Quantcast

Spikes for shoes/boots

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think I asked this last winter, but can't find the post..

What micro spikes do yall use for hiking on icy stuff?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Toss up between Kahtoola and Hillsound.

Ordered some Hillsound Ultras which were on sale and came out cheaper. I like that they have an additional velcro strap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Figures, order spikes and then this stupid lace strap snaps today while doing them up.

I wonder why the newer models don't have this useless "feature"... :twitch:

Anyone ever had Keen boots break before? Admittedly these are a few years old, I wonder if they'll somehow give me a discount on a new pair?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They supplied keens at work, but i rarely ever wear them outside the office, they are so wide (not W sized) they interfere with airplane pedals

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a pair of Gaerne Winter riding shoes. They are made from Gortex. They have 2 holes on the front of the sole for spikes. I have tried to attain them to no avail. Gortex means they are cold as fuck when it is windy out. Even with the little inside booty. The material the sole is made of a material that seems to radiate cold somehow. They cost $9000 also.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Keens wear out stupid fast, as do much of today's idiotic contemporary plastic footwear. My last pair of their boots lasted less than a year.
These ones have lasted about 4 or 5 years, I'm not sure really. But in that time frame I've had to repair stitching on both and replace some of the weird eyelet lace things. The tread hasn't really worn down, though I've only really used them for hiking on snow and on the fat bike.

But yeah most boots and shoes seem to be the same now. Some leather, with a whole lot of plastic and whatnot in there. And fancy features like the lace thing that snapped on mine above.

I think I'm going to replace them with these, I know I know, still Keen, but its what is easy to find around here that I can actually try on. And without jumping up into the $300-400 range.

And then will be on the hunt for some hiking shoes/boots that give good ankle support, which I'll use for the spring/fall and occasional summer outing.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Figures, order spikes and then this stupid lace strap snaps today while doing them up.

I wonder why the newer models don't have this useless "feature"... :twitch:

Anyone ever had Keen boots break before? Admittedly these are a few years old, I wonder if they'll somehow give me a discount on a new pair?
I've had good luck with Keen hiking boots, not so much with their winter counterparts. Last year bought a pair of all plastic Columbia Bugaboot. They are still like new. The Michelin sole is by far the stickies one I ever had. Even on ice they are incredible.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always splurge for all leather Merrills when i want a good boot.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got my spikes and they at least fit onto my new boots nicely. Tiny bit of wiggle on one or two of the chains - I'm guessing once you're out there, it won't be noticed?

Now that I have some good, insulated boots, I'll probably be on the lookout for some boot/shoe hybrid things for the other months (usually would just use the old boots for spring/fall and these sturdy sandal things for summer when its hot as balls out).

The size guide for them says they'd fit on hiking boots/shoes, but I don't see how without them being too loose. I guess we'll see...