Quantcast

Spider Impressions

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
So, not one person that I know has anything bad to say about the Spider.

spider.jpg

This bike utilizes a Virtual Pivot Point (VPP) suspension linkage which Intense and Santa Cruz have pioneered and perfected. You can read the details about the design here.
Being really pleased with the way my current (albeit broken) ride behaves, the Spider had some big shoes to fill.

So here's the breakdown.

Spec
This bike came to me with a full XTR kit, including the controversial Dual Control levers, Bontrager Race Lite wheelset, and Bontrager Jones XR tires.

I 86'd the Bonti wheels and tires, in favor of my Royale wheelset and Panaracer Rampage tires. No hard feelings towards the folks in Wisconsin, but my wheels are stronger and lighter. The XRs are not suitable tires for the type of terrain I was playing on.
The good news is, there was plenty of room for the 2.35 Rampage.
If I could have, I would have 86'd the Dual Control levers too, but I'll get to that.

Set up
The bike came with a set of low rise bars, and a low rise 110mm stem that was inverted. This gives a good bar height relative to the saddle for riders that would be riding a size medium frame. As I am not a medium frame candidate, I flipped the stem to get the right height. I had the correct saddle height, but the top tube proved to be too short for me.
While I was on the phone with Fox (regarding the rear shock on my RIP) I learned how to get the most out of the RP23 that this Spider is equipped with.
Sag was about 10mm measured at the shock, with the Pro Pedal setting on 2.
The Reba was set at 90/90 (positive/negative).

Ride
Like everyone before me who has spent time on this bike, I marveled at how well it climbed. One of the reasons why VPP is so popular, is the way the suspension feels. It literally squirts you forward. It feels very snappy, and, if you have your shock set up correctly, you are in a "zone" that is quite forgiving when it comes to rider input. So with every bump, the suspension works to get you over the bump through it's stroke. It helps you keep your momentum, and, add the momentum retaining qualities of the big wheels, well... you get the picture.

When the trail pointed down, the bike was confident. Despite having a top tube that was too short for my size, I was able to keep it in line. The steep head angle of 74 degrees made the bike very responsive. I only got into a pickle once, and it was here that the short top tube may have been a saver. During this point, I noticed that the frame was stiff enough laterally to recover form my little incident, which basically had me hurtling down a steep section on my rear wheel between 2 tight trees over some off camber roots, and having the trail turn hard right before the front wheel landed. I was going way too fast. A short wheelbase and agile handling was a lifesaver.

Which leads me to some negative comments.
Brakes? What brakes? The XTR stoppers barely even slowed me down. If I'd have had the option, I would have pulled the Avid Juicys off my RIP for this ride as well as the wheels.
Dual Control is Shimano's off road version of their road levers. What is good for the goose, isn't necessarily good for the gander. On road bikes, it's great. Most roads are smooth, unlike off road trails. What you wind up with, is a terribly cumbersome lever assembly, that controls the shifting and braking with one lever. Not so good when the ground is rushing up at you repeatedly. I shifted my gears while I was braking and bouncing down the trail. Seeing as how the brakes weren't even working, not being in any sort of gear was just downright annoying.
Lots of folks like this set up, so I may offend some. I think it's junk.
Don't even get me started on Rapid Rise...

The bottom bracket is 12.75", even lower than the RIP! Needless to say, I was prepared for pedal strikes.

The rear triangle seemed wide. I kept hitting my heels on the swingarm, but this was early in the ride, and I noticed it less throughout the ride. Maybe I can chalk this up to the fit not being right.

Being a demo bike, this thing has been ridden hard and put away wet often. I could only find a few gears that would not grind or skip. When switching the rear wheel, I had to fix the spacing of the rear brake caliper, and I also noticed that the drop outs were 140mm apart. hmmm.
I would imagine, that as a demo bike, it probably isn't a first quality frame. A headset with an extra 5mm above the crown race is necessary for the crown of the fork to clear the down tube. Hopefully, an oversight that won't plague production frames.

Enough with the negatives!

Descending was as comfortable as could be, despite the smallish frame. I really thought the steep head angle would be twitchy, but it really isn't.

On level singletrack, the quick steering, snappy suspension and few gears that worked allowed me to pull way ahead of my riding partner. This is clearly a race weapon. I was not able to get a gear where I could go 90%, but I can only imagine what it would be like.

I'm sold.

I'd have to say, that overall, I'm impressed. There are lots of odd things about this bike that might make some folks nervous, but the reality is, it delivers all it promises. And then some. Put some good components on it, fix the crown clearance issue and you have a serious machine, capable of dishing it out on race day, or just flowing through the woods with your friends.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
Personally I think 14" would do it, on a 5.5" travel frame. Sagged, it should measure about 12.5"
It would definitely be an EC specific geometry.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Honestly, I don't think you could make a rideable BB high enough to really escape pedal strikes up here. My Uzzi with 14.125" BB gets plenty of pedal strikes (yes, I know it sags pretty low thanks to 7.75" of travel, but still...)

But a BB that sags to 12.5-13 would be great. My Paragon's got a 12.4" bb, and I get less pedal strikes on that bike than I do on the Uzzi.

Glad to hear the Spider's good. Too light for me, though. Can't wait for the 29er 5.5...

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
George, do you think pedal strikes could also be increased by having a longer wheelbase in conjunction with the BB height? I find that the F-29 Cannondale is striking the pedals with a similar BB height to my Inbred. In fact, the two bikes lay out nearly identically with the exception of the head angle and wheelbase. The Inbred's being a shade less than 43 inches and the C'dale spot on 44 inches.

I totally agree with your asessments of Dual Control and Rapid Rise! :biggrin: Thanks for that, it made me laugh to finally see someone else write it as I have been saying it all along!

Good review. Are you guys getting that rain out there? It looks nasty on radar. Probably won't be riding on Bird Day if it rains, huh?

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
When the pedal strikes happen, it's definitely a combination of suspension compression while pedalling. I don't find the wheelbase to be that long on either the RIP or the Spider, so I think that the bike, already sagged, gets even lower while absorbing a hit, thus making my feet fly out of the pedals at inopportune moments.
As I recall, your Inbred is rigid? I think the Lefty is dropping the BB on you while it's doing it's job of only holding up 1/2 the bike! :brows:

We had the first really hard frost up here this morning, where the temps didn't get above 32 until late afternoon. I took my boy for a walk in the woods, and you can see in the colder hollows these really cool frozen dirt stalagmites creeping up from the wet spots.

It is supposed to stay nice where we are though, which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. We have a pre bird ride planned tomorrow, and Friiday a bunch of is are going to New Hampshire to ride the annual Turkey Burner. It's supposed to be in the 50s...

If all goes well, I'll post some pix.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
George: You got a point there! :biggrin: I tried the Lefty on a softer setting than the factory advises for my weight. I've now increased that setting to be in line with those recommendos. We'll see how it works out.

However; for a bit more of an apples to apples comparo, I did ride the Dorothy steel hardtail with a White Brothers IMV fork on the same trails earlier in the fall and absolutely no pedal strikes. The dorothy had a wheelbase more in line with what the Inbred has. I think there is something to this wheelbase thing, but I'll have to be more attentive to details on upcoming rides.

Hope things clear up for all of you out East. It's absolutely gorgeous for late November here. 60 degrees and sunny! Too bad the sun doesn't stay up very long these days, and me with no lights!