Quantcast

Speeding ticket pleading tips

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
"Parking on pavement" :D
Old thread but one more thing I'll add that can help that usually no one thinks of. This is coming from friends of mine that are state troopers and other tid bits I picked up over the years. So some of you might want to bookmark this once I post. ;)

Important

All the devices used to catch speeders have to be tested at least weekly if not daily. I.e Radar guns, Lidar (laser tool) ect. They have to be checked with tuning forks and then against another cruiser and filled out in a log book to keep a record. By law, the ticketing officer HAS to bring that documentation with them at your court date if he decides to show up. (Usually they dont because hardly anyone knows what I'm about to tell you.)

When in court and minding your manners you mention to the judge or magistrate that you disagree with the speed written on your ticket. (Also scan your ticket for ANY mistake such as location, wrong license plate # wrong color ect.) Sometimes they'll dismiss your case if the plate # or location is wrong.

So after disagreeing with the speed, you ask the office to produce the required paperwork proving the device he used on you was in proper working order..no paper work, then move to dismiss. And if he has the paper work then ask him to produce the necessary documents from the state speed shop that tests the cruisers to make sure their speedo's are accurate. No docs? Move to dismiss for lack of proof on the officers part.

One last thing... if you're being paced it has to be for a certain amount of time which is somewhere around 2 mintues or more depending on the state. When you're pulled over and the officer said he paced you, simply ask him how long (accept your ticket) then check it with the local reg's if it's too short of time then take the reg to court and move to dismiss.

DONT tell the officer you're going to check his pace time against the reg out of anger in the heat of the moment! :doh:

Hope this helps

Edit* By offering the advice in this post by no means am I encouraging anyone to break the law or do crazy speeding. It's simply another way to help in the heat of the moment when facing your ticket.
Thanks-

Last edited:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I originally plead guilty but changed my mind when I found out that it's 6 points on the license.
You're probably screwed. Once you enter a guilty plea it is typically recorded that way. If you come back and plead not guilty it starts a whole chain of events that you don't want to know about.

Get a lawyer, they will tell you what your options are.

In chicago we had "court supervision", you plead guilty, pay your fine, and if you stay clear for a year the charge is dropped. Had a friend with 2 tickets in a year, he gets a third while in michigan. Takes the day off of work, drives back there because 3 tickets means he loses his license.

Tells the judge "I plead guilty and ask for court supervision."

Just says "ok, guilty. Now what is this 'court supervision thing you are talking about'?"

Apparently they don't have it. He couldn't retract his guilty plea.

So, get ready to suck it up, princess, that move might have cost you big time, depending on the city. A lawyer can tell you how screwed you are, ridemonkey can't.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You're probably screwed. Once you enter a guilty plea it is typically recorded that way. If you come back and plead not guilty it starts a whole chain of events that you don't want to know about.

Get a lawyer, they will tell you what your options are.

In chicago we had "court supervision", you plead guilty, pay your fine, and if you stay clear for a year the charge is dropped. Had a friend with 2 tickets in a year, he gets a third while in michigan. Takes the day off of work, drives back there because 3 tickets means he loses his license.

Tells the judge "I plead guilty and ask for court supervision."

Just says "ok, guilty. Now what is this 'court supervision thing you are talking about'?"

Apparently they don't have it. He couldn't retract his guilty plea.

So, get ready to suck it up, princess, that move might have cost you big time, depending on the city. A lawyer can tell you how screwed you are, ridemonkey can't.
He went to court, plead down, and paid his fine. It's over.

i got pulled over once doing 58 in a 35. it was on a state route leaving Plattekill that dropped from a 50mph zone to 35mph zone as it came down a hill. i missed the sign and got pulled over. i was nice to the cop, and having outta state plates and a DH bike in the back, we chatted briefly about what i was doing there ("mountain biking sir"). He told me to show up at the court date, and he'll help plead me down to a lesser charge. It was a pain to have to drive up from Jersey to attend traffic court, but my ticket was reduced to "failure to obey traffic control device" and i skipped outta there with a lower fine and only 1 or 2points on the record, as opposed to 5 or 6.