Quantcast

Spirit of Enduro

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
X-post from the Lounge. I hope its not a repost but I think it brilliant. I want to be the spirit of Enduro too.

Last edited:
it's amazing to watch top EWS racers in an enduro race. it feels the same when i watch top 10 WC DH mens smash a dh track.

i think most enduro haters don't hate the racers or the endeavor, i think they hate the perceived over commercialization. also a great many enduro haters are also 27.5/650B/29r haters and vice-versa.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
did anyone see the movie clip of Hitler scolding his generals, subtitled, taking pun on enduro.

It was funny, after all his (Hitler) training on a race course, (pointing on the map), due to changes it was not included in the race!, He said he will go XC.

i'll look for the link,

edit found it!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
endurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :panic:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I hate enduro because its what I've been calling "mountain biking" since I started in the early 90s. Leave it to wankers to reinvent something and think its new.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
didn't watch the video, but let me guess, he talks about how it's "getting back to it's roots" and "really captures the essence of mountain biking" :rolleyes:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
french were before you, they created it year 1987.

for 'muricans

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-dear-america-2014.html
Eh? the term "Enduro" came from motocross in the UK about a century ago

As for the French invention of riding uphill to race back down, every pikey kid I knew back in the 70s here in Scotland did that, we sometimes called it "scrambling" again, after the motorised version we were in awe of.. We even used 27" wheels and superwide moto cross bars..

None of this was new, even then.

I hate everything to do with bicycle Enduro and probably always will until the marketing wankers do the decent thing and rename it BEnduro same as the BMX pioneers had the decency to

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Read it. It's not that.

Enduro was invented in the bottom of a wine bottle at the end of a cigarette somewhere in the Rhone Valley after some dudes in berets and mustaches watched Klunkerz.
you read the video? is that supposed to be ironic? careful there, irony leads to hipsterism, and hipsterism leads to enduro.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Did people argue about the origins and bitch about marketing when manufacturers started making Downhill specific products? Serious question.
No because racing downhill is as natural as breathing. It's an innate part of the human existence that needs no explanation, no justification, and cultural approval is as natural as that of bacon and beer.

Going downhill faster than someone else just IS.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't really get what the hulabaluga is, so maybe somebody could explain it to me. Who the fyck gives a **** what they call it, the Enduro race format is a pretty cool format that pretty well sums up all of the parts of mountain biking I give a sh1t about. I don't give a fvck that the name is stolen from dirtbikes, and the fact that they needed to come up with a name for the new format other then "mountain bike racing" seems pretty obvious, since there is way too much gray area there.

Enduro is awesome.

And so is Downhill.

Dirtjumpers are too.

Hell even road bikes are.

Bikes are fun. If people want to be competitive on them and do baddass **** to win, like doing a hop double tuck over under under the tape to win, then so be it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't really get what the hulabaluga is, so maybe somebody could explain it to me. Who the fyck gives a **** what they call it,
Let me help you get your focus.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/362294/

If you can watch that whole thing without throwing up in your mouth, you're a bigger man than I.

Just a heads up though, that doesn't take much.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I don't really get what the hulabaluga .
I just find it irritating, that one can not simply ride a bike now, it must be classified and pigeon holed.

DH made sense, because you don't need to race to do downhill.
XC made sense, because it meant you did a lot of miles including a lot of ups and downs but generally nothing too gnarls
AM made sense, because it kinda fit in the middle of those, where you "work for your downs".

Then Enduro came along and just confused everyone, and everyone having their own little take on it. What is a race format, now became a NEW WAY OF RIDING.

I'm on the volunteer committee of my local Bike Park (if you can call anything a "Park" in the South East of England), and at an event... I sh!t you not...someone asked us if we could build "An Enduro track"

When we asked, what this Enduro track should be like, the answer was
"Well, kinda like a Downhill track, but longer"

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just find it irritating, that one can not simply ride a bike now, it must be classified and pigeon holed.

DH made sense, because you don't need to race to do downhill.
XC made sense, because it meant you did a lot of miles including a lot of ups and downs but generally nothing too gnarls
AM made sense, because it kinda fit in the middle of those, where you "work for your downs".

Then Enduro came along and just confused everyone, and everyone having their own little take on it.
I'm on the volunteer committee of my local Bike Park (if you can call anything a "Park" in the South East of England), and at an event... I sh!t you not...someone asked us if we could build "And Enduro track"

When we asked, what this Enduro track should be like, the answer was "Well, kinda like a Downhill track, but longer"
tl;dr, the problem is marketing bukakke

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm on the volunteer committee of my local Bike Park (if you can call anything a "Park" in the South East of England), and at an event... I sh!t you not...someone asked us if we could build "An Enduro track"

When we asked, what this Enduro track should be like, the answer was
"Well, kinda like a Downhill track, but longer"
so the guy (maybe a gal), wants a longer DH track. where's the problem? if you don't have the terrain, tell them to go to France. You know, the birthplace of Enduro?!

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
It's funny with resistance of a new word.

For me, it is just a version of burlier bike, heaviest category of AM. Who rides downhill bike upside? Even Troy Brosnan enduroed two WC events.

Maybe amateur downhillers are afraid to get their skills exposed on simpler tracks when you could hide your embarrassing incompetency solo running down a DH track with a plow bike.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Let me help you get your focus.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/362294/

If you can watch that whole thing without throwing up in your mouth, you're a bigger man than I.

Just a heads up though, that doesn't take much.

Enduro racing as a format is awesome and just like DH, you really need good terrain to have a good race... but that's never stopped people from having a crappy DH race either.

Any other reference to enduro is silly. If you're not racing, it's not "enduro" riding, but I can say that I get why people use it:

When I go on a ride with people I haven't met before, I want to make sure I get to do this:

and not accidentally end up dong this:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Eh? the term "Enduro" came from motocross in the UK about a century ago

As for the French invention of riding uphill to race back down, every pikey kid I knew back in the 70s here in Scotland did that, we sometimes called it "scrambling" again, after the motorised version we were in awe of.. We even used 27" wheels and superwide moto cross bars..

None of this was new, even then.

I hate everything to do with bicycle Enduro and probably always will until the marketing wankers do the decent thing and rename it BEnduro same as the BMX pioneers had the decency to
yep it is nothing new,

Le mans 24h since 1923

Ancient Greece, where athletes were competing each other in enduro running. That was before Jeebus birth.

or Netherlanders chasing down animals in enduro chase, then it must be 400 000 years ago.

and keep on..

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
but it's not a new word. only a new marketing category.
yep it helps me to pick enduro rims, enduro tires, oddly in 26". I'm thankful for easier search on internet. I dont need heavy EX823 and 1,2kg tires for climbing.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
When Nicolas Vouilloz announced retirement at the 2002 World Championships, he stated in the live podium interview that he was going to turn his attention to "Marathon Downhill".......i was a bit perplexed at the time what he meant...the term "Enduro" helped clear that up....:think:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Enduro racing as a format is awesome and just like DH, you really need good terrain to have a good race... but that's never stopped people from having a crappy DH race either.

Any other reference to enduro is silly. If you're not racing, it's not "enduro" riding, but I can say that I get why people use it:

When I go on a ride with people I haven't met before, I want to make sure I get to do this:

and not accidentally end up dong this:
The problem is that the latter is called XC racing. It really is dirt road biking.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Two things

1: No kidding. Everyone knows that.

2: No one is making fun of the race format (at least not the good ones held in real mountains). What's ripe for the pickin' is the large number of industry dollars, especially in merka, being thrown at defining some new lifestyle, bikestyle, mindset that has already existed forever. Seriously man, look at that choad in that video acting like 'enduro' is some grand new concept. He's a race promoter who wants people to come to his races. He's a race promoter who throws money at DJs for his events and forgets to rent porta potties so people have a place to take a dump throughout a two day 20 hour event. It's the 'scene' he wants more than anything.

And that shlt is hilarious. :D

Last edited: