its noticeable immediately to me.