Quantcast

Spent the day boarding...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I snowboarded for most of the day. My friend and I got in trouble with our respective Misses for being gone to long, I felt like a kid again out there. I've been pushing myself to go to the gym all the time and I've been pushing myself to go boarding as much as possible and it's been great. I forgot how much I loved this sport and the time I've spent at the gym has really helped me get back into it.

I had an awesome day... I was pretty sick of seeing people on the slopes with cell phones.

yeah i dont get the cell phone thing....i always have mine with me (part of the job) but i never have it on when riding boards or bikes...jsut there for whatever reason, emergency or when at lunch, but on the hill? give me a break. glad to hear you got on the mountain though that is awesome

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Zman said:
yeah i dont get the cell phone thing....i always have mine with me (part of the job) but i never have it on when riding boards or bikes...jsut there for whatever reason, emergency or when at lunch, but on the hill? give me a break. glad to hear you got on the mountain though that is awesome
Yeah and all the little kids "texting" each other on the lift.

I had to carry mine for the first time ever the other day because a friend was running late so I took a few runs before meeting up with him. Today I made sure to leave it in the car.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
where did you go? i had to use my cell a few times today but i only use it when im on the lift alone, at the top, or at the bottom and not riding. since i dont use my cell that much, most calls are about something that may be important so i cant totally ignore them. i had a blast at loon today. they opened up some of the glades which had a lot more snow than expected. i am glad that i talked myself out of that 7 foot drop in those glades though. it probably wouldn't have turned out well since i'd have to slow down right after i landed and the run in was a little wierd.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude i think that pics are much needed. i havent gotten to go any this year cause well nashville is flat and its been way the hell to warm, and it doesnt help much that im a poor college kid. well glad you enjoyed yourself stosh and hope to see some new pictures.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
gnurider1080 said:
where did you go? i had to use my cell a few times today but i only use it when im on the lift alone, at the top, or at the bottom and not riding. since i dont use my cell that much, most calls are about something that may be important so i cant totally ignore them. i had a blast at loon today. they opened up some of the glades which had a lot more snow than expected. i am glad that i talked myself out of that 7 foot drop in those glades though. it probably wouldn't have turned out well since i'd have to slow down right after i landed and the run in was a little wierd.
I ride Mountain Creek in NJ.

Hey I had been meaning to talk to you actually.
My fiancee' tried boarding 2 years ago with limited success when I tried to teach her. Is it worth paying the money for a lesson?

PS. I picked up a pair of FLOW bindings, BEST purchase I've made for my snowboard in YEARS!!!!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
frznnomad said:
dude i think that pics are much needed. i havent gotten to go any this year cause well nashville is flat and its been way the hell to warm, and it doesnt help much that im a poor college kid. well glad you enjoyed yourself stosh and hope to see some new pictures.
I'm waiting to bring my camera till I start pulling off some better jumps and start doing the rails again.

It's really icy down here right now so I'm trying to slowly get back into it.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
stosh said:
I ride Mountain Creek in NJ.

My fiancee' tried boarding 2 years ago with limited success when I tried to teach her. Is it worth paying the money for a lesson?

PS. I picked up a pair of FLOW bindings, BEST purchase I've made for my snowboard in YEARS!!!!!!
Nooooooo, Flow=bad.

Friend of mine got a set this year, they already broke, in a race run no less.

A lesson or two to help her learn the basics would probibly be a good idea.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
stosh said:
it most certainly is. until i took the training course, i didnt know how to explain certain things the right way so an instructor will most likely help your fiancee learn how to ride a little faster. and while it is a bit more expensive than a group lesson, a private lesson is worth every penny. she will get 1-on-1 instruction which will help her learn a lot faster. sometimes if you take a group lesson you will get lucky and not many people will be taking lessons so you may be alone, but at larger mountains that is extremely rare.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Thats awesome.

They should have an age limit of cell phones. I hate seeing little nine year olds talking to "someone" and they have a better phone then me.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
rpk1988 said:
Thats awesome.

They should have an age limit of cell phones. I hate seeing little nine year olds talking to "someone" and they have a better phone then me.
i saw a kid who looked like he was 8 getting on a lift from the singles line while he was talking on his cell phone. it was one of those wtf? moments.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Stoshley, we should all get together and ski/board one weekend. That would be sick. :thumb:
Yeah I wasn't aware you and Beth ride.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In defence of cells, they can be pretty useful if you need assistance. Certainly better then lying injured in the snow until someone finds you.

I'm even more poncy though, I normally take Motorola radios on the slopes with me. :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Like I said, pretty poncy. :)

Actually I've seen quite a few people with them and I certainly often get crosstalk on my chosen frequency, which considering the number of possible options would indicate they are fairly popular. They're pretty small these days too.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Flow bindings kicka$$! Me and a buddy just got them this year and they are totally worth it. Three rides on them so far and no problems at all and they're so easy to get in and out of. The whole cellphone thing sounds really foreign to me since they don't work on the mountain (Mt. Baker, WA).

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Glad to hear you had a good time, Stosh!! MBC and I had a fantastic day at Mt Snow Saturday. :)

The cell phone thing doesn't really bother me. What does bother me are the idiots smoking in the lift lines.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
glad to hear you had a good time.... im almost considering riding again.. its been a while.
I would def. get aubrey a class or two, instructors have a great way of teaching and can easily recognize what people are doing wrong. when you try and teach a friend you wind up telling them all sorts of things in random oreder.. its too much information for a newbie to handle.. and then there is the significant other problem.... for some reason they tend to think your picking on them :) . let an outsider do it.. she will learn more quickly

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
glad to hear you had a good time.... im almost considering riding again.. its been a while.
I would def. get aubrey a class or two, instructors have a great way of teaching and can easily recognize what people are doing wrong. when you try and teach a friend you wind up telling them all sorts of things in random oreder.. its too much information for a newbie to handle.. and then there is the significant other problem.... for some reason they tend to think your picking on them :) . let an outsider do it.. she will learn more quickly
I keep looking at the switch back trail that the gondola follows up the mtn thinking about how fun that trail is to ride with a bike in the summer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Glad to hear you had a good time, Stosh!! MBC and I had a fantastic day at Mt Snow Saturday. :)

The cell phone thing doesn't really bother me. What does bother me are the idiots smoking in the lift lines.
You can smoke in the resturant in the lodge in NJ.