Quantcast

Splenda/Sugar blend....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...bought some of this to help cut back on my sugar intake, mostly w/ coffee in the mornings. Cup of coffee tastes just about the same, only a tiny hint of aftertaste that I think I can live with. Too bad it's stupid expensive... but Id probably recommend the stuff.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
:plthumbsdown:

You are not allowed to have a taste preference that is different than others'.
Inevitably, and Im probably as much to blame for this as anyone, if you mention anything you happen to like on RM, someone will lambast your for it. I expect syadisti here any moment to recommend some organic BS that cost 8x as much.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I pretty much always add that much sugar...which is why I decided to go with the blend.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like my coffee like I like my women:

Hot and in a Styrofoam cup.

I don't put crap in my coffee, but I quit drinking regular soda and now alternate between Diet Pepsi Max and Coke Zero depending on the day. I think they are both made with Splenda, but I'm not 100% sure. I know Diet Pepsi Max has twice the caffeine.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Just be a man and drink it black.
Yes, yes....be a man. A big ole steaming cup of bitter, black flavored water. While you're at it, cut yourself deeply with a rusty knife and pack it full of chicken poop....cause that's manly too. Hey...since you're on a manly roll, clip your nails with a chainsaw, or wear pregnant wolverines for moccasins, or climb the Matterhorn using just your penis.......all of it manly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to drink mine straight up but I started drinking the coffee at work which is so bad it needs sweetening. Now I sweeten all my java.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
A real man puts whatever the fvck he wants in his coffee and tells everyone to eat a bowl of cocks if they don't like it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nothing about Stevia?

If you're going to pay a lot of money, might as well get the best sweetner.
Yeah that stuff is popular in Japan and was repressed by the companies that make artificial sweeteners for years but its back on the market now. Coca Cola and Cargill are going to call it Rebiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

In 1991, at the request of an anonymous complaint, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeled stevia as an "unsafe food additive" and restricted its import. The FDA's stated reason was "toxicological information on stevia is inadequate to demonstrate its safety."[34] This ruling was controversial, as stevia proponents pointed out that this designation violated the FDA's own guidelines under which any natural substance used prior to 1958 with no reported adverse effects should be generally recognized as safe (GRAS).

Stevia occurs naturally, requiring no patent to produce it. As a consequence, since the import ban in 1991, marketers and consumers of stevia have shared a belief that the FDA acted in response to industry pressure.[12] Arizona congressman Jon Kyl, for example, called the FDA action against stevia "a restraint of trade to benefit the artificial sweetener industry."[35] Citing privacy issues, the FDA has not revealed the source of the original complaint in its responses to requests filed under the Freedom of Information Act.[12]

The FDA requires proof of safety before recognizing a food additive as safe. A similar burden of proof is required for the FDA to ban a substance or label it unsafe. Nevertheless, stevia remained banned until after the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act forced the FDA in 1995 to revise its stance to permit stevia to be used as a dietary supplement, although not as a food additive — a position that stevia proponents regard as contradictory because it simultaneously labels stevia as safe and unsafe, depending on how it is sold.[36]

Although unresolved questions remain concerning whether metabolic processes can produce a mutagen from stevia in animals, let alone in humans, the early studies nevertheless prompted the European Commission to ban stevia's use in food in the European Union pending further research.[13] Singapore and Hong Kong have banned it also.[14] However, more recent data compiled in the safety evaluation released by the World Health Organization in 2006[31] suggest that these policies may be obsolete.
I've only had it in instant ice tea, so I have no idea how it tastes as a sweetener alone. Sounds like it has to be processed right to get a taste closer to sugar:

As a sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or liquorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.
I like real sugar and real butter. I prefer cane vs. refined white sugar.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Yes, yes....be a man. A big ole steaming cup of bitter, black flavored water. While you're at it, cut yourself deeply with a rusty knife and pack it full of chicken poop....cause that's manly too. Hey...since you're on a manly roll, clip your nails with a chainsaw, or wear pregnant wolverines for moccasins, or climb the Matterhorn using just your penis.......all of it manly.
I just blew heavily-sweetened coffee through my nose.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah that stuff is popular in Japan and was repressed by the companies that make artificial sweeteners for years but its back on the market now.
Really? I've never seen or heard of it. Only ever seen or used sugar here. Certainly not listed as an ingredient in Coke.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Really? I've never seen or heard of it. Only ever seen or used sugar here. Certainly not listed as an ingredient in Coke.
Coke doesn't use in any of their products right now. They are supposed to start marketing it as Rebiana again in the future.

Most people have never heard of stevia in the US but that doesn't mean its not used here either.

Nexus Article from 2003 said:
In Japan, companies like Sunkist and Nestlé use stevia as a sweetener. Coca-Cola uses stevia in Japan for its Diet Coke, as the herb is non-caloric. A combined Australian university/government report states that "Japan is by far the most advanced country in the use and understanding of Stevia in its application in the food and pharmaceutical industries". At present, the stevia industry in Japan is endeavouring to obtain Codex Alimentarius approval of steviosides. Interestingly, there have been no unfavourable health reports regarding stevia in Japan in the past 30 years.
The largest user remains Japan which began cultivating Stevia plants in hothouses in 1954. When the Japanese government banned certain artificial sweeteners due to health concerns in the late sixties, the use of Stevia as a natural alternative increased dramatically. Stevia's usage has also increased due to the health concerns of Japanese consumers toward sucrose, related to dental caries, obesity and diabetes. By 1987, a total of 1700 metric tonnes of Stevia leaves were harvested to yield an estimated 190 tonnes of Stevioside extract. By 1988, extracts of stevia had captured 41%, by value, of the Japanese high-potency sweetener market. Most of this material was processed through eleven major stevia manufacturers who have collectively formed the Stevia Association of Japan.

Japanese food processors use Stevia in a wide variety of applications. The major usage is surprisingly with salty foods where Stevioside has been shown to suppress the pungency of sodium choride. The combination is common the the Japanese diet in such foods as pickled vegetables, dried seafoods, soy sauce and miso products. It is also used in beverages, including (until recently) the Japanese version of Diet Coke. Stevia has also been used in candies and gums, baked goods and cereals, yogurt and ice cream, ciders and teas, and toothpastes and mouthwashes. Of course, a significant portion of Japanese Stevia is consumed as a tabletop sweetener.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I would rather spend the money on better coffee than to spend the money on better sweetener. I Like my coffee black, sometimes though I will add cream if it starts to upset my stomach.....I drink ALOT of coffee.

With that said, Splenda is a wonderfull sweetner, Alteran is the walmart version, and is the same stuff but cheaper. It is also made in bulk versions. Your packet style is usually about tice as sweet as sugar, where the bulk packs will measure cup for cup like sugar..... Usually for baking purposes. I havent used real sugar in the house in two years now, and when I bake My Pumpkin pies for thanksgiving..... Noone can ever tell i didnt use real sugar. Noone can tel with anything I bake for that matter when I use splenda/alteran instead of sugar.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
...bought some of this to help cut back on my sugar intake, mostly w/ coffee in the mornings. Cup of coffee tastes just about the same, only a tiny hint of aftertaste that I think I can live with. Too bad it's stupid expensive... but Id probably recommend the stuff.
I tried Splenda and it gave me headaches and heart palpitations. I read up on it and there've been a lot of symptoms attributed to it. Check out Stevia (sweetroot) if you want to cut down on sugar. It's not psychoactive like Splenda. It's ridiculously sweet, so you only need a tiny bit of it. You can get it in liquid or tabs.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Eck, I would not recommend stevia at all. That stuff is gag me gross. I hate splenda too though, I used to use it religiously. I drink my coffee black though, I don't like sugar that early in the morning.