Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Well, you've got me pegged. If only I had access to that sort stellar out door recreational world here in Colorado. I could be as clearly happy and jovial as you are. :rolleyes:
all manner of fr/dh/cx/dj/xc/urban/road is widely & easily available

wtf is he on about?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
the system for ballooning the tip with a high pressure supply already exists, i'm not just ranting about what ifs... the top kill system they are using (dumping slurry mud into a pressurized hole) does nothing to address gas pressure relief or maintenance, it is the most rudimental method they could use. but it's cheap and you get what you vote for...

still, furthermore, there is NO excuse whatsoever for the lack of containment and seperation that could have been vigorously from the first day.

like i've said before, you guys can live like the brow beaten wife who sweares "that he still loves me", or you can wake up and realize you're being rooked
on a daily basis.

don't be fooled by these con-men who have the coastgaurd, fema, and the white house stuffed neatly in their back pocket.
Well gawddammit Mr. Science, why ain't your smart ass about 75 miles off shore right now straightening those dumbass petroleum engineers out?

Ohhhh, that's right..easier to sit up in Tahoe and bitch.

What exactly would you like the federal government to do? Call in the military? They're a little busy right now. NOAA? Hmmm, naaa, they only have whale saving boats. Send out all those expendible coon ass dumb shrimpers? Did that, they're getting sick. Hmmm, wow, guess we can all fix it sitting here from behind our mighty keyboards..

There is no "I" in team, skipper, but there are 3 "u"s in Shut the **** Up!

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Well gawddammit Mr. Science, why ain't your smart ass about 75 miles off shore right now straightening those dumbass petroleum engineers out?

Ohhhh, that's right..easier to sit up in Tahoe and bitch.

What exactly would you like the federal government to do? Call in the military? They're a little busy right now. NOAA? Hmmm, naaa, they only have whale saving boats. Send out all those expendible coon ass dumb shrimpers? Did that, they're getting sick. Hmmm, wow, guess we can all fix it sitting here from behind our mighty keyboards..

There is no "I" in team, skipper, but there are 3 "u"s in Shut the **** Up!

some of you are a waste of time and oxygen. the disconnect is astounding

x3pilot, there is no "A" in douche nozzle, hot head, but there is 1 in Kiss My @ss!

why people with good ideas aren't 75 miles out:
Inventors send 10,000 ideas to stop oil spill, say BP ignoring them

NEW ORLEANS — A suggestion box or publicity stunt? BP has received thousands of ideas from the public on how to stop a blown oil well in the Gulf of Mexico, but some inventors are complaining that their efforts are getting ignored.

“They’re clearly out of ideas, and there’s a whole world of people willing to do this free of charge,” said Dwayne Spradlin, CEO of InnoCentive Inc., which has created an online network of experts to solve problems.

BP succeeded in partially siphoning away the leak over the weekend, when it hooked up a mile-long tube to the broken pipe, sending some of the oil to a ship on the surface.

Gerald Graham, a marine environmental consultant and oil spill response expert from Victoria, British Columbia, said he suggested a similar idea at the end of April to the joint incident command center run by BP, government agencies and Transocean Ltd., which owned the rig. The command center had him forward the idea to NOAA, which didn’t respond.

“Why didn’t they do this sooner?” Graham said. “Why did they wait so long?”

Spradlin, the InnoCentive CEO, denounced BP’s call for help as a “publicity maneuver.” His Massachusetts-based company challenged its Web-connected network of scientists, engineers, academics and other professionals to come up with possible solutions to stop the spill. Hundreds of ideas have poured in, but the company says BP has not responded
you see... if you're only trying to temporarily stop the flow, you're not going to put a permanent cap on it. You didn't really think they were planning on abandoning this well head for ever did you?

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-05-19/ap-stories/inventors-send-10000-ideas-to-stop-oil-spill-say-bp-ignoring-their-schemes

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
some of you are a waste of time and oxygen. the disconnect is astounding

x3pilot, there is no "A" in douche nozzle, hot head, but there is 1 in Kiss My @ss!

why people with good ideas aren't 75 miles out:

you see... if you're only trying to temporarily stop the flow, you're not going to put a permanent cap on it. You didn't really think they were planning on abandoning this well head for ever did you?

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-05-19/ap-stories/inventors-send-10000-ideas-to-stop-oil-spill-say-bp-ignoring-their-schemes
Again, when you lead off with an insult, you lower yourself to a Linbaugh-Palin offspring mentality around here.

Another cut and paste article about 100,000 crack pot inventors who got ignored by BP. Really, you're outraged by this? You are really shocked that trained, professional engineers AREN'T listening to Billy Mays rejects and all their ideas? Again, another mouth breather that likes to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Now, that being said, I'm sure there are a lot of good ideas out there, but seriously, how many people do you think are calling up BP or the Coast Guard or Billy's Bait Shack in Venice, La with the next sure fired idea that will make them rich?

Outrage? you want outrage? I'll give you this and concur with your point about some of the responses from the government. Why has it taken this long for the Corp of Engineers to respond to the request by LA state engineers to build sand berms and create man made barriers, that would not only help block oil, but would deter storm surge from the next hurricane.

Let's not misplace our shock and Aw, damn Obama and his oil snugglin' cornies bitterness and hatred. Let's focus on what needs to be done, how we can help (most likely by staying out of the way) and how we can clean this mess up.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
when i was shaving this morning, my daughter came up to me and asked, “daddy, when is president obama going to develop a coherent narrative for his administration?” ok, maybe not. She’s only 3, and her typical question is more along the lines of, “can we play hide and seek?”

the president isn’t hiding, but i'm not certain that he is seeking, either. At the end of his buck-stops-here press conference on thursday, he told a story about how he'd been shaving that morning when his 11-year-old daughter asked, "did you plug the hole yet, daddy?"

it's an odd question, since of all the things the most powerful man in the world has control over, plugging the oil leak in the gulf isn't one of them. The federal government simply lacks the relevant equipment to address a volcano of oil one mile below the ocean. I would have thought that the president might have explained that to his daughter at some point. Apparently not.

Sure, no father wants to tell his child that he can't solve the biggest problem around, but the fact is that the oil companies are the only ones who do this kind of risky drilling — and the only ones who have the technology to stop it.

But it's also true that big oil has spent years deluding itself and others into thinking that this kind of spill was impossible and that preparing for one wasn't necessary. Indeed, bp once called a blowout disaster “inconceivable.” certainly, if you can't conceive of a disaster, you'll become more and more lax, more and more reckless, until one happens. You’ll cut corners on backup systems and testing. And you certainly won't pre-build and pre-position any relevant equipment for staunching the flow. Since a disaster can't happen, you and your allies in congress will block all serious safeguards and demagogue all efforts to oversee the industry as “big government interference in the marketplace that will raise the price of gasoline for average americans.”

the administration has made some efforts to push back against big oil. In february 2009, interior secretary ken salazar canceled 77 oil and gas lease sales on western lands that had been approved in the last days of the bush administration as a final gift to big oil. The leases were for land near pristine places like arches national park and dinosaur national monument. As a result, sens. Bob bennett, r-utah, and lisa murkowski, r-alaska, blocked the confirmation of david hayes, obama’s choice to be deputy interior secretary, for two months. Hayes was on the scene on the second day of the gulf disaster and has been a key figure helping to oversee the effort.

I suppose one can construct a scenario where the administration managed to prevent bp from drilling this well in the first place -- a mere two months after taking office and while republicans were scheming to obstruct and block its moves. Short of that, though, it's clear that the blame for the disaster rests with bp, big oil, the bush-cheney administration (which larded the government with big oil stooges), and the industry’s strong-arm supporters in congress (which enacted the voluntary, “trust us,” self-regulation we have today).

The president has failed to explain to the public how unbridled greed and self-regulation allowed the goldman sachses of the world to destroy the financial system, and with it the economy. Instead, people are angry at government for how it tried (and succeeded at) fixing the problem. He has failed in the same way when it comes to big oil.

As president, obama bought into big oil's story that new technology meant that a big blowout disaster was impossible. And so he embraced offshore drilling a few months ago and even now has been slow to stop defending it. Thus, the questions that all americans should be asking their president isn't whether he's plugged the leak yet. It's, "why did you believe big oil and its right-wing allies?"

i guess the president has never told his daughter the story of how conservatives keep weakening all government regulation, how they demagogue any effort to oversee the private sector, and how when the inevitable disasters come, they blame the victim and demand to be put in charge.

But i can see why he wouldn’t tell that story to his daughter. It doesn’t end happily ever after.
http://www.salon.com/news/louisiana_oil_spill/index.html?story=/news/feature/2010/05/28/obama_daughter_wrong_question
But maybe I'm just too disconnected. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I've not been following this thread.....but I think BP has proven now that they really don't have a clue what to do. I think the gov't needs to step in with the military...NASA....the PTA...freaking Al Qaeda if need be to get things under control. BP has had more than enough chances. TIme to git 'er done.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've not been following this thread.....but I think BP has proven now that they really don't have a clue what to do. I think the gov't needs to step in with the military...NASA....the PTA...freaking Al Qaeda if need be to get things under control. BP has had more than enough chances. TIme to git 'er done.
I think the only obvious thing is that government regulation should be scaled back. After all, if they can't fix the problem that private industry made, then they are the problem, amirite?

Drill away, mother****ers!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
they need to consult a ACME catalog.....worked for wile e. coyote.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so why is it they can measure my fuel purchase down to the thousandth of a gallon, but are unable to make order of magnitude estimates on the spill volume?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
so now instead of just an oil spill we'll have nuclear fallout too? awesome.

btw... this can also be achieved WITHOUT nuclear explosives. Just sayin'
There won't be fallout, the nuke is detonated thousands of feet under the sea floor. They did it in Russia several times already, but only on land, not underwater wells. Sure they don't have to use a nuke, but what fun would that be :rockout:

Nukes are the only way. :weee:
:stupid: Any excuse to set off a nuke is a good excuse!

Whatever happened to the second bore that was supposed to shut this bad boy down?

Shouldn't that thing be almost done by now?
They are saying the relief well won't be done until August.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
barry looking to get back on bill maher's good side

"I don't sit around just talking to experts because this is a college seminar, we talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answers, so I know whose ass to kick."

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
A science question

What mechanism is actually making the oil spew out? Is it actually somehow naturally pressurized from the weight of the sea floor over it squeezing it out? or is it merely being forced from its "home" because it's lighter than the sea water, and the pressure of the water is forcing it up? or a combination?