Quantcast

Sprained ankles...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that's what mine looked like the night before my first varsity golf tournament. i did get a pop, though, and my heel turned purple. my coach thought a broke a bone (he said it was that loud).

Alright, smarty pants..what is it?
with that swelling ( i assume you did it today) that looks liek a fracture of some sort. I actually did an avulsion fracture that i was able to walk on the day i did it, next morning no way in hell was i walking. basically the ligament pulled off a chip of bone on the outside of my ankle, which put most of the swelling right where yours is. didnt here a pop or a crack or anything, and jsut did it by rolling the ankle really bad. you will know in the morning. will be super tender to the touch, wont be able to move it in the least and the bruising will have come. no matter what it is, keep it elevated (above your heart), dont put much if any weight on it, ice it 20 minutes then off 20 then back in a repeated cycle and put a compression bandage (ace wrap) on it. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. all of those will help. but from the localized swelling and how bad it is, i would say there is bone damage there in some sort. by the way i am not an idiot on this stuff....3 torn ligaments in kness, 2 requiring surgery, one broken ankle (described above) and so many sprains that the ligaments in my ankle are stretched to the point that i actually get a positive sprain result when i am "normal" (grab the heel bone, pull down and rock side to side, there is an audible clunk that you can feel as well from the bones being able to seperate) that and i have yet to mis diagnose a ligament injury on my self in the past 14 years. that includes shoulders as well.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
with that swelling ( i assume you did it today) that looks liek a fracture of some sort. I actually did an avulsion fracture that i was able to walk on the day i did it, next morning no way in hell was i walking. basically the ligament pulled off a chip of bone on the outside of my ankle, which put most of the swelling right where yours is. didnt here a pop or a crack or anything, and jsut did it by rolling the ankle really bad. you will know in the morning. will be super tender to the touch, wont be able to move it in the least and the bruising will have come. no matter what it is, keep it elevated (above your heart), dont put much if any weight on it, ice it 20 minutes then off 20 then back in a repeated cycle and put a compression bandage (ace wrap) on it. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. all of those will help. but from the localized swelling and how bad it is, i would say there is bone damage there in some sort. by the way i am not an idiot on this stuff....3 torn ligaments in kness, 2 requiring surgery, one broken ankle (described above) and so many sprains that the ligaments in my ankle are stretched to the point that i actually get a positive sprain result when i am "normal" (grab the heel bone, pull down and rock side to side, there is an audible clunk that you can feel as well from the bones being able to seperate) that and i have yet to mis diagnose a ligament injury on my self in the past 14 years. that includes shoulders as well.
well, this happened last night...no pop or crack...just instant pain.

Guaranteed, it's not broken. I called out of work today and just iced, elevated and moved it around to get the blood going.

about 24 hours later, I can drive a stick and walk fine. there's still some swelling..but, i can treat that with ice. I've taken a lot of the sports meds classes to fill pre-req's for my major, so, it's nothing new to me and I know what is going on. I'm not worried..I'll be playing in a week.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Not dark enough for a distal fib fx. You really wouldn't be touching it, driving or anything else on it. Looks like a nasty sprain. Probably turned your ankle in, maybe 2 of three ligaments damaged.

Edit: Dude, you shave your legs? :disgust:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Once you sprain that sucker that badly, you can look forward to a life of constant ankle sprins (I know). Don't worry...they get easier and easier to bounce back from. :D

Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Once you sprain that sucker that badly, you can look forward to a life of constant ankle sprins (I know). Don't worry...they get easier and easier to bounce back from. :D
god dont i know that one...i have folded it completely over the last few times, collapse on the ground wait a minute and am fine to hobble, within 5 minutes i am not even limping anymore

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It actually could be broken despite what some internet physicians might try and tell you. When I broke my foot last year I had no bruising or anything, just swelling like yours. Not saying there arent key characteristics to identify certain issues, but hey, what could an X ray hurt....as long as they use the lead apron I mean.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Didn't you (manzi) lecture me on shaving my legs at Sea Otter?
Doubtful...I've been shaving my legs for a good...4 years now.

I'm pretty sure it was curbhucker or that tool dexterq20.

uh, yea, my cankle is alright. Minimal swelling, no bruising, and I can walk/jog just fine with very little pain and no pills or alcohol. My ROM is about 170° Distal, 95° Proximal. Just thinking I rolled it pretty h-c0r. I'll live.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Have fun with that. I too managed to avulse part of the bone back in December. I did what you're doing (nothing) and then rebroke it in late January. Go see a doc, do some PT and be smart. Young and stupid doesn't last forever.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
dude definatley go and get it x rayed its worth it to know exaclty what you are dealing with. if you didn't hear a pop that good. i hate that sound. if oyu dont have any bruising thats good too i had brusing all up and down my achilles and into my footbed