Quantcast

Spokes...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
With up to half a kilo of rotational weight, spokes play a hefty part in our wheel build. We use whichever rim we want, but pay no attention to spoke choice. Or even nipples.

I'm guessing the norm is DT Swiss Competition DB spokes, but what do you guys think of using XC spokes such as DT Swiss Revolution DB?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Revolutions tend to flex and require quite a lot of tensioning. I found the DT triple butted spokes to work very well. They alloy nipples save a lot of weight on the outer of the rim. The only thing with alloy is they will oxidize with time and the threads tend to be fragile. A lot of people run 32 hole rims over 36 hole to save weight, it tends to work ok for the most part as well.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hougham said:
I found the DT triple butted spokes to work very well.
I'll throw in my own question in this thread regarding spokes:

I've always used DT Competition spokes (2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted) for my DH wheels, but I'm about to build up some wheels for an all-mountain bike. Should I stick with the Competition spokes, or should I go for the DT SuperComp spokes (2.0/1.7/1.8 triple butted)? I'm a big guy (200 lbs) and I ride really rocky trails. Am I gonna have issues with flex and durability if I use the SuperComp spokes?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'll throw in my own question in this thread regarding spokes:

I've always used DT Competition spokes (2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted) for my DH wheels, but I'm about to build up some wheels for an all-mountain bike. Should I stick with the Competition spokes, or should I go for the DT SuperComp spokes (2.0/1.7/1.8 triple butted)? I'm a big guy (200 lbs) and I ride really rocky trails. Am I gonna have issues with flex and durability if I use the SuperComp spokes?
Probably no. The biggest issue with thinner spokes is wind-up during the build process.

Many people have build DH wheels with Revolutions without issues. The reason I don't use them for DH is cost. My XC bike is built with revolutions.

If you take your time, you should be fine. I would advise using a tension meter though. The Park model is pretty good for the price.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I'm having goodluck with straight 1.8's on alu nips on my DH wheelset. I busted one but it was when a big ass rock got kicked up by my cranks and it not only busted my spoke, but my chain as well, so i don't blame it on the smaller size spoke. I'm only 165-170 with gear tho and i've never blown a wheel up or anything. 1.8's are cheap at cambriabike.com in certain common sizes fyi

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have run revo's and super comps on all my bikes for 5 years or so now and have never had any spoke failures. they do tend to wind up when beinmg built but if you do it right and get a **** ton of tension on each spoke they last forever. i have also run the sapim bladed spokes up front of my 4x and dh bike. the dh wheel is still going strong but the 4x met its demise when i tried to turn a gap and roller into a triple

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hmmm... so then for some all-mountain wheels, should I use SuperComps or Revolutions? Revolutions will be slightly lighter, but will they be significantly weaker/flexier than SuperComps?

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
Revolutions tend to flex and require quite a lot of tensioning. I found the DT triple butted spokes to work very well. They alloy nipples save a lot of weight on the outer of the rim. The only thing with alloy is they will oxidize with time and the threads tend to be fragile. A lot of people run 32 hole rims over 36 hole to save weight, it tends to work ok for the most part as well.
Yeah this is some great advice to follow.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I certainly have always run 32 over 36 and never had a problem. If mavic sold 28hole EX823 rims I'd be giving them a go on my new wheelset. In the past I've used CX-ray spokes and had no problems at all, other than the high cost. I normally use DT comps but may be tempted by revs after what I've read on this thread...

Have also used alloy nips with no problems, but I'm not sure they'd be a good idea with revs because of the high tensions needed?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Is there a significant weight difference between brass and alloy nipples?

The brass ones won't strip threads or round off and they come in black....

The reason behind all this is I am building some EX721s onto Hope ProII hubs and want to keep the weigh low, but not lose to much in the strength dept.

I'm liking the idea of revos too now.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not "significant" no, not at all. About 20g/wheel.

I'm just in the process of building my new wheels, and have just ordered EX823 rims and pro 2 hubs. Not decided on spokes & nipples yet.

FWIW alloy nips also can come in black - in fact they can come in any colour pretty much. Whereas brass tends to be silver or black only.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I've got my new rims and hubs now (DH wheelset, ex823 rims, hope pro2 hubs), what spokes should I go for. My head says comps, but my heart says give revs a try...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah I've used CX rays before years ago (2002?). I could get them at trade prices at the time but will have to pay full whack these days :(

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I built up my 823/pro II wheelset with DB comps and it rocks. Really high tension. Came up a foot short on a 38' double a week after I built them up and they are still perfectly true. No need for straight gauge, but I like having something a tad more stout than CX's or whatever so you don't have to worry about anything.