Quantcast

Spider in the garden

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Anyone know what kind of spider this is? In western-pennsylvania.

IMG_8391.JPG

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That spider is named Bob, he used to live next to my cousin. Nice guy but likes his beer a little too much if you know what I mean.

I have never regarded wolf spiders as dangerous.

"Wolf spiders will inject venom if continually provoked. Symptoms of their venomous bite include swelling, mild pain, and itching. In the past, necrotic bites have been attributed to some South American species, but further investigation has indicated that those problems that did occur were probably actually due to bites by members of other genera. Australian wolf spiders have also been associated with necrotic wounds, but careful study has likewise shown them not to produce such results." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn...

Wolf spider is the most dangerous in Pennsylvania... and I've only seen those twice. Just curious if anyone knows wtf this thing is. Body/legs are definitely along the lines of a grass spider.

Wolf spiders are some of the most common and numerous spiders out there. My yard back in Va had several for every square foot. They do not have webs but really good night vision. Ambush predators that wait for insects to pass by. They pose 0 harm to humans. They can be spotted easily at night with a headlamp. Their eyes contain retro-reflectors that help with night vision, this causes their eyes to glow green when illuminated by a light source close to your eyes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Mediocre!
I opened this thread expecting a new Urban Dictionary term: An hour after I swiped on her picture, she was at my place, bent over my sofa, and I was giving her a spider in the garden.