Quantcast

Spring is here and thoughts turn to Wenatchee

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
With the weather finally changing to real spring weather I thought of two of the better bike rides that are coming up in the Wenatchee area. First on June 4th Das Radhaus hosts the 8th annual Bike and Brew in Leavenworth which has the great climb up Freund Canyon.
The following week on Saturday June 11th the Wenatchee Rotary host the Apple Valley Century which last year attracted over 900 riders and is one of the most popular rides in the state.
Devils Gulch-Mission Ridge should be clearing out of snow pretty quickly and that is one of the best if not the best ride in the state.

If riding a bike 100 miles or doing 3200 feet of climbing in Leavenworth or 4500 feet at Devils Gulch isnt your bag there is always the Apple Blossom Festival which runs April 28 to May 8th. They have added a new event to Apple Blossom which might appeal to a couple of RMers. Here it is:

The Costco Apple Pie Eating Contest :p
Sunday, May 8th at 2pm at the Unicel Entertainment Stage.

Win up to $100 by participating in the 1st Annual Costco Apple Pie Eating Contest! There will be 3 age categories and monetary prizes to the top finishers who can eat a pie the fastest with no hands: $50 for ages 6-12; $75 for ages 13-17 and $100 for ages 18 & over. Contest takes place on Sunday, May 8th at 2pm in Memorial Park. Forms must be received at the Festival Office, 516 Washington St., Wenatchee, 98801 by 5pm, April 22nd. Participants will be contacted Monday, April 25th with rules & regulations.
;)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
It should be fun riding in the sage brush, might be one of the better races. I am tired of running around in the woods. I was looking at a map and It looks like Ephrata is at elevation 1250 and Breezley hills look like they might be about 2400 feet so maybe their might be some climbing-I hope so anyway.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I have no idea what trails the course will use on Beezely, but there is definitely some climbing up there. To climb the fire road to the top is 2 or 3 miles up up up, I think. I don't know if they will take the course up to the top, though. There are some fun trails out there and they seem to be building more daily. Last sunday I saw several new trails that I hadn't noticed the week prior. Not sure where they got the "moderately technical" they mention on the race website, though. Mostly it's just smooth and fast with a few steep and/or rocky spots. There may very well be some trails that I haven't discovered yet, though.

I don't know that I'll race, but I may head over just to check things out. I'd like to see how they route the course.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I am thinking the same thing about checking it out. The course will run clockwise on Beezley Hill and it will be marked on friday for preride. Running through sagebrush-almost as good as desert.