Quantcast

SPOT Device

gonefirefightin

free wieners
first of all if you dont know what a spot device is you can learn up here

I am re-plugging my spot device contacts since it has been a while since the last update and most of the contacts are gone or unavailable to warrant even having them in there. plus I am allot more mobile these days and covering allot more states and areas.

there are a handful of you guys on here that I know would be more than willing to help out in a time of need or an emergency and am asking just that. in the next two months I will be in alaska, washington, oregon, california, colorado, montana, wyoming, new mexico and arizona. I will usually be in the middle of no where with no cell reception. are there any monkeys in these areas that would be willing to cough up a cell number for a text or email (which ever you get faster) on my spot list in case of problems?

I have only used the device three times since it was available, twice was for critical injuries on others in my group and once was for myself in montana when I had a snowmobile crash. these have all been emergency messages, I will not bother sending you these since a heli will come. you would get a "help" message. this would mean I am stranded or stuck or possibly a minor injury similar to that nature and without cell service. you will get a brief help message and a google maps link to my lat long location.

I know I am going to add jimmydean since he is in oregon and I am there alot. I will also add stinkyboy since I am around his way alot. any of you feel up to it?

if so shoot me a PM with either method you want to be notified

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You know I'm down. I think I still have your old spot link, but send it anyway. Don't want you getting eaten by a mama grizzly while you are up there and stuff.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a couple insiders from alaska that will be there in a bind, they are all three SF instructors at fort wainwright. I know they have every resource know to man to help out if it hits the fan. this will be my first solo trip, 9 day float with no comms. if anything does go wrong it will go wrong verdy much badly.

I am more worried about my other jaunts in the lower 48, I always tend to do stupid.......ugh........poor choices sometimes. and being my hunts and jaunts involve powersports ya ever really know.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I thought you already had women in all the states who were ready to give a helping hand at any time?
They're all in bed recovering from breast augmentation surgery.

GFF, I'm nowhere near where it'd be helpful to add me but if you're ever on the east coast I'd be happy to help out :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My buddy carried a Spot tracker when he rolled the Tour Divide. You could track him on the Tours website. He got a little freaked as random people would run out of their houses screaming his name as he rode by. Internet stalking at its best.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm, interesting, we could probably do an integration where it could cause a thread to be generated in response to an email, which could be in the contacts list - might hit people who are local or not regular posters, or even a charitable lurker. Wonder if anyone else uses this Spot device and might find it useful?

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I can't see how that could be true, especially in some of the western states, but I guess it depends on what their definition of a road is.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On the chevy truck site a member was driving his project from Florida to Arizona and posted updates along the way. They set up a sign up sheet for other members along his route so he had contacts in case of breakage and whatnot.

He wasn't in the hood like you will be, but I thought it was very cool. He hooked up with a few members along the way and it was nice to see folks supporting other folks.

You need to bring you ass back up this way so we can ride, bitch.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Hmm, interesting, we could probably do an integration where it could cause a thread to be generated in response to an email, which could be in the contacts list - might hit people who are local or not regular posters, or even a charitable lurker. Wonder if anyone else uses this Spot device and might find it useful?
on my old dual sport site we just had a spot forum where everyone would paste the link for their certain trip and would post who was on the device.

most motorcyclists have one nowadays, not sure about cyclists. I have my spot linked to my facebook so all my messages come over on my status updates.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I can't see how that could be true, especially in some of the western states, but I guess it depends on what their definition of a road is.
I've heard the same stat mentioned before in reference to the lower 48. It's harder to believe if you include Alaska. Go to google maps and try zooming in to some of the less populated areas. I haven't found many places that aren't within ten miles of a road.

If you drop in the coordinates 44.139841,-109.940186 you'll get what is roughly the area that what some people are saying is the furthest from a road in the lower 48. Even here it appears to be less than 25 miles.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
i looked at the lat and long you gave me, i got 26 miles to the nearest road. maybe its true, but it seems crazy to me. Especially with how big and empty states like montana, wyoming, and nevada are, or at least seemed to be.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
SE Corner of Yellowstone is the most remote in the lower 48

+++++

With more than 4 million miles of roads in the United States, the farthest you can venture from a road is 22 miles (unless you’re wandering around Alaska or the swamps of Louisiana). The only place you can be 22 miles away from road in the contiguous states is a spot in the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

http://www.livescience.com/4442-road-trip-america-paved-places.html

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SE Corner of Yellowstone is the most remote in the lower 48

+++++

With more than 4 million miles of roads in the United States, the farthest you can venture from a road is 22 miles (unless you’re wandering around Alaska or the swamps of Louisiana). The only place you can be 22 miles away from road in the contiguous states is a spot in the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

http://www.livescience.com/4442-road-trip-america-paved-places.html

freakin pitiful