Quantcast

Spitfire, Scout, Troy, etc

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
BB height is no different with the 26" or 27.5" dropouts. If you look at their geo charts the BB height is about half an inch higher across the board with 650b wheels/ dropouts. This is why my rune still has 26" wheels.
Well that's dumb.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just held up the 26" dropouts next to the 27.5" ones currently mounted on the bike. It looks like the 26" ones lower the axle ~5mm.

With 27.5 wheels (Butchers on WTB i25s) in 27.5 dropouts in neutral setting and an axle to crown of 539mm (36 @ 150mm) I get a bb height of 13 3/8".

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Having ridden my Spitfire with 26" and 27.5 wheels, with each corresponding drop out option, I honestly don't notice much of a change. If anything, I've had more pedal strikes with the 27.5 stuff. Including one strike on a wide sandy trail that took me to the ground. Still not sure what my pedal got caught on... :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That's friggin awesome area. Is it a go and find your own cool lines kinda place? Or is all that part of a trail? Or is it off the beaten path, local knowledge required kinda place?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
How you like that 11-6?
Since he really doesn't ride bikes anymore I will offer that it's every bit as good as advertised and it really is 2 shocks in one package. It also increases the already excessive levels of Freedom of the Megatrail given its 'Murican origins, plus since its also from CO, you get a free CD with all of John Denver's greatest hits (word is @mtg is trying to get Red Fang to cover these same songs for an updated CD).

On the downside, the adjustment knobs are ano-blue, which clashes badly with his red and gray colorway, so -10 enduro points. :disgust:

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hands down the best shock I've ever ridden. Most surprising on the trail bike is the improvement in climbing (interesting climbing, not fire-roady) and descending is everything you'd expect/hope for.

(hype machine, off)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Tempted on 11-6 for my Spitty.
I agree with all the above about the 11-6. I picked up one of the "test" shocks that was on sale earlier. It really is a phenomenal piece of equipment. I felt like it offers a significant step up over the CCDBa that it replaced--not that the CC was in any way a bad shock. The 11-6 uses its travel so very efficiently and offers so much traction and control at the top end that it has taken a really fun bike and made it even more so. I got mine tuned with a full on DH mode which is just ridiculous and still pedals well enough that I ride trail with it sometimes. The second tune is a "trail" tune which climbs quite well and is more digressive which helps with long boring climbs. I totally agree with Nick that the climbing traction is really noticeable and helps offset the weight penalty. The only downside is I think the bike doesn't pop off a lip quite as much as when it had an air shock--I just go a little faster to compensate. On the upside, I give no fycks when I flatland big stuff anymore. I'll be interested to see if the revised piston they released for 2017 affects this and may retrofit when it goes in for service.

I had (and loved) my Spitty V2 for 3 years and think it could certainly benefit from a bad ass coil just like the MT. Does Push have a tune for the Spitty yet?

Anyhow, Mr. @jackalope and I shall have to do a side by side comparo of coil'd MTs since he just got his. It goes without saying that mine will be better since it is very expensive and doesn't clash with my fork stanctions. :busted:

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Needs a coil fork.
Does anyone even make a coil non-dh fork any more?
I said in another thread that with the advancements in materials and manufacturing ALL the other components (csu, lowers, springs, etc) Fox or RS could get a coil fork down to 4.5lbs or so. Not saying that they'd sell, but ....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have an 11-6 on a Knolly Delirium. It excels at maintaining traction, although I don't know if it's worth the extra $500 retail over a TTX unless you want the dual valving feature. I'd be fine with a single set and forget option. Also for as much as it costs a black version would be nice.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The thing I really like about the 11-6 minus the performance is that you can send it in and have it reconfigured for different bikes. So if you really kept it for a while it would be worth having a nice dependable shock for a few frames.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The thing I really like about the 11-6 minus the performance is that you can send it in and have it reconfigured for different bikes. So if you really kept it for a while it would be worth having a nice dependable shock for a few frames.
You have to make sure it will fit the frame though and that reservoir is pretty large. I was considering an Uzzi which the 11-6 doesn't fit.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
This is how I justified the cost to myself... #bikemath