Quantcast

Speed traps on trails

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Been that way in Mid Penninsula Openspace for years, Cat and mouse game where if you lose and they get you on radar its a $350 for going over the 15mph limit. Most judges will drop it to $50 if you go to court. I know where the rangers tend to hide and have always been under speed when lasered (so far anyways). Now the Lidar is spreading to bike hating Marin to our north, I'm surprised that it has taken them this long to implement it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lots more information on the radar/lidar ticketing on MTBR here

Last edited:
Been that way in Mid Penninsula Openspace for years, Cat and mouse game where if you lose and they get you on radar its a $350 for going over the 15mph limit. Most judges will drop it to $50 if you go to court. I know where the rangers tend to hide and have always been under speed when lasered (so far anyways). Now the Lidar is spreading to bike hating Marin to our north, I'm surprised that it has taken them this long to implement it.
The limits are insanely low, not that I am surprised by that. Are the trails stupidly crowded?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The limits are insanely low, not that I am surprised by that. Are the trails stupidly crowded?
no

Stravassholes on singletrack blasting downhill on weekends and BODs that are hiker/ equestrian dominated created the situation in mid pen. Marin just hates Mt bikers and it will be that way until the old bitties die off.

Luckily east bay parks is less heavy handed although their idea of single tack is a fire road and Soquel Demonstation State Forest which is totally pro bike and has hairball technical trails with almost no restrictions other than the trails have to be approved and all stunts must have a bail out ride around

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ah, another fine example of the equestrian "we are riding unpredictable and sometimes uncontrollable 1,000 lb behemoths and require everyone else to silently float past as to not disturb the tranquil equilibrium between myself and my trail-shitting glue beast" attitude.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fucking stravaholes. Just say no to strava.
I freely admit to using Strava. But it hasn't turned me into a d-bag. This same stuff existed before smart phones came around. Remember those little computers with the magnet in the front spokes? I've said hello to these trail dentists, moved over for them to let them steam past and they usually don't even wave or reply to the hello. Bunch of losers, it just means I won't offer them a beer in the parking lot.

And I have never seen a trail with a speed limit. That just seems odd to me. I've passed police cars rolling down hills in my old neighborhood before, with no issues.

Is this just a regional problem?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
shitting bricks about cyclists riding 20+mph, zero fucks given about speeding / reckless motorists killing pedestrians (including cyclists). 'Merica
Cyclists don't speed, bikes do. Why demonize the cyclist, we all know they are completely at the mercy of the tool at hand.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I freely admit to using Strava. But it hasn't turned me into a d-bag. This same stuff existed before smart phones came around. Remember those little computers with the magnet in the front spokes? I've said hello to these trail dentists, moved over for them to let them steam past and they usually don't even wave or reply to the hello. Bunch of losers, it just means I won't offer them a beer in the parking lot.

And I have never seen a trail with a speed limit. That just seems odd to me. I've passed police cars rolling down hills in my old neighborhood before, with no issues.

Is this just a regional problem?
also, -10 points for admitting to using strava

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
there is some state land by me that has some fun fire roads we have been ripping down long before strava....if there is a fast fun section of trail people are going pin it

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
there is some state land by me that has some fun fire roads we have been ripping down long before strava....if there is a fast fun section of trail people are going pin it
I don't have an issue with pinning it if you don't do stupid things. Leaving behind a self-incriminating record for everyone to see, in areas with long standing trail access conflicts, is beyond stupid IMHO.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
This is just a push for the e-bike community. The technology for putting governors on the e- bike will only increase their purpose and place on trails, while traditional bicycles will be thrown under the bus for being uncontrollable. Marin will have e-bike trails that wirelessly regulate the speed and top end.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I don't have an issue with pinning it if you don't do stupid things. Leaving behind a self-incriminating record for everyone to see, in areas with long standing trail access conflicts, is beyond stupid IMHO.
im not sticking up for strava people just saying people have been pinning it on multi use trails since mtb started