Quantcast

Sportworks (Thule) on sale! until Saturday

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
for those of you who are thinking of buying a rack:

thule is having a 20% off sale until tomorrow (the 16th). you can find the participating dealers on their horrible website, or just shop at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48018475

assuming you have a REI near you and you choose in-store pickup (which is free) then you can get your grubby paws on a T2 for $287.99 + tax - whatever dividend you get at the end of the year, which is a pretty good price in my book for the best rack out there (imo).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that photo looks nothing like the way i put my bikes on...i put the 'crook' right near the fork, not nearly as far away...is that wrong? feels solid, anyway.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
that photo looks nothing like the way i put my bikes on...i put the 'crook' right near the fork, not nearly as far away...is that wrong? feels solid, anyway.
yeah, that's what you're supposed to do according to the manual, iirc. the photo is just some rei photo assistant schmoe's doing.

J

JRB

I'll bet Julie would be pissed. Can I use last years dividends on sale stuff??? I thought I read that I couldn't.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
loco said:
I'll bet Julie would be pissed. Can I use last years dividends on sale stuff??? I thought I read that I couldn't.
no, you can use your dividend. you won't earn any credit towards this year's dividend by purchasing sale items, however

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Just bought one of the Sportworks style racks, model 917. $360 retail came down to $277 with the sale, dividend and gift card. Will post pics when it's installed.
I now have a Saris Bones 3 rack for sale. Used 3 times. $50+shipping for monkies.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have the sportworks version, does that rear tire strap/mount fit on mine?
cause the original swivil thing is pretty lame.

J

JRB

After I read a review of the plastic trays breaking, I got scared. I ended up ordering one of these from Agee's for $279.20, delivered though.

J

JRB

MtnBikerChk said:
sweet - I didn't know Yak had copied the T2 design :) I've always been a Yak fan though.
Me neither, and I like Yak trays better than Thule so we'll see. It's nice you can add on too. Not that I will. I even ordered a Hurricane 20mm adapter so I can still use a tray if I take the camper.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
Me neither, and I like Yak trays better than Thule so we'll see. It's nice you can add on too. Not that I will. I even ordered a Hurricane 20mm adapter so I can still use a tray if I take the camper.
you can add another tray for a 3rd bike w/ the T2 as well, as long as you are using the 2" hitch.

where/how were the plastic wheel wells breaking? they really aren't subjected to that much force.

J

JRB

narlus said:
you can add another tray for a 3rd bike w/ the T2 as well, as long as you are using the 2" hitch.

where/how were the plastic wheel wells breaking? they really aren't subjected to that much force.
I read they were broken when they got the rack. Not bashing them, I just thought the cast trays on the Yaks seemed better. It was tough, since the Thule releases seem to be in a better spot. We'll see. Hopefully I won't hate it. They are all pretty much expandable. I was just talking. I do that. :D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
narlus said:
Sorry, now it's 2 more or nothing. I just fitted mine with the T2 two bike extension. Holy crap that's a lot of rack hanging off the back. I'll need some red flags or reflecive tape. I'll get some pics up soon.

Mike

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Dartman said:
Sorry, now it's 2 more or nothing. I just fitted mine with the T2 two bike extension. Holy crap that's a lot of rack hanging off the back. I'll need some red flags or reflecive tape. I'll get some pics up soon.

Mike
so is that a change which Thule instituted?

and did i read you right? you've got 4 bikes??? yikes.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
narlus said:
so is that a change which Thule instituted?

and did i read you right? you've got 4 bikes??? yikes.
Yes, it's a change that Thule instituted.

I ordered at 2+1 bike rack and had to change up to the 2+2. It's a hoot! The thing extends about 5 feet from the rear and when folded up pretty much covers up the entire rear hatch of my XTerra.

...and I have four bikes.

Intense M1
Intense Tracer
SC Bullit
Rocky Mountain Flow

But I also shuttle friends.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
MtnBikerChk said:
2 mtb and 2 road for 2 people - really not that unreasonable LOL!

I read the install manual on Thule's website to check out the 2 bike addon - yikes, that does look like a lot of rack. Let me know if it's stable.
It seems rock solid. I can shake the whole vehicle with it and the rack doesn't flex a bit. (I didn't even have the bolts in for the extension)

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
loco said:
After I read a review of the plastic trays breaking, I got scared. I ended up ordering one of these from Agee's for $279.20, delivered though.
That's funny seeing Agee's as national. They're a LBS to us here in Richmond. They do have the largest inventory and best prices in the area for Thule and Yakima racks.

Mike

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MtnBikerChk said:
2 mtb and 2 road for 2 people - really not that unreasonable LOL!
no, i was remarking on the 4 bike hitch rack. i think my hitch is rated for 150#; the weight of the T2 w/ just two trays is probably 40# or so, so throw on a couple DH bikes and i'm near the limit. 2 more seems like excessive, esp given the lever arm of the 4th bike. i'd want to make sure that the road is pretty smooth; ever go over a highway seam fast and think the car just about got air? doesn't sound like a good mix w/ a big and long load on the back of yr vehicle.

MtnBikerChk said:
I read the install manual on Thule's website to check out the 2 bike addon - yikes, that does look like a lot of rack. Let me know if it's stable.
so i'm confused; does Thule still make the add-on? seems like this is listed on their site:

and the front wheel 'crook' is positioned where i use it, as opposed to the other Thule picture...does Thule have a lot of conflicting data on their site, or is it just me?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
no, i was remarking on the 4 bike hitch rack. i think my hitch is rated for 150#; the weight of the T2 w/ just two trays is probably 40# or so, so throw on a couple DH bikes and i'm near the limit. 2 more seems like excessive, esp given the lever arm of the 4th bike. i'd want to make sure that the road is pretty smooth; ever go over a highway seam fast and think the car just about got air? doesn't sound like a good mix w/ a big and long load on the back of yr vehicle.
and this is how you get situations such as mine: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118828&highlight=sportworks . i guess that thread isn't the best as it's from after the fact, but i can't find the original one when i had the problem.

fwiw, that happened with my old pathfinder. its 2" hitch was rated for 500 lb tongue weight iirc.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Qman said:
I now have a Saris Bones 3 rack for sale. Used 3 times. $50+shipping for monkies.
SPAM!!
The good kind. :) If your serious, I'm interested - depending on shipping cost. Just gave my old rack away and was saving up for this one. Purrrrrfect! :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
and this is how you get situations such as mine: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118828&highlight=sportworks . i guess that thread isn't the best as it's from after the fact, but i can't find the original one when i had the problem.

fwiw, that happened with my old pathfinder. its 2" hitch was rated for 500 lb tongue weight iirc.
i checked @ lunch, and my hitch (drawtite, i think) is rated for 200# tongue weight. still, as it's a homemade kludge job (2" receiver welded below the 1.25" tube) i'd stay on the safe side. if/when we need to get the extension, hopefully that can run safely on the van hitch mount.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I still have my old school SW Transport with the bungee cord action. I rule....

I have to un-modify it though. I extended it to work on my Liberty....spare tire. But now with the WJ, I need to shorten it back up again.....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
it took you 16 minutes to come up with that? tsk tsk

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
BuddhaRoadkill said:
SPAM!!
The good kind. :) If your serious, I'm interested - depending on shipping cost. Just gave my old rack away and was saving up for this one. Purrrrrfect! :cool:
If shipping will make or break the deal then I'm not sure I believe you're ready to buy. This rack is ~$100 retail and there's no way shipping will be close to $50 unless you want it UPS Red.
Either way, PM with your zip code when/if you're serious and I'll let you know what UPS ground will be.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Toshi said:
it took you 16 minutes to come up with that? tsk tsk

HARDLY! I had only just stumbled upon the thread again. sheesh....some of us have lives ya know...I'm not one of those people, but some of us do.

AND, Mr. I'm so smart guy, the above photo is a mutilated ZJ, not WJ......so THERE!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
loco said:

Like Dart said, its funny to see people buying from Agee's around the country. Is there a store near you, or mail order only?

Around here in Richmond there are two stores, and they are the EVIL bike shop. Now we have a Performance, so thats 3 stores i'm trying to keep people away from :rolleyes:

I have the Sportworks T2 and got a 3rd bike add on for it, but now I can't get a 4th if I want one! Oh well.

And they are a lot cheaper if you are a Thule "Rack it Scientist" :D (Thanks shop job 3 years ago!)

J

JRB

BigMike said:
Like Dart said, its funny to see people buying from Agee's around the country. Is there a store near you, or mail order only?

Around here in Richmond there are two stores, and they are the EVIL bike shop. Now we have a Performance, so thats 3 stores i'm trying to keep people away from :rolleyes:

I have the Sportworks T2 and got a 3rd bike add on for it, but now I can't get a 4th if I want one! Oh well.

And they are a lot cheaper if you are a Thule "Rack it Scientist" :D (Thanks shop job 3 years ago!)
I don't care if Agee's is a pile of Darth Vader crap, this was a cheap price for this rack.

J

JRB

Bad ass - I ordered this Sunday night and it will be here Friday with free shipping. Hell yeah.

In Transit -
On Time

Scheduled Delivery: 04/21/2006
Shipped to: TEMPLE, TX, US
Shipped or Billed on: 04/17/2006

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
loco said:
I don't care if Agee's is a pile of Darth Vader crap, this was a cheap price for this rack.
It'd be kinda cool if Darth Vader's crap sold bike stuff :D

And i'm not saying i've never bought stuff from evil corporations, i'm just sayin'......:)

J

JRB

BigMike said:
It'd be kinda cool if Darth Vader's crap sold bike stuff :D

And i'm not saying i've never bought stuff from evil corporations, i'm just sayin'......:)
I love Performance too. I just wish they could tell me what axle I need to convert my Loco wheels to a bolt on, but I am gonna just be happy they were cheap and pull the axle out to see what I need. :thumb:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
loco said:
I love Performance too. I just wish they could tell me what axle I need to convert my Loco wheels to a bolt on, but I am gonna just be happy they were cheap and pull the axle out to see what I need. :thumb:

They are definantly hit or miss. Some know stuff about bikes, some don't. I'm just against the corporations as a whole, knowing some of the stuff I know from being inside it for a few years.

They undercut on Thule and Yakima as well. Not as much as Agee's, but if you take them a price Agee's gives you they'll match it.