Quantcast

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Listening to the elevator repairmen outside my office talk about this issue has been very enlightening. I wasn't aware that Obama himself caused the explosion and sabatoged the emergency response just so more Americans would be out of work and have to turn to welfare.
What a bastard that guy is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Listening to the elevator repairmen outside my office talk about this issue has been very enlightening. I wasn't aware that Obama himself caused the explosion and sabatoged the emergency response just so more Americans would be out of work and have to turn to welfare.
What a bastard that guy is.
what union does he ironically belong to?

but that's a hard one to peg: he's obviously uneducated, sounds white (for minorities to openly poo-poo the hnic is beyond rare among the blue collar types), so i guess it's possible he's a tbagger sympathizer, and quite possibly racist

i'd love to get his theories on how elevators just "break", esp after his kind "fixes" them

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Seriously, they've been working on the elevator in this 3 story building for at least 5 weeks. It worked fine before they started :confused:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That is normal for any lost business payments from insurance etc.

We had a building collapse in a snowstorm and insurance paid for lost income - its taxable since its replacement of lost income. We paid contractors for their lost time and they will get taxed too. There is NOTHING special about the BP incident to give them a tax break - its the same exact thing so there is nothing abnormal or unexpected going on:rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
whiny little pressies, or gov't coverup:

Media, boaters could face criminal penalties by entering oil cleanup 'safety zone'
The Coast Guard has put new restrictions in place across the Gulf Coast that prevent the public - including news photographers and reporters covering the BP oil spill - from coming within 65 feet of any response vessels or booms on the water or on beaches.
View full sizeScott Threlkeld, The Times-PicayuneWorkers lay protective boom in Lake Borgne near the Mississippi line on Thursday.

According to a news release from the Unified Command, violation of the "safety zone" rules can result in a civil penalty of up to $40,000, and could be classified as a Class D felony. Because booms are often placed more than 40 feet on the outside of islands or marsh grasses, the 65-foot rule could make it difficult to photograph and document the impacts of oil on land and wildlife, media representatives said.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
at least it isn't the worst....
Graphic fail - missing the biggest and longest lasting one:

NYT said:
As many as 546 million gallons of oil spilled into the Niger Delta over the last five decades, or nearly 11 million gallons a year, a team of experts for the Nigerian government and international and local environmental groups concluded in a 2006 report. By comparison, the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 dumped an estimated 10.8 million gallons of oil into the waters off Alaska.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/africa/17nigeria.html?_r=1

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
only the most ardent defender can defend this:

obama said:
“I’m not going to rest or be satisfied until the leak is stopped at the source, the oil in the Gulf is contained and cleaned up, and the people in the Gulf are able to go back to their lives and their livelihoods.”
WH said:
The Obama administration has come out with more criticism of BP's chief executive, who has already been facing intense pressure in America over his handling of the Gulf Of Mexico oil disaster.

The White House attacked Chief Executive Officer Tony Hayward for taking time off from dealing with the disaster to watch a yacht race off the south coast of Britain.

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel called the boating incident "part of a long line" of public relations "gaffes and mistakes" by the BP boss.
article said:
The first family's summer vacation plans will include a trip to Maine.

The White House says the Obamas will travel next Friday to Mount Desert Island, which is home to Acadia National Park. There will be no public events for the president during the three-day trip.

The Obamas also spent time in national parks last summer, visiting Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon
nothing to see here...move along....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
remember, remember, the 02nov10:

Democrats block amendment to ensure press access to oil spill
Democrats refused to allow a vote today on an amendment introduced today by Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., to ensure press access to the gulf oil spill. Broun's amendment was a response to numerous reports that government authorities and BP are keeping the press away from areas affected by the spill. The amendment reads as follows:
Except in cases of imminent harm to human life, federal officials shall allow free and open access to the media of oil spill clean up activity occurring on public lands or public shorelines, including the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
The amendment was introduced during committee markup of the CLEAR Act, a cap and trade bill being championed by Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.

“The media has a responsibility to not only accurately report the news but to keep everyone associated with the spill accountable. President Obama promised transparency, but we have seen numerous examples where that is not the case," said Rep. Broun in a statement. "There is no excuse for reporters and photographers to be denied access to public places unless their life is in imminent danger. This amendment is necessary in order to eliminate any confusion and ensure that First Amendment rights truly are protected.”

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my question is this...... why was it introduced as an amendment to a cap and trade bill? couldn't it be introduced as a standalone piece of legislature?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
along that thinking, why not make it an exec order? seems to be a prime candidate

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dunno about an exec order, but congressmen have a history of placing popular/no-brainer to pass legislature as amendments on bills that are doomed - or on a totally unrelated bill in order to bury it - in order to make the opposing party look bad when it gets rejected . my point was that this could very well be another instance of it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ya know, I'm pretty sure I figured out what's going on: this is all a diversionary tactic. The oil spill is a sideshow. they're fighting godzilla down there, hence the media blackout.

:tinfoil:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
premature success?
Oil stopped gushing into the Gulf of Mexico from BP's busted well Thursday for the first time since the disastrous spill began, the oil giant said. It was the most significant milestone yet in BP's effort to control one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.
Now begins a waiting period to see if the cap can hold the oil without blowing a new leak in the well. Engineers will monitor pressure readings incrementally for up to 48 hours before reopening the cap while they decide what to do next. The cap is only planned as a temporary fix until a final plug is set from underground, maybe next month
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill