Quantcast

Spelling lessons

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
While we're at it: There, their, and they're...

were, where

witch, which

they're freaking 5-letter words people, it can't be THAT hard to get them right.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Actually, "dammit" is one of those words like "irregardless" (I hate that trailer trash word), that was never really a word until people who couldn't speak proper English had said it so much that it was finally accepted into the lexicon. (More catering to the lowest common denominator). The true, proper way of spelling it is "damn it", as the expression is a derivative of the word "damn". As in, "I'll be damned.." and "Damn you to hell..."

So in conclusion, if you are going to speak English, speak it properly, damnit! :D

From Dictionary.com...
dam·mit P Pronunciation Key (dmt)
interj.
Used to express anger, irritation, contempt, or disappointment.

[Alteration of damn it.]

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm in agreeance with that.....

Ciaran said:
Actually, "dammit" is one of those words like "irregardless" (I hate that trailer trash word), that was never really a word until people who couldn't speak proper English had said it so much that it was finally accepted into the lexicon. (More catering to the lowest common denominator). The true, proper way of spelling it is "damn it", as the expression is a derivative of the word "damn". As in, "I'll be damned.." and "Damn you to hell..."

So in conclusion, if you are going to speak English, speak it properly, damnit! :D

From Dictionary.com...
dam·mit P Pronunciation Key (dmt)
interj.
Used to express anger, irritation, contempt, or disappointment.

[Alteration of damn it.]

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The one I hate is "I could care less."

If you could care less, that means you care.

It's "I couldn't care less."

I'm no spelling nazi but lots of errors are annoying and distracting, and reduce credibility. If the writer can't put some thought into communicating the concept, why should the reader pay attention to the concept?

In the end though, I pretty much couldn't care less. :)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
OGRipper said:

I'm no spelling nazi but lots of errors are annoying and distracting, and reduce credibility. If the writer can't put some thought into communicating the concept, why should the reader pay attention to the concept?

In the end though, I pretty much couldn't care less. :)

Me too.

And our receptionist at work never says the word "else". She says "elks". She's a newfie.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i hate it when people say alls. as in "alls im trying to say..."
all i can think of is its a bastardization of "all is..." which is a bastardization of "all that"
man where is our language headed? pretty soon we will have our seperate language, known as 'merican

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
come on guys, just think of it as the "progression" of English, much like progression in your beloved dh, snowboarding, skiing, etc.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
OGRipper said:

I'm no spelling Nazi (it's capitalized - MS spellcheck) but lots of errors are annoying and distracting, and reduce credibility. If the writer can't put some thought into communicating the concept, why should the reader pay attention to the concept?
If this is a spelling thread, then you're pet peeve is more about grammar than spelling.

Toshi said:
come on guys, just think of it as the "progression" of English, much like progression in your beloved dh, snowboarding, skiing, etc.
I beg to differ. Like snowboarding is to skiing, it's a REgression and not a PROgression.

Lastly, add and ad are two different things/concepts.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Pau11y said:
I beg to differ. Like snowboarding is to skiing, it's a REgression and not a PROgression.

Lastly, add and ad are two different things/concepts.
i actually agree with you: i'm a skier through and through (after a flirtation with snowboarding last season that left me feeling dirty and unfulfilled), and my progression comment was tongue in cheek.

and, yes, the short form of ADvertisement (note that it's not ADDvertisement) is an "ad".

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Toshi said:
i actually agree with you: i'm a skier through and through (after a flirtation with snowboarding last season that left me feeling dirty and unfulfilled), and my progression comment was tongue in cheek.
I know. Only funnin' :D

Edit: Alright, screw this, I'm gonna just go buy another pair of shorts and go ride. It's 75 degrees out and sunny and I'm sick and tired of waiting for mine to dry in the laundry!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
While we're venting...

It's:
Ask, not axe...
Sandwich, not sammich and not sangwich!
A dog eat dog world... NOT a doggy dog world.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bldr_Freerider said:
Oh, of course.

Also, "... do to the fact..."

DUE DUE DUE!
Shall I mention the fact that the phrase, "due to the fact that" is stupid anyway?

What's wrong with "due to..."? More often than not, I find that people who use that phrase are only trying to sound smarter than they really are, anyway.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
There seem to be an unreasonable number of kiddos here who think "maybe" is spelled "mabe" or "maby.":mumble:

You don't see this one much on the board but it bugs me in speech is "The thing is is that," "the problem is is that," etc. Dangnmit, say "the think is that"

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I love the way people try to spell the word "tomorrow". It usually ends up looking like "tamarow", "tommaro", or "tammorrow".