Quantcast

sprained ankle how long

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I sprained my ankle about 20 days ago and have done a decent job of staying off of it. It was a pretty bad sprain did the aircast and rice routine.
how long has it taken all you guys to get back to 100% after something like this
and pointers for recovery other than RICE

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I think the most critical thing in getting back to riding and, more importantly, preventing reinjury is a good rehab routine. Having blown up an ankle, I find the theraband-based exercises to be really helpful. Basically, you want to use the theraband to perform resistance exercises in all 4 directions (move foot towards midline, away from midline, extend foot, and pull foot upwards.) For range of motion, write the alphabet with your toes. A key part of rehab that many people neglect is restoration of balance. The ankle joint has reflexes designed to avoid rolling it over...these are frequently affected by an ankle sprain and must be restored to avoid reinjury. I think the best way is to stand on the injured foot for 60 seconds first with arms out and eyes open, and as you recover, with arms in and eyes closed.

Do the exercises each day. It's annoying, but not as annoying as reinjury.

A good lace up ankle brace for athletic activities is a great idea as well.

good luck.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
how old are you? im 26 and injuries are already taking that much longer to heal. sprained wrist is like on month 4 and its just getting back to 100%. some times these things can take months before they are back to normal. even it feels almost there, it would be best to wear a brace when riding just in case.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
high ankle or low ankle sprain? I've found the high ankle sprains don't really affect your riding that much so you can start riding a lot sooner than with the low ankle sprains. Best of luck either way, injuries suck no matter what you hurt.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
it was a serious blow up heard two "pops" when i did it.
although im 24 it took longer when i did the same thing to the other ankle in high school six years ago

bruising covered most of the ankle all around and went up my leg as well so i would assume it was a high and low

ive been rotating it on and off at work and at home for a couple weeks now with and with out the therapy band.
im definatley going to ace bandage it up if i can't find a lace up brace

did some road work yesterday and was able to use clipless.
i ran on it today with minimal pain and did some agility exercises just to test it out. and yah blaze never hurts. im gonna tri some djs tommorow i think so i can have an idea of what plattekill will do to it

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Been about two weeks since I sprained my ankle. I'm far from 100% but able to ride. I know it's not wise to ride that early but I'm DJ'n on my fully. I hit my jump last night on my hardtail and the ankle felt pretty solid. I keep the ankle laced up in a hard brace so I won't roll it again. I believe in excersizing it as much as possible without aggrevating it.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
I had one sprain that took months before i was 100%. I could jump from a swing and land on it by the time a month was out, without shoes, but i still felt pain or non-standard discomfort when i moved it far for another month.
And that was what's called a level 2 sprain, if it was a full-on evel 3 it could be a year, that ****'s bad, that means fully ripping one of the ligaments, it's worse than a compound fracture.