Quantcast

sponsors-mtb-wtf?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I guess I'm oldschool, but I have always thought that if you get a sponsorship you should not totally suck at whatever it is you are doing. Apparently that is no longer the case?

I wish I invented sponsorhouse though. I'm sure at least one guy got rich.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Chris - Glad to see you still have some fire in ya.

Sponsorship is a two way street and I am kind of bummed right now about my situation.
I typically run my Public Enemy t-shirt. No love from Public Enemy yet.... I'll show Chuck D whats up by badmouthing him at the next race. I think I should drop them as a sponsor and ride for Eric B and Rakim... or maybe even EPMD next year.

ahh.... who am I kidding... I will never get sponsored.....

Michael
e.thirteen
funny $hit

have you tried Depends for sponsorship yet? I was thinking of pitching a sponorship deal to them since I don't think that they have been hit up yet by DH riders. Oh, nevermind Butch is probably already sponsored by them. :busted:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
OK here's the deal with sponsorhouse. Groms and beginners get parts directly from companies for roughly wholesale. When a company sells a product at wholesale prices, they make money regardless of who is buying the product, which they can then put toward money riders.

So, on the whole, sponsorhouse has created a win/win/win situation for bike companies, groms, and factory pros, while injecting interest into the sport.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I'm with kidwoo...

I have a good amount of sponsors, and they help, ALOT! Especially when I didnt have a job (wasnt old enough) and put all my money into my bike, it saved me alot. Now that I work at a shop though, I'm going to let all my sponsorships expire and only keep a clothing one.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I think sponsorhouse helps kick people into the sport.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll try this again. Smaller and more PC for teh mods

All you whiny BeyoTCHES are WOMEN!!!!! You sound like a bunch of little sorority girls pissed off because someone else's mommy has more money to buy them nicer shoes than you!!! Who gives a flying **** what someone else is riding or wearing??!!!!! It's none of your business how companies choose to spend their money or product. Get back on your celebrity gossip sites!!!!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Nice Kidwoo- subtle

My problem is not with what anyone is getting, because in fact regardless of what they think, most are really getting squat. Rosenamedpoop pretty much nailed the sponsorhouse thing, although he thinks its a good thing and I think its a bad thing. Without a doubt this is partly because I work and ride for a downhill specialty bike shop and sponsorhouse takes sales away from us. Also, because I am easily annoyed and tired of seeing 10 billion morewood jerseys on sport riders, and then seeing them all yap on this site about how great their overpriced single pivot is.

To Rich

I dont have a problem with sponsorhouse conceptually. I dont think the ability to make a glossy resume has anything to do with being a good rider or ambassador for a company. I had a sponosrhouse account for one year. My problem is, like I said, the "select all" approach many companies seem to apply to sponsorhouse. When a 13 year old who has never done a race, and my roomate Dave Camp, a young pro who is already winning races (including beating Ross at keystone slalom), get the same 35 percent offer retail bs offer, there is a problem. I dont have a problem with what you do, just the way the companies are using sponsorhouse as a wholesale outlet.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Ha!

were you around for team getout? we were sick.
getout? luckily yes, but only a short time. I did have give up my spot so I could I start another team....

Re: Chris Kring's comment about Bizutch - never anger a grizzly bear....

On a bright note, I just bought a brand new 2007 Mark III frame to replace my 2005 Mark III frame. I have brand new Stroker brakes that are working pretty mint to boot! I am psyched! So it brings me to this point, get off the internet and go ride your bike!

Michael
e.thirteen

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
As Rich Houseman said there are a lot of different views on this topic.

The way i see it is it's about moving product, and Sponsorhouse is a very smooth way for companies to do it, and a very smooth way for riders to receive it.
Do some companies abuse the system? for sure, i was a sponsored pro rider with Utopia this year and got a sponsorship proposal at the same time for a % of retail...but thats life people are always going to work an angle.

Is it correct for a company to offer the same deal to all riders? i don't know what i think about that? but as a "sponsored rider" you should only be concerned about your deal, if your happy with it who cares if someone else has the same deal? if your not discontinue your relationship with the company.

The comment about David Camp and beginner rider getting the same offer is a good one but think about it a different way, David is an awesome rider no doubt, maybe by using the Sponsorhouse system he could start a relationship with a company...get some results and then go back to said company in year 2 and show them what he accomplished for the company.

Sponsorship is a relationship....you have to work at it, its not about getting all the free product and financial support up front.

As a rider and representative for a company...you'll get what your worth to the company. if you can show the ability to move the sales meter you'll get rewarded.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Chris - Glad to see you still have some fire in ya.

Sponsorship is a two way street and I am kind of bummed right now about my situation.
I typically run my Public Enemy t-shirt. No love from Public Enemy yet.... I'll show Chuck D whats up by badmouthing him at the next race. I think I should drop them as a sponsor and ride for Eric B and Rakim... or maybe even EPMD next year.

ahh.... who am I kidding... I will never get sponsored.....

Michael
e.thirteen
hahaha. Try Boom Bap Project.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I'll try this again. Smaller and more PC for teh mods

All you whiny BeyoTCHES are WOMEN!!!!! You sound like a bunch of little sorority girls pissed off because someone else's mommy has more money to buy them nicer shoes than you!!! Who gives a flying **** what someone else is riding or wearing??!!!!! It's none of your business how companies choose to spend their money or product. Get back on your celebrity gossip sites!!!!
dude I obvi check pinkisthenewblog.com and perezhilton.com lyke 4 timez a day!!!

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
is this the thread to request contract renewals and bring up dirty laundry?

MICHAEL, WHERE IS MY 08 CONTRACT!?? I want to be signed through 2012, lets get this done. OR else you will hear from my legal assistant and I'll be back on team GETOUT.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
mtnbrider - Hmm... your ninja skills are of high quality, thanks for the heads up on Boom Bap Project... I will check them out.
I am still sticking to rap circa 1984 to 1992 though.... for those who are youngins and want to check out ridiculously fantastical hypnotical rap tunes and enjoy a lesson on where rap has come from, check out Black Sheep's album, A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing.

Seth- we fired you 2 years ago... but accounting never stopped sending you checks... sooo.... we fixed the glitch...... we prefer to avoid confrontation.... you got replaced by Karaoke Steve -

Chris - Are you getting your goat skills back on a bike? I hope so.

my 1/2 minute lunch break is over...... my mofo sandmich wit mayo was mofo GOOD!

Michael
e.thirteen

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
mtnbrider - Hmm... your ninja skills are of high quality, thanks for the heads up on Boom Bap Project... I will check them out.
I am still sticking to rap circa 1984 to 1992 though.... for those who are youngins and want to check out ridiculously fantastical hypnotical rap tunes and enjoy a lesson on where rap has come from, check out Black Sheep's album, A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing.

Seth- we fired you 2 years ago... but accounting never stopped sending you checks... sooo.... we fixed the glitch...... we prefer to avoid confrontation....

my 1/2 minute lunch break is over...... my mofo sandmich wit mayo was mofo GOOD!

Michael
e.thirteen
black sheep classic gold era hip hop right there

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Dave needs to start drinking classier beer before he can portray a good image for a company.... :disgust1:

My problem is, like I said, the "select all" approach many companies seem to apply to sponsorhouse. When a 13 year old who has never done a race, and my roomate Dave Camp, a young pro who is already winning races (including beating Ross at keystone slalom), get the same 35 percent offer retail bs offer, there is a problem. I dont have a problem with what you do, just the way the companies are using sponsorhouse as a wholesale outlet.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

Seth- we fired you 2 years ago... but accounting never stopped sending you checks... sooo.... we fixed the glitch...... we prefer to avoid confrontation.... you got replaced by Karaoke Steve -

Michael
e.thirteen
haha the goat is back, it rode with full force this weekend. hey does DW have any plans to make a bio-mechanical shoulder replacement for Minnaar? if so, i need one, mine's shot.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Haha, this thread is funny. I think I'm gonna drop all my current sponsors and try and tap into a new market.

My new prospective sponsors:
Trojan Condoms
Astroglide
Doc Johnson
Hustler

Haha! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Bro-

Just looked at your Sponsorhouse page. Stop sandbagging Sport and move up to Expert already. Your sponsors - regardless of who they are - would appreciate it.

--JP

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Haha, this thread is funny. I think I'm gonna drop all my current sponsors and try and tap into a new market.

My new prospective sponsors:
Trojan Condoms
Astroglide
Doc Johnson
Hustler

Haha! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
You may also want to spell Sea Otter Classic correct on your results page.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If you guys didn't notice on his sponsorhouse page he already is. Good eye guys.
X2!

Rich is relatively new to MTB riding. He's a surfer (incase the screenname didn't clue you in.) I believe he's been riding for only a few years, maybe 4 or 5 now. And as you can see from his results, he has begun racing expert class recently.

It's a thinline to walk for the privateer racer. Do I race in a more competitive class and hope that potential sponsors will notice me or do I race in a class I can win in so my resume is obviously looking good? I know RIch has done a great job of securing some sponsorships and returning on his end of the deal. Sponsorships he might not have gotten had disappeared in the expert class. I think Rich is working his way up the ranks slowly and steadily. I know he was racing beg a few years ago and obviously sport a lot of this year and now expert as of late. Go easy on the guy, he's a solid dude, no need to pass judgement. I'm not condoning sandbagging, but I think there are always at least two sides to any story and if you look at this case from a informed perspective you might see exactly where he's coming from :)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Sorry, you guys are correct. I looked at it again and he is now racing expert.

That said, I stand by what I said "That's a lot of first places in the sport class. Congrats, now race expert next year."

General rule of thumb is 3 wins and move up. Looks like he stayed in sport to win the series. That is understandable.

Again, Sorry

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Best in class.

LMFAO!

I guess everyone's got their own standards for moving up, but speaking from personal experience, I started feeling like a d-bag staying in Sport when it was obvious I could place top-5 at will. Although I've rarely done that well in Expert, knowing that I'm really challenging myself against worthy competition is still more rewarding than kicking ass like Kramer in karate class.

--JP

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's times like these tha I appreciate the canadian style, points per race, and when you reached a set limit, auto upgrade....no sandbaggers aloud, manup time!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
sponsorhouse is fake, but hell i have it, ill be a pozer to get 50% off parts. and by the way my friend took a picture of him giong off an x factor ramp, made an acount. 12 sponsors later-he is a happy man

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Nice Kidwoo- subtle

My problem is not with what anyone is getting, because in fact regardless of what they think, most are really getting squat. Rosenamedpoop pretty much nailed the sponsorhouse thing, although he thinks its a good thing and I think its a bad thing. Without a doubt this is partly because I work and ride for a downhill specialty bike shop and sponsorhouse takes sales away from us. Also, because I am easily annoyed and tired of seeing 10 billion morewood jerseys on sport riders, and then seeing them all yap on this site about how great their overpriced single pivot is.

To Rich

I dont have a problem with sponsorhouse conceptually. I dont think the ability to make a glossy resume has anything to do with being a good rider or ambassador for a company. I had a sponosrhouse account for one year. My problem is, like I said, the "select all" approach many companies seem to apply to sponsorhouse. When a 13 year old who has never done a race, and my roomate Dave Camp, a young pro who is already winning races (including beating Ross at keystone slalom), get the same 35 percent offer retail bs offer, there is a problem. I dont have a problem with what you do, just the way the companies are using sponsorhouse as a wholesale outlet.
Has your friend tried getting sponsors directly through the company not using a 3rd party site like sponsorhouse...They usually respond much better when you contact them directly with race resume. At least that is what I have encountered in my experience. IMO is shows the company more that you actually care, plus a race resume includes a lot more(better) information about you and your motives.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

Michael
e.thirteen
hahaha

I like old school, gangster/hardcore, and newer less knowstuff (boom bap project, styles of beyond, lexicon). I should get that album.

Check out this song,
and
this post

Maybe Kool Keith will sponsor you.

Damn it's a tough crowd in here! Thanks for the backup there Sean. I always new you were a stand up guy!

I raced beginner for about a year and a half, won Nats and moved up to Sport, got my ass handed to me first few times out. I rode hard and progressed alot. 2nd year in Sport I cleaned up. Finished out the CCCx series as a Sport rider and prompty moved to Expert where I got schooled first time out. (Although I was only about 5 weeks of off a 2nd degree shoulder separation, only rode twice during that time AND those 2 rides where on the new 6.6.)

I don't think I sandbagged at all in my career. Most of my wins weren't by that much, so I know in my heart I'm following the path I should be.

As far as the debate regarding Sponsorhouse goes, I'm almost 40. I have a wife and 6yo to support and spend time with. Yeah, I know guys at the local shops, but the reality is I don't have the time to play the high school "click" so I can get "hooked up." The free time I do have is spent with the family, or riding, or fixing the bike, helping out some of the groms I know or doing trail work. So for me, Sponsorhouse is a godsend. It allows me to ride quality equipment at a price point that I can afford.

Seems like there's some misplaced animosity floating around here. That or there's simply people with too much time on their hands worrying too much about what other people are doing rather than working on improving themselves.