Quantcast

sponsor hunting at interbike?

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
i have just upgraded to pro.,and now need to begin the tast of finding someone to fund this endeavor. i know that interbike is a good place to schmooze with industry affiliates, but is it kosher to aproach them about sponsorship. they are there after all to market their product to retailers. any opinions?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
If you are gonna look for sponsors at Interbike, the best course of action would be to show up with a resume, and target specific sponsors. For each specific sponsor you target, have a package ready including your race resume and a detailed letter explaining why you think you would be a good spokesperson for their particular product. However, be prepared for the answer "Our race team director isn't here, please contact him/her at xxx-xxx-xxxx".

They don't give out sponsorships based on "schmoozing" ;)

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
You're right, Echo. Though Interbike is the logical choice to get the most in the way of names, it's best to keep the schmoozing to a minimum, if at all. My experience in securing sponsorships has been to get the company's contact in charge of sponsorships, phone #, and for goodness sake, the proper spelling of this person's name. I'd save the packets and mail them later. This may cost some money, yet it better than the possibility of it being lost or worse, thrown away. These companies are busy trying to get their new product in the hands of the shops, so yes, they could be a bit tunnel visioned at that time. If the contact is there, then great, you can put a face to a voice when you make that follow-up call. No matter what, be presentable, which means no ripped jeans/t's/sandals. Collared shirts, pressed pants (even if they are jeans), and good shoes will leave a lasting impression for future contact.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Bicycle manufacturers and componet vendors go to Interbike to sell things, not allot promotional and marketing dollars. The show can be a good place to get your foot in the door, and make the appropriate contacts, but it is unlikely that you are going to get anyones attention for very long if you are looking for sponsorship. The most useful channel for sponsorship is still via a good resume in the mail...

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Interbike is for the most part industry only. So to get in you must be part of a shop, distributer ,ect. I don't think it is open to the general public. Try Sponserhouse they worked pretty good for a couple of my guys!!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
teamkranzelbike said:
Interbike is for the most part industry only. So to get in you must be part of a shop, distributer ,ect. I don't think it is open to the general public. Try Sponserhouse they worked pretty good for a couple of my guys!!

What kind of deals did they get?

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
Most Sponsors are putting together their 2005 race budget for next season. Now is the time to secure sponsorship for next year's race season. Check out SponsorHouse and that information is available. Let me know if you have any more questions.

rich@sponsorhouse.com

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
do NOT do this at interbike. You will not get any sponsors, you will become "that guy". It is 100% likely the resumes will get tossed in the trash with the empty beer cups.