Quantcast

Splenda/Sugar blend....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Eck, I would not recommend stevia at all. That stuff is gag me gross.
The problem is there are multiple versions of the sweetener and it depends on how its processed (natural or extracts[steviosides or rebaudiosides]) just like there are various types sugar that taste different - refined white/cane/confection/brown/etc - but to an even greater extent with the extract versions of the sweetener.

wikipedia said:
Recently Blue California a US ingredient firm claims to have developed an economical industrial production process for the 'natural sweetener' stevia, which promises lower prices for manufacturers. The ingredient firm said it has completed the isolation of Rebaudioside A, a sweet compound derived from stevia, using a "more economical and proprietary process". The company expects to go into industrial scale production in 2008. The isolation process for Rebaudioside A results in a product that delivers the desired sweetness without the bitter aftertaste.
The type you/H8R had is the one that probably takes more like liquorice. I've had it in celestial seasonings peach ice tea and it tastes fine. I don't really care about no/low calorie sweeteners, so I've never looked/tried them and stevia is hard to find anyways.

I would still go with sugar but I can't drink coffee anymore period.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You do realize that one heaping teaspoon of sugar only has 25 calories right? That really doesn't seem like the best place to cut calories especially when you factor in the enjoyment level of a good cup of coffee. Get rid of sodas instead, if you haven't already.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I actually dont drink any soda at all, except very occassionally with whiskey or rum in it. In fact I dont each much sweets either, other than the girl scout cookies which Ive about finished now. I would say coffee, which I drink alot of, accounts for easily 50-75% of all the sugar I eat, especially when I think about the bags of the stuff Ive gone through alone.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I drink my whiskey straight from the jar.

Burly, if you drink tons of coffee, splenda is probably a good way to go. I only drink a cup or two per day so I don't care too much. I'm with the majority on stevia. That stuff is just wrong.