Quantcast

Specialized Global Athletes to Attend AT’s Showdown

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized global athletes Martin Soderstrom and Mike Montgomery will be in San Francisco next week for AT’s Showdown. The slopestyle athletes r>Specialized</author>
<pubDate>Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:11:57 +0100</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
<title>Breschel back in classics hunt with Saxo-Tinkoff</title>
<link>http://www.i-am-specialized.com/road/news-article/breschel-back-in-classics-hunt-with-saxo-tinkoff</link>
<description><![CDATA[<p>Matti Breschel is back with Saxo-Tinkoff, beginning where it all started at the Tour of Qatar. In 2005, he made a name for himself by finishing second overall in his neo-pro year.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Qatar was my first race as a pro in 2005. Lars Michaelsen won and I was second," Breschel explained in Doha today. "It brings up memories when I'm here."</p><p>
</p><p>
The Dane turned professional with Saxo Bank in 2005 and continued with the team through 2010. That year he won Dwars door Vlaanderen and helped Fabian Cancellara to the Tour of Flanders.</p><p>
</p><p>
Over the last two years, he rode with Dutch team Rabobank. The period, however, was marked by a knee injury and he was never able to rev his motor near its top end.</p><p>
</p><p>
He missed the classics completely in 2011. Only last year did he return, placing third in Ghent-Wevelgem and ninth in the Tour of Flanders.</p><p>
</p><p>
At the end of the year, he decided to return home, re-joining the Danish super squad of Bjarne Riis. With a full season under his belt, Qatar plays an important part of his classics prep.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's always nice to get started and compare yourself to your competitors," Breschel said. "It's an important race and it's nice to start out well and just have a good feeling in the legs."</p><p>
</p><p>
Breschel is off to a great start. He survived when the race split into echelons and placed seventh the sprint yesterday. Saxo-Tinkoff placed 10th and 26 seconds behind BMC Racing in today's team time trial.</p><p>
</p><p>
In Qatar, he's joined by Daniele Bennati, Karsten Kroon, Jonathan Cantwell, Jonas Jörgensen, Marko Kump, Anders Lund and Matteo Tosatto. After Qatar, he and the 'classics team' race the Tour of Oman.</p><p>
</p><p>
Saxo-Tinkoff will meet in Corsica for a training camp before Breschel confronts Paris-Nice and the big one-day classics.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I always have the dream of winning the Tour of Flanders, but I'm trying to be there from Sanremo until Paris-Roubaix," continued Breschel. "Flanders is the big goal for me. I'll try to help Daniele Bennati in Sanremo, then we'll see how Gent-Wevelgem is; if it ends in a sprint I think Bennati's the fastest guy."</p><p>
</p><p>
Breschel returned to race on Specialized bikes. His rival Tom Boonen also races on Specialized in team OmegaPharma-Quick Step. Last year, Boonen won Flanders and Roubaix, and impressed everyone, including Breschel.</p><p>
</p><p>
"He was super strong, the strongest. I hope that he's not as strong this year! He was unbeatable," Breschel said with a grin.</p><p>
</p><p>
"You feel [his accelerations]. You feel it in your legs when he first opens up, it's incredible. He's getting older, so maybe I have a chance!"</p>

More...