Quantcast

Specialized Snatches McAndrews Away From Trek

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
"Zapata Espinoza, Trek’s brand manager..." so that's where Zap wound up...

Specialized Snatches McAndrews Away From Trek
DECEMBER 14, 2004 -- MORGAN HILL, CA (BRAIN)

Mike "Mick" McAndrews, arguably one of the industry's best suspension designers, has abruptly left Trek for Specialized, where he once served as vice president of engineering.

Earlier today, Specialized announced McAndrews departure from Trek and his return to Morgan Hill.

McAndrews’ decision apparently took Trek’s management by surprise. He had been on the payroll for about a month and was buying a home in Madison. Trek announced his hiring Nov. 15, calling him one of the industry’s most "respected and prolific suspension engineers."

Zapata Espinoza, Trek’s brand manager, has known McAndrews for years. Espinoza described him as a "brilliant suspension guy" and said he had looked forward to working with him.

"He left one broken-hearted Mexican in Wisconsin," Espinoza added.

Broken hearts aside, what makes McAndrews a much sought after executive is his role in innovative, commercially viable technology. And suspension, whether at the high-end or on entry-level models, is a defining component for bike companies' future growth. That’s why Trek had hired him.

McAndrews once raced motorcycles with Paul Turner and Steve Simon and worked for Kawasaki’s research and development division for 11 years. When Turner launched RockShox, McAndrews helped bring the Mag 21 to market.

He later joined Specialized. McAndrews, working with Bob Fox at Fox Racing Shox, developed Specialized’s "BRAIN" inertia-valve rear-suspension shock and is a co-holder of that patent.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
he actually spent a couple of days with zap and realized no job was worth it to deal with the king of all posers. sorry, but Zap is no Mike Sinyard....

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
lukeduke said:
he actually spent a couple of days with zap and realized no job was worth it to deal with the king of all posers. sorry, but Zap is no Mike Sinyard....
hehehe i met Zap at the Waco norba national my first impression was what a whiney lil' asskisser (sorry he just came off that way) i don't have anything personal against the guy a he was somewhat nice to this hick Texan, however he didn't seem like a guy i could spend a lotta time with tho' but, i tell you who is a class act and that is allison dunlap even though im' not worthy enough to carry her shoes she was a very plesant person to talk to and very down to earth.