Quantcast

Specialized jump bike P2

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
Hi, inspired by danny mcaskill I have decided to sell my bmx and buy a trial street bike. for around £300.
i found a nice Specialized Jump Bike 2009 P2 on a particular auction site and was wondering what the people in this forum think of it? or if they think theres better bikes out there?
any advice would be appreciated
thanks

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The P2 is a decent knockabout bike but it's not a Danny Mac bike at all. His bikes are 24 wheel, rigid, single speed and have geo with higher bottom bracket and shorter stays. He rides a very agile set up. You will not be able to throw that bike around like you see him doing. You also need very good brakes, I doubt the stockers would do.

I just finished my Danny Mac style bike. I need to change the gearing but it seems like it's going to be a fun all around bike. Weighs about 23 lbs.

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
wow eaterofdog nice bike, could you send me the spec list please,
simple ace v2 frame?

Last edited:

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
I was thinking i may get a light bmx frame move the parts from my current bmx bike onto it and as i get enough money i could convert it into a danny macaskill type of bike.
any thoughts or recommendations on a light weight bmx frame?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The problem with BMX frame is either the brakes suck (ie U brakes, brakes are key in trials) or the chainstays will be long as **** if you get a race frame with V brakes.

Honestly, I don't even bother discussing converted trials bikes. It's a waste of time and money that would be better spent getting a decent used bike.

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
Honestly, I don't even bother discussing converted trials bikes. It's a waste of time and money that would be better spent getting a decent used bike.
sorry to offend you and bring this up but i found a nice sunday model c and was thinking i could put some disc brakes on and a new stem and handlebars and would be good to go.

much cheaper as well...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
No offense, I just get tired of trying to keep people from wasting money. Trials is hard enough with a good bike.

Any other type of bike will have some serious issues. For example, does the C have a BMX rear hub? Then you will need to find a 110mm disc hub (good luck) as well as welding disc tabs on.

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
unfortunately i do not have enough money to buy a inspired or the 2012 Because Simple 2 Street but i was thinking i could by a street frame and ride it in a bmx setup until i have enough money to upgrade,
any advice or suggestions on a frame?
thanks

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Eaterofdog is spot on with everything he has said. The P2 (I ride one every day) is not a very good street bike; the bb is just too damn low.

Trying to convert a non-trials bike into a trials bike is not a very good idea for exactly the reasons he said. A trials frame has many features built in that can't really be replicated in a conversion. DON'T weld on disc tabs onto a frame not designed for disc brakes, especially for trials riding. Trials riding puts soooo much strain on the frame with a disc brake that disc-specific trials bikes are built with special reinforcement to handle those forces. Welding disc tabs on and riding trials is asking to break your frame.

As a general rule with bikes, if you can't afford a new bike that does what you want, then buy a decent used one. If you are sure that you want to do this kind of riding, then get a bike built specifically for that. If you don't, then you'll be spending more money later when parts break (and they will).

manual

Chimp
May 12, 2012
thanks for all the advice,
I live in the Uk so are there any good second hand places i could get a street bike from that you would recommend? or is it eBay?