Quantcast

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
some analysis/commentary/perspective from wsj (quoted in full 'cuz it's subscriber only)
No offence, but WSJ's opinion page is barely worth the ePaper that it's written on.

Although if you want to read the WSJ without being a subscriber, just highlight the title and search Google for it (highlight, right click in Chrome). It'll usually show up as the 1st or 2nd result, and as long as you access it from Google, you can read the whole article! :thumb:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
No offence, but WSJ's opinion page is barely worth the ePaper that it's written on.
none taken; and i couldn't disagree more.
well, i could, but don't see the point in that.
Although if you want to read the WSJ without being a subscriber, just highlight the title and search Google for it (highlight, right click in Chrome). It'll usually show up as the 1st or 2nd result, and as long as you access it from Google, you can read the whole article! :thumb:
that's precisely what i did; wasn't sure if others knew. in this regard, i'm hopelessly fiscally conservative (cheap/niggardly/parsimonious). i even spent a good 20 min looking for a free chelsea handler ebook: my horizontal life: a collection of one-night stands (we celebrated bush's 04 victory by setting fire to our libraries)

still looking...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Now they are proposing plugging it up with golf balls and tires.
Can we plug it with the bodies of any politician who has ever made a speech in support of slant drilling off US shores? We can glue it together with the carcasses of oil-drowned wildlife to make sure we please both sides of the aisle.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Can we plug it with the bodies of any politician who has ever made a speech in support of slant drilling off US shores? We can glue it together with the carcasses of oil-drowned wildlife to make sure we please both sides of the aisle.
we could use all the brown people we killed in the name of freedom....

Man you guys should see how half assed BP is dealing with this.
They are spooking volunteers with legal hoops while this fvucking huge mess keeps rolling.

As it turns out they did such a good job lobbying to water down regs and procedures that they skipped on filing the *required* safety documents with the local parish regarding the tested/functionality of the BOP (blow out preventer).
You know, the last line of saftey in case sh1t happens!!

And they had safety issues with capping the well in the days leading up the explosion.

Some dead dolphins washed onshore in LA and MS and BP said don't jump to any conclusions b/c that happens naturally anyway.:rant:

So, the 1st dome/box didn't work and all they can do is keep spraying very toxic dispersants at the oil and guess what?
Europe banned that stuff for being so harmfull to the environment.

Basically, BP/Trans Ocean/Halliburton really screwed up, didn't have an
"oh sh1t" plan and the regulatory/oversight agencies involved were so cozy with the industry that they were'nt doing their job of looking out for us.
Imagine that?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If there were a crying smiley I'd be using it now.
that's b/c you're a pussy who can't appreciate the dawning of a new american era of achievement by having oil just wash up to us. no more "hunting" for oil or buying from muslims. we just back our SUVs up to the shore & siphon it straight in.

america.
**** yeah.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
we should dig up iron eyes cody's grave & re-shoot this

ed: i think we have our candidate:

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Man you guys should see how half assed BP is dealing with this.
They are spooking volunteers with legal hoops while this fvucking huge mess keeps rolling.

As it turns out they did such a good job lobbying to water down regs and procedures that they skipped on filing the *required* safety documents with the local parish regarding the tested/functionality of the BOP (blow out preventer).
You know, the last line of saftey in case sh1t happens!!

And they had safety issues with capping the well in the days leading up the explosion.

Some dead dolphins washed onshore in LA and MS and BP said don't jump to any conclusions b/c that happens naturally anyway.:rant:

So, the 1st dome/box didn't work and all they can do is keep spraying very toxic dispersants at the oil and guess what?
Europe banned that stuff for being so harmfull to the environment.

Basically, BP/Trans Ocean/Halliburton really screwed up, didn't have an
"oh sh1t" plan and the regulatory/oversight agencies involved were so cozy with the industry that they were'nt doing their job of looking out for us.
Imagine that?
I think they are just trying to finally get back at us for that little incident with the tea...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
7 Strange and Sad Facts About the Gulf Oil Spill

My favorite: . Unlike the oil gusher, any lawsuits against BP would be capped.

The 1990 Oil Pollution Act ensures that a civil suit cannot find BP liable formore than $75 million, excluding the cost of the cleanup. However, on May 5, Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ) introduced a bill to the House of Representatives that would raise the maximum penalty for an oil spill to $10 billion. As of now, the bill remains in committee.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this is still going on? it's already broken the record.

way to rub it in, oil.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
7 Strange and Sad Facts About the Gulf Oil Spill

My favorite: . Unlike the oil gusher, any lawsuits against BP would be capped.

The 1990 Oil Pollution Act ensures that a civil suit cannot find BP liable formore than $75 million, excluding the cost of the cleanup. However, on May 5, Representative Rush Holt (D-NJ) introduced a bill to the House of Representatives that would raise the maximum penalty for an oil spill to $10 billion. As of now, the bill remains in committee.
This one was my favourite

5. The containment dome failed because it floated.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
speaking of measures that failed b/c they float:
1. Engineers contemplated stuffing the leak with golf balls and old tires.

So said Admiral Thad Allen, commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard, on CBS' "FaceThe Nation." Called a "junk shot"

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
wow $75 mil wouldn't even come close :(
It's $75M NOT including cleanup costs. They would still be responsible for the full cost of the cleanup. They're limited to $75M in liability (and punitive?) beyond cleanup. Still low considering the magnitude, but not as bad as you were thinking.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so will they just connect FL to cuba to various archipelegos to south amer by some levy system, and then drain teh gulf via panama?

that may work.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Officials in Florida sought to reassure tourists that the state's beaches are clean and safe as government scientists said a small portion of the slick had entered the so-called loop current, a stream of fast-moving water that circulates around the Gulf before bending around Florida and up the Atlantic coast.

During a news conference, David Halstead, director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, showed off a picture of a Coppertone bottle on a beach.

"What's the only oil on the beaches? Suntan oil," he said.
heckuva job, davey

Hey guys i thought i would check in local and confirm that oil is all up in the marshes now and turtles,pelicans etc are starting to show up saturated and dead.
Todays newspaper confirmed that BP had outsourced the testing of Haliburtins cement linings with Schlumberger to perform the "acoustic"test which is considered the only way in the industry to test a well's seal.
well, 11 hours before the explosion BP sent the Schlumberger test crew home w/o performing the final test.
Thats right, they boarded the crew on helicopter and sent them back to shore.
Schlumberger was testing the cement linings of Haliberton at the time.

Thats pretty much it right and the fact that the oil sllick is headed in to the "loop current" which means thats both sides of Florida and the east coast are goind to start seeing this **** on your soil too.:rant::rant::rant::rant:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Saw a news bit on Fark that told of local in LA throwing flour on the oil to soak it up.

world record for world's largest roux.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I wish it was that easy .
Every event is being canceled from Shrimp festival, Crawfish fest, Tarpin Rodeo, etc..., trust me , the fall out is a big deal.
I'm beyond angry, just sad really.........
I know, I know. Lived in Gretna for 10 years, my kid was born at what used to be Mercy Baptist. Still feel a little like a coon ass, it is sad. Friend of ours had a shrimp stand off Barataria (over in Westego) and they are done now, packing it up. Katrina and now this, they have no fight left.