Quantcast

Specialized Hardrock series?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I've been seriously contemplating purchasing a mountain bike again after quite a few years of BMX only riding.

The last time I rode a MTB was around 1995, and I'm fully aware that I have no idea what's good in this world or not any more.

The new Specialized Hardrocks look awfully nice to me... Am I correct in the assumption that for around $500, that'd be a good place to start?

If not, perhaps some of you can make a few suggestions.

Oh, I should state that I will pretty much be doing XC rides on whatever bike I choose. I'll still be riding my T1 for street, jumping and park, and since I live in central Indiana, the odds of me hitting up any DH courses in the near future are slim to none.

Thanks for the help, :monkey: !

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Don't know much about Specialized bikes, I own a Trek. A couple of the guys I work with have Specialized bikes and like them so I guess they are good. If you don't have much money to spend, try to pick up a bike with a good frame and mediocre components. I think you can get a decent bike for $500 to $600. You might suffer with substandard components but you can always upgrade later.

For example, I bought a Trek 7000 back in '99 for $850. The frame on the 7000 was the same one used on the more expensive models but the components weren't top notch. I have been riding this bike hard for the past 5 years and am just now upgrading the worn out components. The frame is perfect and I probably spent a few hundred bucks in new components. it's like I have a brand new bike again for a fraction of the cost.

Also check ebay, I bought a 2002 K2 Attack 3.0 (which lists for about $850) for $243.00 including shipping. Unfotunatley it was scrathced during shipping but still, you can't beat that price. Just be weary when buying online.

Just my .02 cents.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
The specialized hardrock is a fine place to start, but you might find yourself looking for a newer better bike as you progress.(as i did, i too started out with a similar bike)

You'll probably want something lighter and of better quality after a few months of riding it.
I would suggest maybe putting a little bit more money into it, perhaps a mid range hardtail...for example, the giant XTC's or something along that line
Give it some thought, in the end you won't regret spending a few hundred extra.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
might look for something used to really get a rockstar deal...
but if youre not comfortable with buying used, the hardrocks are good bikes.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I had a Spec Hard Rock Pro (around 530 bucks) and it was great, i did some pretty big stuff with it, and it held out nice. they are a great starting-out bike. but you can always step it up....if you have the dough, step it up....if not this is an excellent start.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I own a 2003 Hard Rock Pro (disk)

I bought it as a Heavy duty XC bike for me to start riding again after a 8 month lay off due to an injury.

For the money it is excelent! :thumb: I did change somethings after a short while:

The cranks: Stock = square taper aluminum. Rhino is 300lbs of graceless rider. Started to mess up taper and ruin stock cranks. Put on Chromo cranks donated to me. FSA X-drive cranks = much smarter for Rhino.

Seat: Stock = noname BMXy/XCish seat. Comfortable for trail riding but not when getting behind the seat. I put on a seat I was used to and a little narrower. Totally personal preference.

Other than that my bike is pretty stock. I did get a set of HD wheels built up for it....but I still have the stock ones for normal riding....I am putting slick on them for a second set. I jsut didn't trust Alex Dblwall rims mentally.....so I had some Halo DH rims laced up to some sealed bearing hubs.

The stock Judy TT is capable trail fork. But that is my next "upgrade" if I decide to ride this bike harder at my wieght the fork just wasn't designed for it. Not the forks problem. but I rideit pretty hard and live with it...but I don't jump with it. I am hoping to replace it with a Fox Vanilla RLC or something. Leave the fork alone for awhile (I have) the bike is capable from the get go for normal people where cranks aren't as biga concern and seats are personal preference.

If you have any questions let me know. PM me etc.

The 2004 Hardrock Pro is a cooler dark grey charcol flame paint job too.

RhinofromWA
Pic of my bike below: 2003 Pro Disc

2004 Pro Disc!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Rhino:
That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm a big guy too, so this bike is looking more and more like the right choice for me.

*runs to his nearest Specialized dealer*

Thanks to all for the feedback. See you on the trails!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by RandomV
Rhino:
That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'm a big guy too, so this bike is looking more and more like the right choice for me.

*runs to his nearest Specialized dealer*

Thanks to all for the feedback. See you on the trails!
Have fun.

Oh I changed the pedals to clipless....but I do that to any bike. Sorry I forgot that.

The '04 has BMX type pedals where my '03 had more std cheap cage pedals....you can cinda see it in the picture. I am a clipless guy myself so it wouldn't have mattered. Again personal preference.