Quantcast

Specialized ITU Women close out 2012 ITU season with a roar

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Lisa Norden’s 2012 ITU triathlon season came to a scorching end at the Auckland Grand Final under a blue sky that also saw a shining new star of women’s triathlon rise through the ranks.</p><p>
Trailing ITU points leader Erin Densham of Australia by just 30 points following her victory at the penultimate Yokohama round, Norden’s work was cut out for her in Auckland. The clash of these two triathlon titans was not to be, however, despite Densham’s best effort to keep pace through an illness that she had been struggling with the previous week.</p><p>
</p><p>
While the Aussie emerged from the brisk water with Norden and the rest of the lead pack, her health ultimately forced her to abandon the Grand Final – paving the way for Norden’s third consecutive Grand Final fourth place, and more than enough points to take the overall World Championship title for the year – a result she was elated with, as she later revealed that she had been in the hospital overnight with food poisoning.</p><p>
</p><p>
“My leg was cramping up in the finish chute and I couldn’t run properly but this is the last race and this is the last finish chute, and I just had to get over that line and at least a world championship medal on the other side,” Norden told Triathlon.org. “Silver medal in the Olympics and then a world championship, it’s the best year I’ve ever had, and as a triathlete. I’m feeling very, very hthis weekend at the cross country mountain bike worlds in Saalfelden, Austria. </p><p>
</p><p>
Davison, who was representing the United States, finished eighth in the six-lap elite women's cross country race aboard her Specialized S-Works Fate 29er. Her previous best finish was 10th at the Worlds last year in Champery, Switzerland. It was a beautiful, sunny, warm day out on the 4.5km course.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I just kept moving up the entire race. I would lose a little bit on that technical descent every lap, but I was climbing well," said Davison. "I had some good luck on the last descent. There was kind of a pile-up at the bottom, and I just squeaked by and passed some more girls on the last climb."</p><p>
</p><p>
Davison raced with a SRAM drivetrain including trigger shifters, 38/26 chainrings and an 11-36 cassette. She used a Specialized S-Works Ground Control 2.10 tire up front and a Fast Track 2.00 tire in the rear.</p><p>
</p><p>
The day after the cross country, she participated in the first-ever eliminator world championship, where she qualified third and finished ninth.</p><p>
</p><p>
In the men's eight-lap cross country race, recently crowned Olympic champion Jaroslav Kulhavy raced the best looking bike on the course. In celebration of his Olympic gold medal, Specialized made the Czech Republic rider a custom, gold-colored S-Works Specialized Epic 29er with 2013 Rockshox SID fork, including the Specialized Brain. On the bike were a Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 2.00 front tire and a Renegade 1.95 rear tire. It also had a SRAM XX1 drivetrain with 36-tooth front chainring. Although Kulhavy's back was bothering him on race day, he pushed onward to finish in 13th place.</p><p>
</p><p>
Speaking of Kulhavy's new bike, Sports Marketing Director David Hyam said, "He couldn't believe it. We all went out for a team dinner on Thursday night and wheeled it out to surprise Jaroslav. He didn't know it was coming. He was very surprised and thankful."</p><p>
</p><p>
Burry Stander, clad in the colors of South Africa, was Specialized Racing's top finisher in the men's race on his 2013 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper 29er with 2013 Rockshox SID fork (with its Brain at 95psi). He crossed the line in eighth place, 2:01 behind the winner.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was always going to be a hard world championships after the Olympics a few weeks ago," said Stander, who picked Specialized Fast Track (front at 21.5psi) and Renegade 1.95 (rear at 22.5psi) tires for the tricky conditions that ranged from pavement climbing to technical, slippery, rooty descents. "I think everyone in the field struggled to find good motivation to prepare for the race, but nonetheless, there were medals and a world championship title to fight for, so on race day, everyone brought his best game."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I felt I was lacking a little bit all week and felt a little tired in the race, but I suffered through and managed to come up through the field a little bit at the end. But the guys up front were riding faster, and I had to settle for eighth on the day."</p><p>
</p><p>
Christoph Sauser completed the final cross country world championship of his career for Switzerland in 16th place. He also raced the 2013 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper with Fast Trak and Renegade tires on the front and rear. Sauser will now focus on marathons and stage races.</p><p>
</p><p>
Japan's Kohei Yamamoto rode to 29th while Todd Wells was the best American finisher in 35th place. Both raced their 2013 Specialized S-Works Epics with 2013 RockShox SID fork with Specialized Brains.</p><p>
</p><p>
Finally, Howard Grotts put in a solid ride in his first year of under 23 men's racing, scoring a 16th place for the United States. After a congested start, Grotts took a steady approach. "I was just picking off three or four people each lap. I'd lose a little on the descents, but I'd play it safe there so I wouldn't lose more time than I had to."</p>

More...