Quantcast

Spring Break Ride -- March 17 to 22 -- Our Plan/Your Advice

aviatorsman

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
Alright, myself and a friend from Clemson are going to spend our spring break riding the NC mountains. We were considering going much farther to Moab or somewhere out there, but the money/time constraints are going to keep us here.

For reference, I'm on an Iron Horse 7.3 and my buddy is on a Transition Preston FR. So far here is our plan broken down by each day:

Sat. March 17th
Drive to Fontana
Ride as much as possible
Camp
Sun March 18th
Drive to Tsali
Ride the Right/Left loops
Camp
Mon March 19th
Ride Mouse/Thom. loops at Tsali
Drive to Ashville
Enjoy Ashville night life
Motel (hot shower!)
Tues March 20th
Drive down towards Pisgah
Bent Creek Area -- what rides?
Camp
Wed March 21st
more Pisgah
Ride Trace Ridge
Slate Ridge/Pilot Rock
Camp
Thurs March 22nd
more Pisgah
Big Avery Loop
What else?
Drive to Clemson

So, what are your thoughts? What would you do differently? Let me know if you are interested in riding any of the days with us...

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
Hell yeah, should be an awsome time, I cant wait. Ill be on the preston

we are looking for people interested in joining us on some of the rides if you know the area. Also where are the places to go for some nightlife in A-town and surrounding areas?

aviatorsman

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
I'm thinking about swapping our plan around where we end in Fontana/Tsali. That way after all the crazy climbs in Pisgah we'll get a little bit of a break.

We only have on truck, so we can't really shuttle. So it looks like we're going to be doing some pedaling and making everything a loop.

Any suggestions on how you would make any of these a loop?
-Bennett Trail
-Black Mountain
-Anything in the Bent Creek area

Nc Bo

Chimp
Feb 16, 2007
Bend OR/Asheville NC
skip the XC bs at Tsali and Fontana. Go to Wilson creek area instead... headly shuttles rock , greentown and beehive will get your adreanal glands working! have fun guys! Bo

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yup.
Saturday shuttle at Headley. Descend all day. Sty at the comfort inn in Marion that night or camp in Curtis Creek off the Old Fort exit.
Sunday - Day two - Climb Heartbreak and descend into Old Fort, then do Kitsuma. All day event...lots of steep, fun..fun...fun. Bring lots of food. Or skip heartbreak, do a loop of Kitsuma and get in the car and drive to Bent Creek and knock out a couple runs on Greenslick. Drive across the ridge and camp either roadside or in the camping area in Mills River.
Mon - Wake up in Mills River. Climb Wash creek Rd to Spencer Branch and cross over to Spencer Branch. At the first dirt road, turn Right and go out and drop into Fletcher Creek. Climb up to Trace Ridge parking area and turn right and do the last little descent down to the river. Your done. Head to Asheville and hit the showers and head downtown to Barleys/Tupelo Honey/Orange Peel/etc.
Tues - drive to Brevard. Do Black Mtn and Sycamore Cove. You'll be done.
Wed - Brevard - Climb Clawhammer to Black Mtn, left across the ridge and descend Bennett Gap (no driving to the top as the road's closed).

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
alright so we tentatively have set up a schedule similar to what bizutch just said...anyone want to go with us and shuttle some of the trails or ride w/ us that knows the area?