Quantcast

Specialized SX Casing tires for DH?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Anyone running them on their DH bike? my wife got a SX trail last year but we put some lighter tires on for her (schwalbe's) so now I have these laying around and im curious how they would hold up for DH abuse.

I have a 2.3 Clutch SX and a 2.3 Chunder SX

Right now I have 2.6 maxxis ardent 3c's on the bike. Im going to be switching to regular tubes instead of DH so if its worth it I might switch the tires too.

I don't want to have to worry about them at all though so peace of mind is more important than weight savings but both is prefered...

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
SX holds up quite well for a lighter rider or milder terrain, but certainly can't absorb the same sort of abuse as a true 2 ply DH tire. Your success will depend largely on your ridding style and local terrain...

I'd run Clutch front, Chunder rear. The Clutch generally has better cornering traction while the Chunder has a little better straight line traction (compared to each other).

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
ok thanks, I am about 190lbs so not exactly a lightweight. I feel like im fairly smooth but it could be that im just slow enough to never do any damage ha ha

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
as a front tire for DH the sx are great
hee in Israel the DH trails have lots of rocks that will cut even a 2 ply maxxis tires
as front the sx hold up great
I run 2.35 maxxis dhr 2 ply in the back
and sx 2.3 on front
both tubless

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Well I decided to give them a shot to see how they hold up. If they pinch flat easy or I get a slash in them i'll switch them out.

I weighed them before I put them on and the Chunder was 1100 grams and the clutch was 1000. Seemed like it should work out ok since the rear one was the heavier one.

I haven't got a pinch flat in 2 years (knock on wood) even on my AM bike which is running 750 gram single ply's and I don't hold back on them either. These SX casing tires felt like some of the dual ply's I have laying around (Intense 909's). They don't fold up easily like single ply's. They can actually support their own weight while standing upright off the wheel.

We will see though. i will report back. I may have a deal on some of the new specialized butchers though so i might just go with those if these don't work out.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i found them to be good tires for anything but large square rocks, anything else they handle just fine.

just rem to have a few extra PSI in vs normal dual ply.

i run mine at around 30-35. (sx casing speshy, and exo casing maxxis)

i run my dual plys in the 25-30 range usually..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have The exact tires you have but in the 2.5... the Clutch up front the chunder in the rear.... Works great, and yes they old up just fine

at 265 I run 30 PSI front and rear, been running it like this for many years withno worries at all

I have run a chunder in teh front before, traction was fine, but like running a hi roller in teh front, you have a dead spot so to speak in the traction.... like you have to push past a gap of traction to get the side knobs to dig when in the front

EDIT.... Sorry I lied, I do have the 2.3's on right now......

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've been running the Clutch SX for everything for the past couple of seasons without any issues. Tubeless with Stans strips, I've killed 2 721 rear rims but have never got a flat.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Has anyone tried the DH and the SX versions of the same tires? Does one grip significantly better/differently than the other? I ask because the rubber compounds are slightly different - 50a center and 45a shoulder for the SX tires and 42a top layer and 70a base layer for the DH.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Has anyone tried the DH and the SX versions of the same tires? Does one grip significantly better/differently than the other? I ask because the rubber compounds are slightly different - 50a center and 45a shoulder for the SX tires and 42a top layer and 70a base layer for the DH.
Yes, for both the tires in question. Its exactly why i went with the sx over the DH. They are lighter, hold up, and there is not a disernable traction difference.

Although the tread on the DH seems to last longer

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
good to hear guys, Mine seemed a lot closer feeling to a 2 ply then a single ply when they are off the wheel.

Should get a few days on them this week hopefully. got a new DH bike so I am dying to try it

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've had great success using the Clutch SX with Stan's No-Tubes on ZTR Flow wheelset

very grippy, seems tough enough, light for a big volume tire, and very affordable for a soft compound tire, with a reasonable durability

AlanPally

Chimp
Jul 8, 2011
I've had great success using the Clutch SX with Stan's No-Tubes on ZTR Flow wheelset

very grippy, seems tough enough, light for a big volume tire, and very affordable for a soft compound tire, with a reasonable durability
Got to agree, come highly recommended from me also :thumb:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
just in case anyone is still wondering. I did end up switching them and have been riding them for a few months. So far so good. No pinch flats at all. The resorts are finally opening so I will have to go try them out on the nastier stuff around here.