Quantcast

Spooky...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
when are people going to realize that no website is better than a new 2007 website that is not complete or not ready to launch.
not so true...It creates buzz like this very thread...Gets people talking and e-speculating, it's a cheap and effective form of advertising...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I'm sure the website will be up soon. I bought myself a Spooky t-shirt. PM SuspectDevice, he's selling them and can probably give you more info than I can.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
where is supect device in this thread...we need him i do NOT want to have to buy a new bike but spooky is the one bike i wish i had owned from back in the day.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Heard back... Sounding like a good way to resurrect the name.

Best of luck, am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh man... I was out riding DH at Jiminy Peak yesterday and managed to hyper-extend most of the fingers on my right hand. Now I have a paw! It makes typing a real pain.

Bike companies (well at least mine) don't appear from scratch fully formed and ready pump out bikes. But restarting the company that raised me, educated me and enriched my life in innumerable ways is a different story. Lots of other people are glad to see Spooky back, and that is a real reassuring thing!

I've only been working on things full time for about a month and a half now, doing all the back room and administrative things necessary to make sure that Spooky 2.0 lasts as long as I want it to.

I am the only member of the O.G. Spooky crew directly involved in this revivification, all the other caffeine addled members of this team "get it" though . It isn't about the bikes, it's about the beliefs.

Bike are being designed, some are even already into the prototype stages. I'm not building them myself, but they are going to be built in the U.S. by folks who love to ride, and do a kickass job. Some in NY state, some in CO and some in WA. I love hardtails, of all sort, and I'm pretty picky and eccentric when it comes to features and geometry, but I think they are all going to be some fun riding bikes.

In the next 3 or 4 days the website will actually work, and contained therin will be lots of ranting hyperbole, lots of t-shirts, some geometry numbers, and god knows whatever else damn fool thing I think of.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I dont know if there is much that could get me off of my evil soveirgn hardtail but if Spooky has a similar bike that makes a rad xc east cost trail bike i might be all ears. Cant wait to see some stuff...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
im very excited, i just want to see some geo numbers!
mickey is one of the few people who i would trust with such a daunting task. i can almost gaurentee you that the bikes will not fall short of amazing.

mickey: mt snow this weekend? slalllllllom?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That chainring cross symbol in the flag would make for one badass mofo headtube badge
Wasn't it already the Spooky headtube logo? Also, is the image on the Spooky site from a Youth Brigade record? I feel it comes either from that or some 'Nardcore record from the 80's...hmmm.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wasn't it already the Spooky headtube logo? Also, is the image on the Spooky site from a Youth Brigade record? I feel it comes either from that or some 'Nardcore record from the 80's...hmmm.
Yes, it was. It makes a great tatoo as well. The image on the site was created by our very own in-house tweaker. Plenty of other Spooky images over the years have been stolen, co-opted etc... not that one though.

You are obviously getting loopy in yer old age Jim.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yes, it was. It makes a great tatoo as well. The image on the site was created by our very own in-house tweaker. Plenty of other Spooky images over the years have been stolen, co-opted etc... not that one though.

You are obviously getting loopy in yer old age Jim.
Yeah, been listening to a lot of 80's hardcore recently, must have been getting to me. Either that, or I was looking at my Spooky 'Minor Threat/Out of Step' shirt while watching Another State of Mind....and....yeah...old age.

Actually, I blame the loopiness on the baby coming any day now! HA!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Won't be the same unless FTW is making the frames, otherwise just a cheesy attempt to make money on an old name.
Why is that? Spooky was a whole bunch of people, one of which was Frank, for a few years. He was the heart and soul of DH bikes at Spooky, and sure knew a lot more than we did intially about making bikes. The first bikes Spooky ever hade made (easton elite XC hardtails) came from Chris Herting at 3D. They were designed with input from a lot of other frame builders as well. When Herting was unable to meet demand things were outsourced to Frank when he was in AZ. Changes in his life and his independent fab-shop percipitated his move to CT. Around the same time a lot of other really bright people starting working at Spooky doing machine parts, making tooling and greasing the wheels. The last 2 years Spooky v1.0 was in bussiness Frank was on his own, selling DH bikes that he made on his own under the Spooky name, while the Spooky shop continued to make hardtails, and tons of BMX bikes under the guidance of the amazing crew that worked there.

Spooky has always been a belief system first, and a bike company second. The personality of Spooky, the culture of Spooky, and what really makes the company the most important and central organising feature of the last 12 years of my life stands independent of any one person, but it has a lot more to do with the founders of the company and the way they treated me as a kid, and all the other kids than it has to do with the vagaries of who welds a bike.
FTW and I are immense friends, and I honestly believe the bikes he makes are among the best out there, but there is no room in either of our lives to work together on a project as bigs as the relaunch of Spooky and focus on the other projects we need to stay alive as well.

Luckily there are still many amazing fabrication shops available in the US who have the capacity and the skill to deliver what I need.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Sorry I was just stirring the pot. I always regretted not getting a Metalhead when I had the chance. can't wait to see what you guys turn out this time around

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Stirring the pot is great. It makes the beans cook quicker and more evenly, and releases the wonderful odors of garlic, shallots and vegetable broth to wet the pallete and arouse hunger in man and beast.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Stirring the pot is great. It makes the beans cook quicker and more evenly, and releases the wonderful odors of garlic, shallots and vegetable broth to wet the pallete and arouse hunger in man and beast.
Bwahahaha

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Hardtails only at this point?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
stoked to see what you guys have cooking. very cool to see y'all coming back. congrats!

Oh man... I was out riding DH at Jiminy Peak yesterday and managed to hyper-extend most of the fingers on my right hand. Now I have a paw! It makes typing a real pain.

Bike companies (well at least mine) don't appear from scratch fully formed and ready pump out bikes. But restarting the company that raised me, educated me and enriched my life in innumerable ways is a different story. Lots of other people are glad to see Spooky back, and that is a real reassuring thing!

I've only been working on things full time for about a month and a half now, doing all the back room and administrative things necessary to make sure that Spooky 2.0 lasts as long as I want it to.

I am the only member of the O.G. Spooky crew directly involved in this revivification, all the other caffeine addled members of this team "get it" though . It isn't about the bikes, it's about the beliefs.

Bike are being designed, some are even already into the prototype stages. I'm not building them myself, but they are going to be built in the U.S. by folks who love to ride, and do a kickass job. Some in NY state, some in CO and some in WA. I love hardtails, of all sort, and I'm pretty picky and eccentric when it comes to features and geometry, but I think they are all going to be some fun riding bikes.

In the next 3 or 4 days the website will actually work, and contained therin will be lots of ranting hyperbole, lots of t-shirts, some geometry numbers, and god knows whatever else damn fool thing I think of.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
please tell me they'll be at least a little special...i'd love to see/pay for the return of hand-made frames, and I don't consider kinesis in wa to be "hand" made.

but I'd love a darkside, one way or the other.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Hey Suspect,

Don't know you, as far as I know we never met.....

Good luck, rock on, I like what I'm hearing...

Brian

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Spooky has always been a belief system first, and a bike company second......the vagaries of who welds a bike.....Luckily there are still many amazing fabrication shops available in the US who have the capacity and the skill to deliver what I need.
lol, try typing that over at mtbr.com and watch them flame the **** outta you.

Good luck with the Spookys. Always thought they were clean, well thought out frames and it would be ace to see them kickin' on the trails again.

:happydance: