Quantcast

Sportslegs is my new best friend

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Let me start off by saying that I am not a road biker at all, I hate pedaling. I race DH and my downfall is getting out of the saddle and really putting constant power into the pedals.
I had a Fuji road bike that was decent but was too big and really kept me from doing more than 10 miles on it.
I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9 and it was the best bike purchase that I have had in a long time. Last week I logged 210 miles in 3 straight days.
I still had problems on the hills with the pedaling aspect so I went to the LBS and picked up a bottle of sportslegs, being a little hesitant to think that they would do much. They are incredible though and has made my rides more enjoyable, longer and faster.
Is there any other products out there that I should be looking at?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You are sure its just not more training paying off?

Anyway I bought a road bike last year after many years of DH only and its been great and has enable me to ride much more and get in great shape.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I prefer Hammer's version as it comes in a powder you just mix in your Camelbak (no sugar so doesn't breed bacteria like sport drink mixes). Great for really hot days and epic rides:

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/electrolytes/product2254.html

When you don't feel like taking capsules, Endurolytes Powder is the answer. Nearly identical to the Endurolytes encapsulated formula, Endurolytes Powder comes in bulk, with a scoop (one level scoop is equal to one Endurolytes capsule), allowing you to mix the powder directly into your water bottle. We've added 50 mg of the amino acid Glycine, which helps neutralize the naturally salty to bitter taste of the electrolytic minerals. There are 150 scoops/servings per container.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
putting it in your camelpack is actually like a great idea..i never thought about doing that
The capsules don't mix with water very well, the formulation is slightly different. Before I got the powder mix though that is what I did (dump the capsule contents in the Camelbak) as I don't like stopping to swallow pills.

Gnarshmellow

Lil' Thniper
Apr 11, 2010
Bellingham Wa
i dont really use my camel pack very often tho..for some reason i fill it up all the way every time i go up on the local trails..but the only time i ever really use it, is when im done hiking up..i drink a lil before i head down the trails..so that wouldnt be very affective for me(im not talking about road biking..im talkin about DH)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Sportlegs are awesome! I used to bonk at about 1-1.5 hours during mountain ride which usually led to me heading back to my car but after i started taking sports legs it felt like I got a second wind. For longer XC races or rides I'll use sports legs before the ride and use electrolyte tablets in one of my water bottles.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Where do u buy sports legs anyway? and how much is it?
I bought mine at the LBS for about $20.

Training has definitely helped on my leg strength but no matter how much I train, my quads always hurt really bad. The sportslegs give me a great advantage physically and mentally.

I do like the sound of the powder though as I ride with a small dakine camelbak on my road rides.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I do like the sound of the powder though as I ride with a small dakine camelbak on my road rides.
If your LBS doesn't have Hammer's stuff you can get 10% off zombierunner.com orders with TRBLOG or ZRTRAILS codes (I think those still work?).

Lots of brands are doing the caps these days with small variations on formulation but the basic electrolytes are all there. Carb Boom!:

http://www.carbboom.com/products/electrolytes.html

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Is there any other products out there that I should be looking at?
For electrolyte i use Electro Mix....is very cheap and zero calories. Has a subtle fizz. Electro replacement seems to help me more after the ride when recovering and rehydrating...maybe on 8-10 hour rides it would help during.

Another product.....get a good foam roller, that'll get the knots out of your quads.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
True no sodium, i kind of like that.....but i'm not doing 8-10 hour rides. Is no problem finding sodium in foods after the ride. American food is not sodium deprived....:brow:
The whole purpose of these supplements is to replace the essential minerals your body loses in exercise (same with sport drinks). Sodium is one of the primary ones you lose and is key in muscle function. You'll start sweating on much shorter rides than 8-10 hours especially when its hot. In summertime it would probably be worthwhile to take these on rides as short as 2 hours.

The average US diet has little bearing on athletic activity/athletes - they need the extra calories and supplements.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The whole purpose of these supplements is to replace the essential minerals your body loses in exercise (same with sport drinks). Sodium is one of the primary ones you lose and is key in muscle function. You'll start sweating on much shorter rides than 8-10 hours especially when its hot. In summertime it would probably be worthwhile to take these on rides as short as 2 hours.
Good point. I still like that no sodium option though....i get too much sodium in my daily diet.

Here's a tip: mix some lime Electro-Mix with a litre of water, and splash of Limeaide. Is very good...depending on the brand of limeaide it tastes similair to gatorade with almost no sugar. Electro-mix uses stevia whcih is very sweet...but in a litre of water is just takes the edge off the tartness.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Sportlegs are awesome.

It's not the same as sports drinks.

It doesn't have electrolytes.

It uses lactate to fuel your muscles and control the amount of lactic acid so you don't feel as much burn during hard workouts or soreness the next day.

It works.

http://www.sportlegs.com/how/how.asp

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sportlegs are awesome.

It's not the same as sports drinks.

It doesn't have electrolytes.

It uses lactate to fuel your muscles and control the amount of lactic acid so you don't feel as much burn during hard workouts or soreness the next day.

It works.

http://www.sportlegs.com/how/how.asp
It has Ca and Mg are electrolyte minerals and it has the lactate form of them. There is no RCT, peer reviewed double blind to show polylactates are anything special, especially the snake oil claims from SL. Its marketing/placebo effect (rampant in the sport supplement industry) at best and they've had 7 years to prove otherwise. You do get limited benefits from the Ca and Mg though, but its not anything unique or significant.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/health-nutrition-supplements/112198-any-one-tried-sportlegs.html

Rather than purchasing some SL which isn't proven to work (yet), and if you people really want to help 'neutralize' the "lactic acid burn" then you can pop down to your local chemist (or similar) and purchase some sodium bicarbonate. Bicarb loading is proven in quite a few studies to increase performance, and decrease the lactate produced. it's dirt cheap. there are some side effects of it, as some people do suffer GI problems, but as with most things in life you don't get a "free lunch". If you do try some bicarb loading you need 0.3g per kg body mass, and take about an hour or so prior to very heavy exercise. for e.g., if you have a mass of 70 kg then you'll need 21 grams of bicarb.

and remember folks, bicarb is proven on the other hand polylactates aren't. if you're going to try any, i'd suggest cytomax, as it least it has carbs and electrolytes in and they _do_ increase performance.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I haven't tried sportlegs, but I have been a big fan of Elete in my water and haven't had issues with cramping or excessive fatigue either. It's natural, easy to use (mix it in with my waterbottles or camelbak), doesn't really alter the taste of my water and it's inexpensive.