Quantcast

Spin skins

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Just an FYI for the 700 x 26-32 spin skins tire liners. Don't try to put them in brand new tires. :) What a pain. I felt like I was a kid trying to build a dam of sand and the waves kept washing it away!

Now we will see if they work.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I don't even know what they are - they sound rotational and slightly heavy so i don't want them. :monkey:
Yea, I dont want them either but Thorns on the CX race course cause you to be concerned about em.

They actually are only like 36 grams

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by WillRidesRigid
Alot of people on mtbr complained about them wearing holes in tubes and being rather fragile.
Yea, I guess we will find out. Only one review on there from 2003. The rest are 2 years old.

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
ore on the Spinskinz FYI
The first version came out quite a few years ago, were hard to install and would self destruct after a short period, mine went 6 months, taking the tubes and tires with them. I sent them back and they actually sent me new improved versions-no charge. I had these "race" versions for over two years before they too came apart-two years no flats of any kind and I ride all over the southwest. Expensive, should be replaced once in a while but worth it. I am now trying the "commuter" version which is only slightly heavier, a lot cheaper, supposed to last longer, and in my opinion, ride better due to softer material. The only drawback now is that the liners are a little narrow for the 2.2 tires I run, thorns have gotten around the liner but so far none have gotten through. As for longevity, I have about a year and three sets of tires on them and they are still doing the job. The company has great customer service so if you have any problems, questions or complaints...go to the source but I have been more than satisfied. :cool:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
they work i've used them. of course they don't protect on snake bites but they are very effective. A good tip for new ones is to take the roll and roll it backwards to take some of the memory out and flatten the curl somewhat then insert spinskins and tire flat on the ground, easy as pie.........

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Same idea but Tuffy's are thick, urethane liners that are much heavier than Spinskins. Tuffy's work fine for riders looking for protection at a reasonable price and not concerned about performance (do affect the ride and feel of the tire). Spinskins are very light and go almost un-noticed but cost more. And the race version is just that, for racing only.