Quantcast

Spinner vs Bike trainer.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I ride a lot of cross country and I live in an apartment. So I don't have a ton of space. What I am thinking about it picking up a spin bike so I have something to work on during the winter months but a lot of people recommend trainers. What are the pros and cons of both? What do you guys suggest for spins for around 500?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, a spin bike becomes a clothes rack for the 350 days you don't you use it.

I own a CyclOps Fluid, which is under $300, and it folds up to about the size of a small cooler. It doesn't make a lot of noise either.

If you are going to ride 2-3 times a week during the winter, it would be worth it to have a spare tire/wheel to minimize the wear.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'd go with a trainer especially since you're limited on space. Other advantages include:

- cockpit set exactly the way you normally ride (duh, it's your bike)
- portability (you can do it in any room)
- great way to use up all those partially worn trail tires you can't bear to throw away

If you really want to get spiffy, get this.

http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com/buy-bicycle-generator-assembled-pm-motor-pedal-power.htm#Roller
:stupid:

My LBS hooked my up with a pretty damn nice spinner after my accident. It was great at the time since I was able to just get on it and spin away while I worked on regaining my balance/muscle mass/etc, but honestly, even as sh*tty as winter can be around here, I haven't ridden it in over a year. My prior medical issues aside, I think the trainer/roller is the way to go, and depending on how much you want to spend, potentially more entertaining, or as entertaining as riding a bike inside can be, plus its more "realistic" when compared to the spinner.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Why not ride someone elses spin bike and go take some classes at a gym vs. just sitting on a trainer/spinner like a mook not making any real gains?

Timetrial40k

Chimp
Jan 31, 2013
Personally, after the countless hours tweaking and adjusting my bike and posture into the perfect aerodynamic position, and after developing all my muscle to be at their most efficient at my particular body position, i have a feeling that id do myself harm training on anything but the bike I use for race.