Quantcast

Spesh Butcher side knob roll

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
Terribly sorry if this has been discussed before but what's the consensus on the Specialized Butcher/Slaughter? I'm looking at a Minion-ish tyre at the front with a semi slick at the back but I can't find the Minion SS in a dual ply version and I'm not a big fan of Schwalbe tyres so this basically leaves only the Spesh offerings.

Point is that I've had a Butcher Control before that I couldn't get on with because of the side knobs folding over on hardpack but I can imagine the DH version being more stable because of the harder inner layer of rubber that the Control lacks (70a base with a 42a top layer vs a single 50a compound) and stiffer sidewalls.

Then again a Minion ST is 42a and I've never had them rolling on me.

Does anyone have experience with both the DH and Control versions? Or the DH one and a Minion?

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
You should definitely look at the Grid versions if you're considering the Butcher/Slaughter combo. The Butcher Grid shares the same rubber as the DH version (though still the shorter knobs). I think you'll find them a lot more stable all around than the Control versions.

Fun fact: The Slaughter shoulder knobs are actually just a little more supported than the Butcher knobs due to a typo gone right.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fuck man. Sorry to hear it.

I'll cover a plane ticket if you want to walk into schwalbe headquarters, grab everyone by the neck and scream "listen up fuckers, here's what's up!"

Seriously this is why we can't have nice things. Got someone who knows what they're doing? Fuck'em! We need to hire some 'new ideas™'

I hope this is temporary.

If not I've got a ton of leftover oxycodone from surgery if you want to get a good down time habit going.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Find something that looks like a misspelling of "child cocker too"
You know of anywhere that has the softer rubber version for a not-stupid price? 26" obviously. I can only find deals on the harder rubber.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You know of anywhere that has the softer rubber version for a not-stupid price? 26" obviously. I can only find deals on the harder rubber.
Okay, I just spent 15 minutes looking at the innernetz for you.........

I don't. It's because wholesale is still kind of a stupid price.

Seems like you should be able to find some stock for those outdated wheels though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Aww
Okay, I just spent 15 minutes looking at the innernetz for you.........

I don't. It's because wholesale is still kind of a stupid price.

Seems like you should be able to find some stock for those outdated wheels though.
Awwwwww thanks.

But yeah, them fuckers is expensive. Worth it though.

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
You just sliding out on them or actually tearing knobs?

Or more to the point: how do you know they're folding over? They're pretty short on the control ones.

The grids are an option too btw......
Fair enough, they felt like they were folding over, lean the bike over on bermless hardpacked turns and at a certain angle the bike felt like rolling sideways but not drifting, which caused some heart stopping moments at speed..

No knob tearing issues, actually I was pretty impressed with their durability.

As for the casing, I used to run Maxxis dual plies and had plenty of rim pings on rockier tracks so I'm a bit relunctant to try a lighter casing TBH.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Grids are heavier casings than control

Usually when you're truly folding knobs over you'll definitely be tearing knobs about halfway through. I've never felt like that was happening on the smaller butchers like the controls which is why I asked. I think you just need a beefier tire. The grids are that a little bit but the absolute mother of all cornering treads is the Michelin wildrockr2. They're not light though.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
thanks for the links to the michelin at an acceptable price. been wanting to try that tire forever and completely forgot about it until this thread.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
link didn't work for me but they're no more than hr2/dhf/etc on chain reaction... (the ones I'd order were $48 each) didn't seem super weighty at 900-ish grams for a normal wheelsize either :D

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
@Above - those Michelins look really good, it's a shame they don't seem to be offering them with a proper DH casing (or I'm missing something).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@Above - those Michelins look really good, it's a shame they don't seem to be offering them with a proper DH casing (or I'm missing something).
They are, and they don't. I'd love a smaller trail bike casing one too, to run on the rear. They're nominally a 2.35, but run pretty big.

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
One more question, assuming I'm entitled to go slightly off topic in my own thread - what effect does tyre height have on cornering? I know a low bb will rail corners better but is this because of the bb's position relative to the axles or to the ground?