Quantcast

Specialized ITU Women close out 2012 ITU season with a roar

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Lisa Norden’s 2012 ITU triathlon season came to a scorching end at the Auckland Grand Final under a blue sky that also saw a shining new star of women’s triathlon rise through the ranks.</p><p>
Trailing ITU points leader Erin Densham of Australia by just 30 points following her victory at the penultimate Yokohama round, Norden’s work was cut out for her in Auckland. The clash of these two triathlon titans was not to be, however, despite Densham’s best effort to keep pace through an illness that she had been struggling with the previous week.</p><p>
</p><p>
While the Aussie emerged from the brisk water with Norden and the rest of the lead pack, her health ultimately forced her to abandon the Grand Final – paving the way for Norden’s third consecutive Grand Final fourth place, and more than enough points to take the overall World Championship title for the year – a result she was elated with, as she later revealed that she had been in the hospital overnight with food poisoning.</p><p>
</p><p>
“My leg was cramping up in the finish chute and I couldn’t run properly but this is the last race and this is the last finish chute, and I just had to get over that line and at least a world championship medal on the other side,” Norden told Triathlon.org. “Silver medal in the Olympics and then a world championship, it’s the best year I’ve ever had, and as a triathlete. I’m feeling very, very happy with my accomplishments.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Norden was not alone in here celebration Saturday, as two other Specialized women filled the top four behind victor Anne Haug – Barbara Riveros Diaz redeemed her disappointment at last year’s Grand Final with a bronze, while American Gwen Jorgensen capped off her breakout ITU season with a come-from-behind silver that turned more than a few heads.</p><p>
</p><p>
Though the rookie emerged from the water seconds behind her chief rivals, and later at T2 over a minute back, Jorgensen was able to conserve enough energy aboard her S-Works Amira during the bike leg to keep fresh enough to turn in a the day’s best run split. Bridging the seemingly impossible gap to the main pack of women, Jorgensen had one last kick in her, putting her stamp on Auckland with a decisive sprint finish, finishing just 12 seconds behind </p><p>
Olympic champion Haug.</p><p>
</p><p>
All the Specialized ITU women ride S-Works Amiras, as ITU rules dictate that bikes adhere to the same standard as UCI road racing. They also take advantage of the cooling and aerodynamic benefits of the S-Works Prevail helmet and SW Trivent shoes to make their rides and transitions as quick as possible.</p>

More...