Quantcast

Spiritual Progressives

Changleen said:
You are retarded.
You smell like baby poop.

My point is that people read and write books about how to be happy, become spiritual, how to think, etc. What's the point if that person has a completely different life than you? I'm know the Dalai Lama and others have great introspective thoughts about things, but I have never found anything in a book to provoke enough thought to change the way I see things.

Andyman_1970 said:
This is where I argue true Christianty, true spiritual Christianity has nothing to do with religion but has to do with being connected to the creator of the Universe is some mysterious mystical way..................hold on let me relight my incense...........LOL (j/k).
Right, to presume that there is no higher power is just egotistical. If you just consider time and space on a universal level, you can't simply conclude that we are even close to the top of creation/ intelligence

...I gotta turn on my black light.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
pterodactyl said:
My point is that people read and write books about how to be happy, become spiritual, how to think, etc. What's the point if that person has a completely different life than you? I'm know the Dalai Lama and others have great introspective thoughts about things, but I have never found anything in a book to provoke enough thought to change the way I see things.
See, if you write what you actually mean rather than some generalising crap you don't sound half as pig-ignorant.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
pterodactyl said:
Do you actually have any friends?
This is the internet, doofus. People you meet on here are either weird or stupid. You clearly fall quite strongly into the second catagory. Most of the rest of us are just weird.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
pterodactyl said:
That confirms it...you are the douche bag of the site.
Bro, you have 24 posts on this site. You don't know anyone here, the atmosphere, the in jokes, people's politics or anything. Why don't you hold it down a bit until your feet can touch the bottom?

The posts you've made have been largly badly thought out and highly generalised. Hence they have huge logical holes in them and make you look pretty dumb. If you keep doing that you're going to get ripped appart, or maybe you really are that dumb. Please, prove me wrong.

Three times at least you've demonstrated gross ignorance of some of the most obvious traits of people on here.
On top of this your profile seems to display a high degree of childishness. 'Occupation: pissing other people off'? Great. How old are you? 12? Why don't you think about what you post for 5 seconds before you press those buttons and maybe we'll all have a more interesting experience?

Changleen said:
Bro, you have 24 posts on this site. You don't know anyone here, the atmosphere, the in jokes, people's politics or anything. Why don't you hold it down a bit until your feet can touch the bottom?

The posts you've made have been largly badly thought out and highly generalised. Hence they have huge logical holes in them and make you look pretty dumb. If you keep doing that you're going to get ripped appart, or maybe you really are that dumb. Please, prove me wrong.

Three times at least you've demonstrated gross ignorance of some of the most obvious traits of people on here.
On top of this your profile seems to display a high degree of childishness. 'Occupation: pissing other people off'? Great. How old are you? 12? Why don't you think about what you post for 5 seconds before you press those buttons and maybe we'll all have a more interesting experience?
That's a lot better than calling me retarded...

I joined this to sell some DH wheels. In any event I figured you would read my profile which was blank until yesterday. I don't take anything seriously, never have in 33 years. Think about it, my favorite thing to do is ride my bike in the woods...
All it has done is rain here the last several days and been in the 40's and the season is winding down, so I can't go ride, lifts are closed during the week and the XC trails don't drain well here. I already know what I need to as far as bikes are concerned so I thought I would go fishing in these threads for something interesting.
With 2 kids under the age of 4, a 60 hr/ week job and friends and family, I don't have time to spend on these sites. I can't believe at the age of 28 you have wasted so much of your time on here. Go do something fun. If this is the most fun thing you can think of, I feel sorry for you.

It cracks me up that the political threads are so serious on a mountain bike website.

Either way, it has stopped raining.

E

enkidu

pterodactyl said:
“What's the point of reading books and articles by persons who have completely different lives than you?” you ask.
I find it comforting to read, for example, Rabi Michael Lerner at Tikkun (http://www.tikkun.org) or writers from Jewish Voice for Peace or Churches for Middle East Peace to know that not all Jews and Christians are Neo-con / Likkudnick / Fundies / novel-inspired left-behinders, who are fixated on escalating war fronts. Reading about the their thoughts and aspirations is vital in deciding what we can and should do to protect our own future. . . the future of our country and many other lives throughout the world.

Someone mentioned in another thread that gods are in the awesome mountain tops and that's where mountain bikers should head on Sundays. That's exactly the same sentiment Shintoists have when they construct simple mini-shrines and Torii on top of scenic mountains or by lakes. If you happen to be in that part of the world, probably shrine-hopping through pilgrims' paths will get you to the most rewarding scenic spots. So, see, it's even profitable for mountain bikers to learn a little about Shinto shrines.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
pterodactyl said:
If nothing else it helps Foster a greater understanding of people in the world around you. It can challenge your assumptions of the world around you, and help you see a wider spectrum of possibilities.

Here in Phoenix (Mesa actually) we had a guy drive by a gas station and shoot the owner a few years ago. The owner was a Sikh and had a turban on. He thought he was killing a Muslim in retaliation for 9/11. If he had read a little he'd have realized the guy was a Sikh. If he read a little more, he would have realized most Muslims, especially in the US didn't condone the attacks. In fact quite a number of Muslims left their home countries because of the radical Islam sweeping over them.

Reactor said:
If nothing else it helps Foster a greater understanding of people in the world around you. It can challenge your assumptions of the world around you, and help you see a wider spectrum of possibilities.

It's raining again.

Right, and I am open minded enough to consider everyones point of view on everything, instead of blast people for what I think is wrong, except for the fact that country music is garbage...it makes me want to kill myself.

I just have not found any reason to change my belief that most people are good and want to be happy. I already know what makes me happy. I don't think you need a book to determine the majority of another faith/ race don't mean you any harm. Minorities include the klan, radical muslims, nazis etc.

I suppose it is a matter of passion. I don't understand other peoples passion for certain things (sports teams, deep hatred, religion), mainly because I do not have much. The only things I care about are my loved ones and biking...things I am directly involved in.

I can't fathom, and no book will change my understanding, why killing someone is justified, be it religion or race. I understand war for the reason of freeing oppression, or protection. War for the purpose of religion is not a religion that really exists, it is a manipulation of some beliefs...that might not make sense, but in general to explain my thoughts takes too long and I get made fun of.

...another tanget as a result of my random thoughts...what the Hell do I know I'm just a DH racer/ trail rider that is a father/ husband/ engineer. You might think that I would think in a logical manner, can't seem to...I must be too smart.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
pterodactyl said:
It's raining again.

Right, and I am open minded enough to consider everyones point of view on everything, instead of blast people for what I think is wrong, except for the fact that country music is garbage...it makes me want to kill myself.

I just have not found any reason to change my belief that most people are good and want to be happy. I already know what makes me happy. I don't think you need a book to determine the majority of another faith/ race don't mean you any harm. Minorities include the klan, radical muslims, nazis etc.

I suppose it is a matter of passion. I don't understand other peoples passion for certain things (sports teams, deep hatred, religion), mainly because I do not have much. The only things I care about are my loved ones and biking...things I am directly involved in.

I can't fathom, and no book will change my understanding, why killing someone is justified, be it religion or race. I understand war for the reason of freeing oppression, or protection. War for the purpose of religion is not a religion that really exists, it is a manipulation of some beliefs...that might not make sense, but in general to explain my thoughts takes too long and I get made fun of.

...another tanget as a result of my random thoughts...what the Hell do I know I'm just a DH racer/ trail rider that is a father/ husband/ engineer. You might think that I would think in a logical manner, can't seem to...I must be too smart.
Given the above (totally agree about country 'music' BTW), how can you possibly support Bush?

Changleen said:
Given the above (totally agree about country 'music' BTW), how can you possibly support Bush?
I was just thinking why I always post general comments, I guess I view specifics the same way I view physics/ engineering formulas; no need to memorize since it is documented, wastes space in the brain. What is more important is the general method to the solution even if it is thru many paths, the general feeling about a situation and what questions arise thru the thought process.

I don't think I said I did support Bush. I don't like any politicians. Bush and Gore in the first election was like picking between who will **** things up the least.
Bush was a dope and Gore inspired no confidence. I don't like stupid people and I don't like censorship. (The fact that Gore is married to Tipper who was so involved in the censorship issues with metal bands in the 80's bugged me. I listened to those bands then and the assumption that music makes people kill themselves or others was ridiculous.)

For the second term, I went with Bush because 9/11 was still fresh in my mind. I live in NY. I remember how I felt that day knowing the train my brother takes to work goes thru the station under the towers. I remember how I felt not knowing where my father was (he travels by plane a thru those airports). I know people that while running out of that building could hear people jumping from the windows and landing all around you.
I still felt a lot of rage/ sadness over that day. Carey did not convince me that we would continue the war on terror. There's something about a person that is ALWAYS protesting something that irks me. I don't have problem with people that disagree, just people that ALWAYS disagree. Kind of like they can't ever be happy or try to solve the issue.

Anyway Bush is ****ing this whole deal up now. We need to get out of Iraq and focus on losing manufacturing.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
pterodactyl said:
except for the fact that country music is garbage...it makes me want to kill myself.
As far as I know, it has that effect on almost everyone

pterodactyl said:
I just have not found any reason to change my belief that most people are good and want to be happy.
That's good. It's the one percent or so that can't get along with anyone that cause problems. Unfortunately they are the most vocal.

pterodactyl said:
The only things I care about are my loved ones and biking...things I am directly involved in.
I think most of us are like that to some extent. Someone on RM has a sig that about breakfast and commitment that's pretty funny.

pterodactyl said:
What strikes me as odd, is how the some the religions who are so vocal about being "a religion of peace" seem to be responsible for so much war. I suspect it comes from a halo effect. Where people associated with a religion, but not having deeply held beliefs, use religion as a tool to gain power.

pterodactyl said:
You might think that I would think in a logical manner, can't seem to...I must be too smart.
Consult the DSM-IV ( :blah: only kidding)

E

enkidu

pterodactyl said:
Bush and Gore in the first election was like picking between who will **** things up the least.
Bush was a dope and Gore inspired no confidence.
Gore suffered from his association with "depends on what is is" Clinton, too.

pterodactyl said:
For the second term, I went with Bush because 9/11 was still fresh in my mind. . . . I still felt a lot of rage/ sadness over that day.
Our fear / rage / sadness were and are still used as political tools to make us mindlessly accept preemptive illegal war, ill-conceived Patriot acts and inhumane Guantanamo gulag. I wouldn't be surprised if the 9/11 attackers were "allowed to proceed" with their evil plan for the "Pearl Harbor effect" by our own government.

pterodactyl said:
Carey did not convince me that we would continue the war on terror.
Didn't Kerry actually say that he's going to send MORE troops to Iraq? Is it possible that Democratic "leadership" is just as deeply entangled with Neocon / Likkudnik war-mongering machines?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Changleen said:
The WoT is a fundamentally bad idea.

Since weapons cause terror, wouldn't the first step of any War On Terror be getting rid of all weapons?

John Travolta and Tom Cruise would be a close second.:D

P.S. Since Wars cause Terror, isn't Wot an oxymoron?

E

enkidu

Reactor said:
Since weapons cause terror, wouldn't the first step of any War On Terror be getting rid of all weapons?
. . . at least getting rid of all weapons of aggression and focus on defense.

The shrill hysterical statements made by heads of North Korea, Iran & Palestinian extremists are the product of terrorized minds under the real threat of "the onslaughts of preemptive shock-and-awe annihilation attacks" pursued relentlessly by the Neocons / Likkudnicks / Religious Rights / novel-inspired left-behinders.

The first step to cease Terror is to reign in our own urge to dominate at all cost.