Quantcast

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
1,000 barrels (42,000 gallons) per day leaking into the Gulf of Mexico. Oil spill is 80 miles across, and expected to make landfall by Saturday despite frantic efforts to contain it. Is it me or are the normal media outlets completely silent about this (I don't have a tv so it might be on 24/7 on CNN/Foxnews/etc)?

I'm also wondering what this is going to do to Obama's offshore drilling and comprehensive energy reform package....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703465204575208270683324094.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_news#articleTabs=article

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I heard about the 11 missing (didn't hear that they died) but didn't hear anything about the oil spill that got started.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
BP is also looking into lowering a dome over the leak to suck up the oil, which company officials think could be in place in two weeks.
so in the meantime...damn

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so in the meantime...damn
in the meantime, call all the states in the bible belt. Have them announce to all the fatties that there's a free supply of oil for deep frying available to them in the Gulf. Fatties show up in boats, scoop up oil from ocean, proceed to deep fry all sorts of food stuffs, fatties get fatter, boats sink, fatties die. 2 birds, one stone my friend.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I heard about the 11 missing (didn't hear that they died) but didn't hear anything about the oil spill that got started.
Same here, the last I had heard was that there was no spillage.

And can't take credit for the title, saw someone else write that.

Reading the comments on foxnews.com, and a good portion (half?) think it's a democratic plot. :rofl:

bj777
I THINK THE ROTTEN CORRUPT DEMOCRATS HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THIS OIL RIG EXPLOSION--THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION TO SEE IF THERE WERE ANY MEMBERS OF GREEN PEACE-THE SERRIA CLUB-ETC ON THE RIG AT THE TIME

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM
secondopinion
spill? - try Explosion. questionable timing and unknown source. like calling a truck destroyed by an IED an accident.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 6:02 AM
jhenrymc
Considering the propaganda concerning "global warming" and this administrations agenda, I would not be surprised if this had been planned. Call me paranoid, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
googling "list of oil spills", it seems that events like this *typically* go unchecked for weeks.

fack, you'd think by now they'd have a zodiac at the ready w/ a few bags of kitty litter

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No joke aside, I always supported oil drilling as long as it was "done safely, ecologically, and ethically".

Right now, Horizon makes me look like a three time loser.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
this is:
A) one hell of a fire waiting to happen? (paddle out and roast some s'mores)
2) lots of cute critters becoming that much harder to catch (all slicked up!)
III) a great opportunity to play the stocks -->
quatro) a merman's wet dream (punpunpun), i.e. their version of a KY/Oil/Mud wrestling match.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
1,000 barrels (42,000 gallons) per day leaking into the Gulf of Mexico. Oil spill is 80 miles across, and expected to make landfall by Saturday despite frantic efforts to contain it. Is it me or are the normal media outlets completely silent about this (I don't have a tv so it might be on 24/7 on CNN/Foxnews/etc)?

I'm also wondering what this is going to do to Obama's offshore drilling and comprehensive energy reform package....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703465204575208270683324094.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_news#articleTabs=article
There's only 42 gallons in a barrel?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The missing workers are probably dead. The rig sank last week, which is part of the problem, as while it was burning the oil was not leaking. The expolsion was likely result of a blow back on a new oil field

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fire it up!

Coast Guard to set fire to oil leaking in the Gulf

NEW ORLEANS – The Coast Guard planned to set fire to oil leaking from the site of an exploded drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday, a last-ditch effort to get rid of it before it reaches environmentally sensitive marshlands on the Lousiana coast.

Fire-resistant containment booms will be used to corral some of the thickest oil on the surface, which will then be ignited, said Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Prentice Danner.

It was unclear how large an area would be set aflame, what would used to do it and how far from shore the first fire would burn. The slick was about 20 miles east of the the mouth of the Mississippi River.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The missing workers are probably dead. The rig sank last week, which is part of the problem, as while it was burning the oil was not leaking. The expolsion was likely result of a blow back on a new oil field
Nooooo! I think they swam the 25 miles back to shore....

I did talk with a friend who works in Grand Isle, which is near Port Fouchon.

She said that it sounds like the oil rig, which was not fixed to the sea bed, about 5000 feet down, sank straight to the bottom, and submersibles are trying to cap the spill.

Sounds real bad.

Word is the coast guard is considering burning the oil to contain the slick. :eek:
The "experts" are all on the radio and apparently the crude is not as lite or as sweet as they were 1st saying meaning that the last ditch burn attempt will be a long shot. The heavier stuff is more like tar and has to reach a really high temp to burn off the residue.

For you non gulf coast people this event bedsides being bad in general is VERY bad for our seafood industry.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The "experts" are all on the radio and apparently the crude is not as lite or as sweet as they were 1st saying meaning that the last ditch burn attempt will be a long shot. The heavier stuff is more like tar and has to reach a really high temp to burn off the residue.

For you non gulf coast people this event bedsides being bad in general is VERY bad for our seafood industry.
But those tans for fat people from alabama will begin to show a little quicker with some of nature's tint.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004

Pffft, don't care, my gasoline is $0.03/gallon cheaper so it all works out in the end.

Also, "seafood"? The closest thing people out here come to "seafood" is the Friday Night Fishfry, which is usually cod. We don't partake in any of your fancy-pants "shrimp" or any of that other commie fascist stuff like arugula.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, I was wrong. The fishing season is fvcked:

2010-120

SPECIAL SHRIMP SEASON OPENS IN PORTIONS OF BRETON AND CHANDELEUR SOUNDS

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Secretary Robert Barham, announced that a special shrimp season will open at 6:00 p.m., April 28, 2010 in that portion of Breton and Chandeleur Sounds known as the double-rig line as described in LA R.S.56:495.1. These waters will remain open to shrimp harvesting until further notice.
Season opens several weeks early. Get your shrimp while you can...