Quantcast

Spider bite, need advice *Doctors?

bigginsis said:
so....what happened next?!? did it turn out to be an ingrown hair or a spider bite? i am waiting on the edge of my chair...
It's a spider bite...it spread beyond the circle they made and is now starting to look like a volcanoe just like the description and pictures of that one link someone provided. However, It's not getting too much worst, I'm on antibiotics every 6 hours so I think its fighting against it...Time will tell..

As for the other people who like to poke and make fun, lick nuts :nuts: :eviltongu

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
NineFingers said:
you guys are starting to freak me out... what if it was just a normal house spider, then i'd be paying a heft ER bill for cortizone...

ihad a friend who was bitten by a brown recluse and waited to go to the hospital because she didnt want to pay an er bill for a house spider bite. the poison ended up going septic and she paid a hefty bill for a three day hospital instead.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
NineFingers, just FYI: that thing in my Avatar... it's a Funnel Web. It's not found here in the US (Australia). But if it was to bit you, you'd be DEAD in 20 mins! Next time, get to the doc first and then post and ask questions later.

Edit: actually, if I recall, you actually go terminal in something like 8 mins, and death in 20 mins.

Pau11y said:
NineFingers, just FYI: that thing in my Avatar... it's a Funnel Web. It's not found here in the US (Australia). But if it was to bit you, you'd be DEAD in 20 mins! Next time, get to the doc first and then post and ask questions later.
Well that's why I didn't freak out at first. The only thing that is worth freaking out in my area are black widows, which, I would of felt a really bad pain from the bite. I didn't feel a thing when it bite me, just noticed the bite after a few hours. I've been bitten numerous of times before from bugs and spiders so I didn't think anything of it until it started to show signs of the brown reclusse, at which, I went to the docs. I study medicine people, I know wtf is going on, I just posted up here at the point to where I wanted to bounce some ideas. I'm familiar with my surroundings, and what's in it, especially during the winter months. I appreciate how everyone responded, however I don't need the "you're an idiot" comments.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Pau11y said:

Edit: actually, if I recall, you actually go terminal in something like 8 mins, and death in 20 mins.
Mortality/Morbidity: Fatalities have been recorded only following bites by Sydney funnel web spider (A. robustus).

The mortality rate is difficult to determine from data on the era before antivenom. From 1927-1980, 13 deaths attributed to A robustus were reported in the medical literature and news media.

Severe envenomation, but not death, has been reported following bites by Hadronyche species.

Death occurs between 15 minutes and 3 days following the bite. In children, fatality is usually early and caused by pulmonary edema, whereas, in adults, fatality is usually later and caused by persistent hypotension or other complications.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
dh girlie said:
That's ok...I didn't read the whole thread either...BUT...the red ring did spread so it may not be an ingrown hayer after all...

Once you view the "red ring" you have 7 days to live. :devil: :dead:

Be afraid!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
NineFingers said:
Well that's why I didn't freak out at first. The only thing that is worth freaking out in my area are black widows, which, I would of felt a really bad pain from the bite. I didn't feel a thing when it bite me, just noticed the bite after a few hours. I've been bitten numerous of times before from bugs and spiders so I didn't think anything of it until it started to show signs of the brown reclusse, at which, I went to the docs. I study medicine people, I know wtf is going on, I just posted up here at the point to where I wanted to bounce some ideas. I'm familiar with my surroundings, and what's in it, especially during the winter months. I appreciate how everyone responded, however I don't need the "you're an idiot" comments.

Did you go back to that dumbarse doctor that overturned the nurse's opinion and called it an ingrown hair?
:nuts:

-BB- said:
Did you go back to that dumbarse doctor that overturned the nurse's opinion and called it an ingrown hair?
:nuts:
No, and it wasn't a nurse, it was another doctor, a resident doc who thought it was a spider bite too...then cocky chic doc comes blazin' in thinking she runs the world, barely looks at it and rules it out as an ingrown hair...then she orders a tetanous shot(wtf?) and prescribes some antibiotics...just in case :confused:

I've been monitoring the bite, seems like its getting better, but definently started to grow inwards like a volcanoe.

I think the antibiotics and the fact that it bit me on some fatty tissue is why it's healing, if it had been on an area that there wasn't much fatty tissue, then things might be different.

Pau11y said:
My point was to er on the side of caution (not calling NineFingers an idiot).

Here we go, found this link to the Funnel Web:
http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/Fws.htm#Funnel web Spider bite in Australia

I didn't know about the anti-venom 'till now.
No I'm not saying you were calling me an idiot, it's just that some on here are str8 up pricks. It's also hard to determine voice tones and how the words are coming across on a forum... Thanks for the input though.

Pau11y said:
Here we go, found this link to the Funnel Web:
http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/Fws.htm#Funnel web Spider bite in Australia

I didn't know about the anti-venom 'till now.
See this is why I like cold weather climates!!! I can't stand the fact that these lil buggers can creap up on you in the middle of the night and the next thing you know your dead. I think reptiles and insects are neat, but only by learning and watching them from a safe distance, per say, the discovery channel...lol.
Same goes for snakes, can't count the number of times I almost got bit by a rattler... :eek:

I'd rather take my chances with something I can see coming at me then something I can't.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
NineFingers said:
I think the antibiotics and the fact that it bit me on some fatty tissue is why it's healing, if it had been on an area that there wasn't much fatty tissue, then things might be different.
I dunno...all I know is that when I got bitten on the knuckle by a black widow, my skin was eaten away and not by the f'n spider...but by whatever he left in me. It hurt like a bitch...I couldn't even hang my hand down my side the next day. The antibiotics (got a shot at the hospital and was on double dosage for two days of the oral stuff) didn't stop my skin from rotting away...it looked like hell for a month. It was so gross. Worse than that was the thought of a black widow in my bed...sooo goddamn gross it's giving me the heebeejeebees years later! I still have a purple mark on my knuckle 9 years later!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
NineFingers said:
You aint lying, I now ruffle my bed covers and search for a spider before I get in...paranoid! I also shake out all my clothes now lol...
Hell yeah...me too...AND I shake my shoes...once I was getting laughed at for shaking out my shoes...and low and behold what should be hiding in one? A BIG ASS SPIDER! GROSS! I HATE HATE HATE SPIDERS will all my heart.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
Hell yeah...me too...AND I shake my shoes...once I was getting laughed at for shaking out my shoes...and low and behold what should be hiding in one? A BIG ASS SPIDER! GROSS! I HATE HATE HATE SPIDERS will all my heart.
I like 'em. Every time I see a web with all those damn annoying-ass little flying insects I thank the Lord Almighty for the spiders............. :thumb:

-S.S.-

dh girlie said:
You would not like our camp on Lake Champlain, where you can feel the spiders run sprints across your face at night, then.

J

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
johnbryanpeters said:
You would not like our camp on Lake Champlain, where you can the spiders run sprints across your face at night, then.

J

No, I certainly would not like it there at all. I was terrified at my friends families cabin a few weeks ago...it's in the woods near the snowboarding places and there were ginormous spiders...another cabin I stayed in last season there were tons of spiders..and some must've gotten IN my sleeping bag and IN my pajamas, cuz I had like two spider bites on my stomach. BASTARDS...horrid things.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i once was bitten by a manta-ray or devil fish while surfing on a desert beach when i was 15, and i was only with my cousin.

it was the strongest pain i have ever endured. had to paddle back to the shore like 50 yards, yell at my cousin to come to shore, then almost passed out of the pain, while my cousin squeezed my foot to get the blood and venom out...

i got pain killer shot like 40 minutes after being bitten, and then some other shot for the venom... damn it felt like my whole leg was burning from the inside....

ALEXIS_DH said:
i once was bitten by a manta-ray or devil fish while surfing on a desert beach when i was 15, and i was only with my cousin.

it was the strongest pain i have ever endured. had to paddle back to the shore like 50 yards, yell at my cousin to come to shore, then almost passed out of the pain, while my cousin squeezed my foot to get the blood and venom out...

i got pain killer shot like 40 minutes after being bitten, and then some other shot for the venom... damn it felt like my whole leg was burning from the inside....
In San Louis Obispo there's a spot where there's a jettie(?) that is super warm that comes from the nuclear plant. Well heading out in the afternoon in the jettie duck diving the waves I noticed jelly fish particles everywhere...We were like wtf and then all of a sudden we were surrounded by particles of jelly fish. We assumed that a boat drove by and the must of went through a school of them. Needless to say the next wave as we duck dove it put all the particles into our suits. It hurt like no other, even jelly fish particles on the skin feel like millions of bee bites. We caught the next wave into shore and got out of the suites that were filled with jelly fish particles...all of us had red bodies from all the stings...talk about a sh!tty time!