Quantcast

specialized spotted

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That was the one that got raced last weekend. We asked the Specialized guy in the booth about it and he said that it was an '08 model and he didn't know anything else about it. (!!!) He then turned his back while I shot those pics. The athlete was gushing about the bike the whole time.

We also spotted the bike that was displayed that had a plaque attached to the stand stating that Specialized "could have come out with a 29"er earlier", but didn't want to, due to the fact that they wanted to do it right. Uh-huh.....read, "We wanted to see if there was any money in it first, so we waited till now and threw this aluminum hardtail at ya'all." Okay, so every company needs to make money, but this plaque was pretty condescending in my eyes.

Whatever!

At least there's more choices. Specialized is also going to have another Rock Hopper aluminum hardtail and at least one 29"er dually to.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd love to see an Enduro or at least a Stumpjumper fully, but I bet it will just be an Epic.

That thing looks pretty cool though!

I don't really see the plaque as condescending, as they were waiting for everything to get figured out before investing in the 29er market. Isn't that what everyone has been doing?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
All I needed to do was ask a Legend in the mountain biking industry if he wanted to take some time to make a few 29ers...he said, and I quote, "Let's make some ****ing Rad bikes..."

So I guess not everyone is waiting to see what the niche to get figured out :)

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
The sliding drop design is a smart move since a lot of people who buy hardtails in that price range tend to be at least curious about SS. Don't know how much stiffness they sacrifice, but consumers like options.

In general, though, this will make a fraction of the dent in the marketplace that their upcoming full suspension 29er will...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rode sliding drops on my street frame for a while and really didn't notice the flex.

It's definately a good call and I'm glad the big S is finally doing it.