Quantcast

Spoke length question for Demo 8

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I need to build a wheelset for a friend and I am having trouble with spoke length calculations for the rear wheel. I know the rear wheel is supposed to be offset 6mm but how do I take this into consideration with the spoke calculators? I usually use SpokeCalc. Can I use this program to take the wheel offset into consideration?

Also, does anyone by any chance know the hub dimensions for the Special Ed hub that comes on a 2005 Demo 8?

Thanks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've been through this many times with my Demo 8 - the rear wheel is zero-dish. I got confused with the whole "6mm offset" thing, but that was built that way to accomodate the zero dish wheel.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Look up the flange spacing on that hub, add 6mm to all the measurements taken from the left cap (brake side), or subtract 6mm from all the measurements taken from the right cap (drive side). Load those measuements into the spoke calculator manually.

edit: actually now I think it's 6mm. And I managed to confuse myself... so I'm not sure anymore. It's an 83mm BB shell, right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got the wheels that come on a demo 8 on my dirtjump bike. Generic (stout...ooh) 36 spoke on 721 rims right?

I took the rear and dished it normally and none of the spokes were doing anything wierd like sticking through the nipples too far.

Maybe you can ignore the 6mm offset until the dish part of your program?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hey when I get home I'll measure one of my spare spokes and post it, but it might take til tomorrow. Spokes on both sides are the same length from what I remember. Good luck!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
S.K.C. said:
I've been through this many times with my Demo 8 - the rear wheel is zero-dish. I got confused with the whole "6mm offset" thing, but that was built that way to accomodate the zero dish wheel.

Okay. The rear wheel is zero dish and the rim is offset 6mm to the non-drive side. But how do I factor this into a spoke calculator to determine the spoke lengths?