Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In his opening statement, Barton, the top Republican on the committee overseeing the oil spill and its aftermath, delivered a personal apology to the oil giant. He said the $20 billion fund that President Obama directed BP to establish to provide relief to the victims of the oil disaster was a "tragedy in the first proportion."

Other Republicans are echoing his call. Sen. John Cornyn said he "shares" Barton's concern. Rep. Michele Bachmann said that BP shouldn't agree to be "fleeced." Rush Limbaugh called it a "bailout." The Republican Study Committee, with its 114 members in the House, called it a "shakedown."
they're only calling it a shakedown or a bailout because its money that's going to go directly to US citizens. If it was for a corporation, they'd be all for it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
they're only calling it a shakedown or a bailout because its money that's going to go directly to US citizens. If it was for a corporation, they'd be all for it.
Well, not really. They've been pissing and moaning about the taxpayer funded, wall street bailouts for a while now (not when Bush started TARP, but when Obama continued it). But I fail to see how you could call this bailout at all... because BP is paying the taxpayers.... it's the exact opposite of a bailout as far as I can tell.

A shakedown? Possibly. But I think we have some misplaced anger. People should be more upset at the company who basically ruined the entire gulf of mexico, than at the president for making them subsidize people they put out of business.

Yeah, republitards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A shakedown? Possibly. But I think we have some misplaced anger. People should be more upset at the company who basically ruined the entire gulf of mexico, than at the president for making them subsidize people they put out of business.
The government is just holding them (financially) responsible for all the people they (BP) have effectively put out of business. BP essentially laid off all those people (fishermen, etc) via their own negligence. In a sense, this would qualify the fishermen and whatnot for unemployment. The gov't is just making sure that BP is footing the bill.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The government is just holding them (financially) responsible for all the people they (BP) have effectively put out of business. BP essentially laid off all those people (fishermen, etc) via their own negligence. In a sense, this would qualify the fishermen and whatnot for unemployment. The gov't is just making sure that BP is footing the bill.
I don't disagree with that at all and am glad it happened, but the point that the president simply has the power to make that happen without any official process seems like a valid issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't disagree with that at all and am glad it happened, but the point that the president simply has the power to make that happen without any official process seems like a valid issue.
I think this is kind of an extenuating circumstance. I'd probably be more concerned if there was legislation in place with a procedure on how to handle an environmental disaster of this proportion caused by corporate negligence. It might come across as if they were expecting it to happen (or maybe this is the exact reason it DOESN'T exist - so they can act like they never expected it to happen).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
they're only calling it a shakedown or a bailout because its money that's going to go directly to US citizens.
my understanding is quite different: this this is a managed fund that entities (not necessarily citizens) may apply for compensation. will it be run differently than other large gov't run funds? hope so.

if this becomes an abused slush fund, like medicare or fema cards, woe unto the incumbency.
same if it drags on w/ typical gov't bureaucratic fashion.

it's looking like a lose/lose setup for both properly affected gulf residence & politicians. i don't think i'm overly cynical in this assessment

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so here's something worth looking into:

using some fluid numbers from http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BP

if some portion of BP is publicly owned (half-ish, i believe), and today their market cap is ~$100B, does that not mean shareholders (some outright, some by managed funds) have been screwed out of whatever losses BP has sustained over the past month? [ed: looks like close to half]

i'm pretty sure this inadvertent/involuntary contribution is well north of $20B, so i feel less warm/fuzzy about sticking it to BP proper

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I recall reading something the other day that BP had lost $67 billion in stock value and that its assets were now worth more than its stock. I.E. it was worth more dead than alive. I'll have to see if I can find that article.

Related LOLZ

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Err no it's ppBillion. So vastly less than that.
YouTube- TOXIC ALERT BP Death Clouds Have Come Onshore Benzene 3400ppb Hyrdrogen Sulfide 1200ppb

billion/million = 1000

3400/1000=3.4
1200/1000=1.2

point was: it seems pretty harmless in these amounts, but maybe it's as harmless as polonium-210

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Remember the outrage over ACORN? Especially since it turns out that they didn't actually do what they were accused of?

Compare and contrast the Republican reaction to BP.

The political ad writes itself...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Remember the outrage over ACORN? Especially since it turns out that they didn't actually do what they were accused of?
huh?
the charges of voter registration fraud stuck quite well, resulting in firings, fines, & plea deals in multiple states. and an over-reaching congress w/ their bill of attainder, too, but that's another story.

or were you referencing o'queefe & giles? if so, that didn't go whole hog, i'm loathe to admit

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
"There’s a problem: BP was a founding member of the U.S. Climate Action Partnership (USCAP), a lobby dedicated to passing a cap-and-trade bill. As the nation’s largest producer of natural gas, BP saw many ways to profit from climate legislation, notably by persuading Congress to provide subsidies to coal-fired power plants that switched to gas."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Once-a-government-pet-BP-now-a-capitalist-tool-95942659.html#ixzz0qyxEzJRE

Of course since manmade global warming is a hoax, they are deflecting this cap and trade bill by underexposing it in the Msm.

also;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/12/us-document-strategy-climate-talks

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How come the pressures for the gusher aren't being talked about?
How does 20,000 to 70,000 PSI sound? Peak oil isn't a concern in this lifetime.
Answer: natural gas is supplying the pressures that are making this one spill at (current estimate) 60k barrels/day.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/19/gulf-oil-spill-anarkdo-petroleum-blames-bp

The consequences of failure are enormous.

"If it went on uncontrolled, it could certainly leak for two years and certainly longer than that," said Philip Johnson, a professor of petroleum engineering at the University of Alabama.

But he said the rate of the leak would fall sharply once the natural gas in the reservoir is exhausted. "That is the driving force," he said. "As soon as that is gone, it won't leak at any serious rate."

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
That was good reading. What he describes certainly makes sense, and really made me realize how out of control this whole situation really is.

Jesus fvcking Christ people are retarded, but I wouldn't expect anything less from that area.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
At what point do you just file Chap 11?
Well, now the cleanup costs have reached $22b. Right now the market cap of BP is $93b (down from $180b) before the spill. So I'd say when the cleanup costs start reaching $120-150b, then it'd make sense for BP to start looking at Chapter 11, or maybe even Chapter 7.

However, I still maintain that if BP was going to try to do that, the US would probably pull an "Iceland" and make the UK pay for this.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well, now the cleanup costs have reached $22b. Right now the market cap of BP is $93b (down from $180b) before the spill. So I'd say when the cleanup costs start reaching $120-150b, then it'd make sense for BP to start looking at Chapter 11, or maybe even Chapter 7.

However, I still maintain that if BP was going to try to do that, the US would probably pull an "Iceland" and make the UK pay for this.
Only 1/3rd of bp shares is British owned though so I doubt that would work.....

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Well things have definitely 'impacted' the environment.

WTF is up with the entire universe these days saying 'impact' when what they mean is 'affect?'
And affecting a british accent when they do it. It totally effects their ability to impact my thinking.