Quantcast

spokane slalom phase 1

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Charlie Ben and I went up to spokane today to get some riding and diggin in on phase one of the DS course. took some photos from the day. course is ripping and I can't wait to finish it up.

some dual lane action, Me and Charlie

some other pics of lower on the course. riders; Ben Charlie Barry Chris and some one else.

It was a great day riding and the course is rippin. nice to see everybody out there, and barry keep killing it you have that course dialed. thanks again to Nick who lent me his flat blade shovel.

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
damn those pics turned out great Mike. Dont worry ill keep on keep'n on. Hopefully next time you make it out ill have some more dug. Definately less blood next time

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
damn those pics turned out great Mike. Dont worry ill keep on keep'n on. Hopefully next time you make it out ill have some more dug. Definately less blood next time
Ya man you looked pretty beat up. get that tazer built back up. hey and PM me you Phone number the call didn't come through.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
looks dope guys!! I was so bummed I couldn't make it this weekend. damned midterms. I'll be up later this week though, I want to finish taht track and get some riding time in on it. It is looking really good from the pics!

Kyle,

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
speaking of the course... i dont know if the people im trying to talk to are on here but it needs to be said. or maybe i just need to rant but...

i am not one to tell people not to dig or help with building the course, but some people are apparently planning on building the rest of the course themselves and have tried to start. i am not trying to be rude, but i do not like the way they have laid out where they want the course to go at all. mike and kyle planned and built this course to how it is now, and obviously (at least in my opinion) they did a really good job. both these people know how to build, what works and what doesnt, and already had plans and ideas on how the rest of the course would go as when we could build it. the new berms people tried to build at the top are wrong for many reasons. they are too tall, they will probably never set, they are not angled to fit with the course correctly, you get what i mean. i get that the people trying to build the rest of the course are locals where as we are an hour away so they are the ones who ride it more often, but we were the ones who built it in the first place, and as far as i know, no one else had any plans on building a dual slalom there before it. we were the ones with the idea, we were the ones who made it happen, let us finish it like we are planning on doing and make a really fun dual slalom course.

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
thats not problem ive been waiting for everybody to come back to figure out the rest of the track. Thats why ive only been cleaning it out. Ill spread the word on the building.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I have a heat transfer midterm tommorrow, and as soon as that is done I will be at beacon in this next week to work on the course (most likely all day thursday if anyone wants to help)

Kyle,

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'm pullin' your leg, Mike. But there's something better . . . it's coming . . . Tim and I have the venue and the plan . . . and we're going to make it happen this summer, one way or the other.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Lame . . . .

I know you fell in love with it up at Whistler Kyle, but . . . .

I admit, 4-cross is lame because of what it's degraded into; that's why Tim and I have something new up our sleeve.

Envision true heads-up racing, a cross between motocross and rough-scrambles, 5-up on a not-very groomed course, 1 to 1½ maybe 2 minutes long. Races in Heats, semis and mains like scrambles and flattrack.

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
i say you make it like the game road rash where you can punch people and there are whips and clubs too, make things a little more interesting

sounds sweet though, i want to see how that turns out

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
i say you make it like the game road rash where you can punch people and there are whips and clubs too, make things a little more interesting

sounds sweet though, i want to see how that turns out
we could put in water hazards with live alligators too! nothing makes you want to clear a gap more then the thought of being eaten. :pirate2:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Haha! You guys are funny! Bicycle people always form dire visions of head-to-head racing in traffic. Obviously you never raced motocross, scrambles, flat track or indoor short track? :)

Really, it's not that bad. If an old fart like me is not spooked by it, why should you fearless younger guys be?

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
Just giving you a hard time Doug, I just don't like doing races that are decided by the first corner. gate starts just aren't my idea of fun.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Just giving you a hard time Doug, I just don't like doing races that are decided by the first corner. gate starts just aren't my idea of fun.
I know you are :p . . .

Hey, I'm totally with you on the first corner thing (although I have to admit it was a big decider in indoor short track - - image five 125s or 250s jamming for the first corner inside the little horse arena at Gold Creek Stables in Woodinville :eek:). That's what I hate about what four-cross or mountain-cross have become. I guess that's one reason why I envision our races as more in the 1-1½+ minute length. Give a chance to have some lead-swapping going on.

Oh, and the start will either be real old skool flagman or semi-old-skool MX surgical tubing ;) - - no gates.

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
I'm all for DS although a dual slalom course wasn't really in our plans for Beacon..... but if its 'already there' then its probably ok. If people want to build their own trails then it should be somewhere other than Beacon. I like the dirt better at Indian Trail, not so much sand :)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I think Kyle & co. did bring it to the attention of the FTTRC (even if it was somewhat after the fact); and, although it's not a sanctioned 'trail,' it is basically in the same location as the existing old DS course (right?) so should not be hurting anything.

Something to keep in mind: both of the Beacon downhill courses are there because of similar ad hoc activity; now because of it we have a couple of the most coveted and loved gravity trails in the Pacific Northwest.

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
Yeh, as long as people let the FTTRC know, its cool. I might come by on Thursday, if I'm not working on my trail :)

Something to keep in mind: both of the Beacon downhill courses are there because of similar ad hoc activity; now because of it we have a couple of the most coveted and loved gravity trails in the Pacific Northwest.
I think that applies to almost all of the trails at Beacon :D