Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Not that anyone cares about me, my BP friend, or my biologist friend, but it bugs me when I see commentary from people who know nothing about the industry, who use gasoline as indiscriminately as they did before the spill, and who are doing nothing to stop the spill.
grab a mop!

/trolling to no avail

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not that anyone cares about me, my BP friend, or my biologist friend, but it bugs me when I see commentary from people who know nothing about the industry, who use gasoline as indiscriminately as they did before the spill, and who are doing nothing to stop the spill.
WTF should I be doing to stop the spill?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

True or false:

BP has displayed competency in having safeguards in place for deepwater drilling accidents.

And by that logic anyone who just 'works for' a bunch of jackasses has no hand whatsoever in the overall jackassery.

Total bullshlt. Even ayn ryaahyand figured that out.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
True or false:

BP has displayed competency in having safeguards in place for deepwater drilling accidents.
not absolutely true, but mostly true, except for one recent, inconvenient, & ongoing event.

100 yrs from now we won't even be talking about this.

and you know it

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
not absolutely true, but mostly true, except for one recent, inconvenient, & ongoing event.

100 yrs from now we won't even be talking about this.

and you know it
How many other, similar deepwater accidents have they successfully remedied?

It takes a full trial run during a castastrophe to magically discover that shlt freezes on a big piece of steel at 4k depth? Good job guys! No really! I can't think of a single way in which that could have been known before hand!

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How many other, similar deepwater accidents have they successfully remedied?
if you mean bp proper, i think this is their only one.

all kidding aside, why has no one even dare whispered the sacred name of trans ocean during this kerfuffle? have they been vetted & found to be above board? i don't know, it just seems every one's getting their dick hard over getting bp in the showers after yard time

Well the news on the ground re claims is not good either.
The expose' in the Times-picayune today outlines how BP has hired ESIS to handle claims.
On the ESIS website, the "Recovery Services Fact sheet" states the goal is to reduce our clients dollar pay outs" which is no surprise. But when BP takes to the media and claims how they are make things right, blah, blah blah and pay claims , make people whole, well.......you get my drift.
I happen to know shrimpers. I did a LOT of insurance adjusting re wind claims after Katrina, Ivan,Ike, Gustav and BP is yanking people around and i am not making it up.
They are paying the really small claims but if have losses over $5k you are getting the run around. A loss of use claim surpasses $5k really quick.
Sure, a big company moves slow, redtape etc buy Steve, please call your guy out on this.
Now, i would say that he is a small cog in a big machine and sure enough, documents have come out that has shown BP to not follow its own guidelines for safety and procedures time and time again.
But, VP of exploration and now claims?
Surely he has had some pull along the way to make things tilt back in favor of ethical practices.
Unless those big fat bonuses made his judgement vulnerable?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well stellar work on that and all, but why is this situation any different than the disaster preparedness that the rest of the world engages in before embarking on a new project? If you tell me you've gotten the impression that BP has shown that they know what they're doing based on all their failed 'attempts' since these were obviously well researched and practiced techniques, you might want to back away from the paint fumes a bit. They're making this up as they go along. That much is obvious.

all kidding aside, why has no one even dare whispered the sacred name of trans ocean during this kerfuffle? have they been vetted & found to be above board? i don't know, it just seems every one's getting their dick hard over getting bp in the showers after yard time
"BP" takes less time to type. Sure throw T.O. (hey that was easy!) in the mix for the boo boo but it's BP on the leak stoppage.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Well stellar work on that and all, but why is this situation any different than the disaster preparedness that the rest of the world engages in before embarking on a new project?
i don't see them as not having a dist prep plan, just not an effective one
especially one that factors in human error, laziness, & negligence, which i will assume all 3 factored into this perfect storm
They're making this up as they go along. That much is obvious.
of course they are.
it wouldn't be called a disaster otherwise

it would merely inspire another barely legal date-rape cocktail theme for mardi-gras

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i don't see them as not having a dist prep plan, just not an effective one
especially one that factors in human error, laziness, & negligence, which i will assume all 3 factored into this perfect storm
of course they are.
it wouldn't be called a disaster otherwise

it would merely inspire another barely legal date-rape cocktail theme for mardi-gras
There are certain endeavors where the cost of failure necessitates knowing what fvck you are doing with no exceptions.

Not knowing how to contain a deepwater leak, and not knowing that there are ramifications lets say 'quite a bit more severe than average' from failure to enforce safeguards falls well into the realm of general not knowing what the fvck you're doing. Projects like this should not go forward under these conditions. No one with a hand in the responsibility for this (and I include the minerals management) deserves a 'break' or any sort of sympathy and understanding.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Go after Trans Ocean?

If I rented a car from Budget and ran someone over, would Budget be to blame?

Do you think Trans Ocean can pay for all this?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Go after Trans Ocean?

If I rented a car from Budget and ran someone over, would Budget be to blame?

Do you think Trans Ocean can pay for all this?
if you rented a pinto & got rear-ended & immolated, i would expect your estate to go after them for failing to provide safe transportation.

if you ran down tony hayward on purpose in an h2, not so much

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
True or false:

And by that logic anyone who just 'works for' a bunch of jackasses has no hand whatsoever in the overall jackassery.

Total bullshlt. Even ayn ryaahyand figured that out.
Hey, dude, it is not like I need a report about BP's **** up. I get a first hand report from Grand Isle every day.

It is easy for the rest of us to jump on the bandwagon. I just wonder what my friend did before the spill and is doing now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey, dude, it is not like I need a report about BP's **** up. I get a first hand report from Grand Isle every day.

It is easy for the rest of us to jump on the bandwagon. I just wonder what my friend did before the spill and is doing now.
Then quit defending them just because they have some employees on staff who don't personally dump buckets of 10w30 down dolphin blowholes.

What your friend is probably doing now is something really noble like what Loonatic posted.

cha cha cha

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Its getting heavy in here, time to lighten up, courtesy of the Onion.
LONDON—As the crisis in the Gulf of Mexico entered its eighth week Wednesday, fears continued to grow that the massive flow of bull**** still gushing from the headquarters of oil giant BP could prove catastrophic if nothing is done to contain it.

The toxic bull****, which began to spew from the mouths of BP executives shortly after the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in April, has completely devastated the Gulf region, delaying cleanup efforts, affecting thousands of jobs, and endangering the lives of all nearby wildlife.

"Everything we can see at the moment suggests that the overall environmental impact of this will be very, very modest," said BP CEO Tony Hayward, letting loose a colossal stream of undiluted bull****. "The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean, and the volume of oil we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total volume of water."
Hayward's comments fueled fears that the spouting of overwhelmingly thick and slimy bull**** may never subside.

According to sources, the sheer quantity of bull**** pouring out of Hayward is unprecedented, and it has thoroughly drenched the coastlines of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, with no end in sight.

Though no one knows exactly how much of the dangerous bull**** is currently gushing from BP headquarters, estimates put the number at somewhere between 25,000 and 70,000 words a day.

"We're looking at a truly staggering load of **** here," said Rebecca Palmer, an environmental scientist at the University of Georgia, who claimed that only BP has the ability to stem the flow of bull**** and plug it at its source. "And this is just the beginning—we're only seeing the surface-level bull****. It could be years before we sift through it all and figure out just how deep this bull**** goes."

Congressional hearings aimed at stopping the bull**** have thus far failed to do so, with officials from BP and its contractors Halliburton and Transocean only adding to the powerful torrents of bull**** by blaming one another for the accident.

Along with the region's wildlife and fragile ecosystem, countless livelihoods have been jeopardized by BP's unchecked flow of corporate ****. Those who depend on fishing or tourism for their income are already feeling the noxious effects of the bull**** firsthand, as out-of-control platitudes begin to reach land and seep ashore.

Dense streams of **** are expected to continue spreading throughout the region and the entire United States.

"This bull****, it's everywhere," said Louisiana fisherman Doug LaRoux, who lost his house to a tide of government bull**** following Hurricane Katrina. "It reeks. Big buckets of disgusting **** are oozing everywhere you look and I don't know if it's ever going to stop. I feel helpless"

Added LaRoux, "I never thought I'd be the victim of so much bull****."

Observers have noted that after the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989, corporate bull**** gushed up like a geyser for two decades and didn't wane until the oil company had bull**** its way through an exhaustive process of court appeals that ultimately reduced payouts to victims by 90 percent.

Despite Hayward's denials that BP is at fault for the environmental disaster and his concern that it will result in "illegitimate" American lawsuits, the embattled CEO has still managed to trickle out a few last drips of bull**** sympathy for Gulf Coast residents.

"I'm as devastated as you are by this," Hayward said after a meeting with cleanup crews on Louisiana's Fourchon Beach. "We will clean every last drop up and we will remediate all of the environmental damage."

"There's no one that wants this thing over with more than I do," he added a week later, just absolutely defying belief with the thickest, most dangerous bull**** yet. "I'd like my life back."

Millions of Americans reported feeling ill and disoriented upon contact with that particularly vile plume of bull****.

Many environmentalists, including Palmer, have called for a boycott of BP until the bull**** stops or is at least under control, but they emphasize that in the long term, Americans will have to change their habits if they wish to avoid future catastrophes.

"We must all work together if we're going to cure our nation of this addiction," Palmer said. "The sad fact is, the United States has been running on bull**** for decades."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
this perfect storm
I hate the use of this phrase to describe the BP spill. A perfect storm is a situation where several factors outside of human control compound to create an unforeseeably bad situation. This was several sequential failures each within human control that were entirely foreseeable, which is why the "failsafes" (lol) were in place to begin with.

If you found yourself driving down a mountain pass, and your brakes went out, and your e-brake went out, and your clutch went out, all at once so you had absolutely no way of stopping or slowing because you hadn't properly maintained your car, would you call that a perfect storm? No, you would call it monumental idiocy and incompetence.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I'm not trying to defend my friend at BP, who is actually becoming quite well known because he is the highest ranking native New Orleanian in the BP organization.

It is like finding out a friend was DUI and just killed someone. Or maybe he was hosting a party and someone drank himself to death.

He is still your friend, but you can't support his actions in anyway. You really wonder what he was thinking and what is going to do.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Not really. I own a lot a plastic things and drive my truck as much as the next guy. But there's a difference between working for an oil company and working for an oil company that holds a record in safety violations, lets projects go ahead with little to no contingency plan for catastrophic accidents and does things like help institute dictatorships in the middle east (I've been doin mah readin on BP lately). I'm not some delusional hippy who thinks we can subsist on hugs and good vibes.

I don't care what a company produces or does. If they do it in an irresponsible way, they shouldn't have people falling over themselves trying to give them money for a turnover.

I know you get that.
Kidwoo, you ready to start "doing some reading" about the rest of mineral/mining industry? I think we've already got a puppet gov't installed over there, and it's subsidized by the good ol' USofA(tm)!

As part of the mineral/mining industry and an environmentalist/humanitarian at heart, I'll be real curious to see how this goes (though I think I have a good idea where it'll end up).:rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37677987/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/bp-nightmare-email/

Negligence? Really?

In an e-mail written six days before the Deepwater Horizon explosion, a BP engineer called the well a “nightmare.” The e-mail was released Monday by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, and it’s one of many company documents describing the risky, cost-cutting decisions that preceded the disaster.

“This has been a nightmare well which has everyone all over the place,” wrote BP engineer Brian Morel to a colleague. Morel wanted the company to use a “liner,” or sheath around the well that would keep gas from surging up the pipes and possibly exploding.

One such surge caused the Deepwater Horizon to temporarily shut down in early April, but BP opted against installing the liner, which would have cost an extra $7 million to $10 million.

“BP appears to have made multiple decisions for economic reasons that increased the danger of a catastrophic well failure,” wrote committee chairs Henry Waxman (D-California) and Bart Stupak (D-Michigan) in a letter to BP CEO Tony Hayward. “In several instances, these decisions appear to violate industry guidelines and were made despite warnings from BP’s own personnel and its contractors. In effect, it appears that BP repeatedly chose risky procedures in order to reduce costs and save time.”

In addition to BP’s decision not to use a liner, the committee’s letter describes four other examples of risky negligence.

Halliburton, the company responsible for cement in the well shaft, recommended using 21 “centralizers” to position the metal tube that ran down the center of the well. An off-center tube would cause cement to harden at different rates, producing gaps and channels that could weaken its structure and increase chances of failure. BP used just six centralizers.

A mid-April review of the well said “it is unlikely to be a successful cement job,” but BP declined to run a “cement bond log,” a day-long evaluation of the cement’s integrity. A crew that arrived expecting to perform the evaluation was sent home.

BP also failed to circulate muds that filled the well as it was drilled. That allowed mud that stayed on the bottom to absorb gas and debris, further weakening cement at the well’s base. BP then decided not to use a “lockdown sleeve,” which would have secured the top of the well, where it emerged from the seafloor.

The full list of documents is located on the House committee’s website. BP’s Hayward testifies before the panel Thursday.

“We ask that you come prepared,” wrote Waxman and Stupak.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
here we go...
Republican Congressional candidate William "Bill" Randall is suggesting that the Obama Administration and BP conspired to intentionally spill oil in the Gulf, resulting in 11 deaths and the worst environmental disaster in the nation's history.

Randall, who has aligned himself with the Tea Party movement, readily admits that he has no evidence that what he says is true.
atta boy

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
That makes sense.
BP definitely wants to give away 20 billion.
BO definitely wants a PR nightmare.

Why WOULDNT they conspire to make this happen?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
BP purchases 32 Costner Machines
The actor's latest role, as saviour of the Gulf of Mexico, goes some way towards combining the two, after his oil-water separation machines, in which he has personally invested $20m (£13.5m), were contracted by BP to help in the Gulf clear-up effort.

The 32 centrifuge machines, which a Costner-funded team of scientists have spent the past 15 years developing, are to be deployed to help tackle the spill, now believed to be gushing 40,000 barrels a day into the Gulf.

The devices, manufactured by Ocean Therapy Solutions, are carried to the spill area by barges before separating the oil and water. The largest of the machines, the V20, can clean water at a rate of 200 gallons a minute, according to the company's website
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/16/kevin-costner-oil-spill-machines

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
How come the pressures for the gusher aren't being talked about?
How does 20,000 to 70,000 PSI sound? Peak oil isn't a concern in this lifetime.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Anyone else concerned about the volatile organic gases that are ascending with the oil?

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How come the pressures for the gusher aren't being talked about?
How does 20,000 to 70,000 PSI sound? Peak oil isn't a concern in this lifetime.
There's so much retard fail in that statement.

My road bike tire is 95 psi. My car tire is 34 psi. Clearly, there is more air in the bike tire...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
<youtubevid></youtubevid>
that's still only 3 & 1 ppm

wake me when my coffee tastes like EVOO

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In his opening statement, Barton, the top Republican on the committee overseeing the oil spill and its aftermath, delivered a personal apology to the oil giant. He said the $20 billion fund that President Obama directed BP to establish to provide relief to the victims of the oil disaster was a "tragedy in the first proportion."

Other Republicans are echoing his call. Sen. John Cornyn said he "shares" Barton's concern. Rep. Michele Bachmann said that BP shouldn't agree to be "fleeced." Rush Limbaugh called it a "bailout." The Republican Study Committee, with its 114 members in the House, called it a "shakedown."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127901015

In the 2007-2008 period of the 110th Congress, Joe Barton has accepted $196,040 from oil companies and $135,549 of those dollars were from industry political action committees. In addition to that, he has accepted $834,386 from oil companies between 2000 and 2007. Also, he has accepted $121,050 from the coal industry, and $119,800 of those dollars were from industry PACS

John Cornyn has received $576,550 in oil contributions during the 110th congress. $140,300 of those dollars were from industry PACS. In total, Cornyn has accepted $1,404,275 from oil companies since from 2000 to 2008, which makes him one of the top recipients of oil money. In addition to oil money, Cornyn has accepted $54,400 in coal contributions during the 110th congress. $47,000 of those dollars were from industry PACS
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=SourceWatch
Republitards. *sigh* :banghead: