Quantcast

Spring MonkeyFest 2005 at Pisgah NF

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
Surgery or accident.
Throttled my knee against a piece of steel at work. Hurt like a sumbitch. So Im gunna be a little out of shape, but not too bad off. I been riding the exercise bike like 20 minutes a day HARD for the last couple weeks, but havent seen a trail since like November...except on my dirtbike.

...some mountain biker I am. Life is wierd.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Well I have the days off work.... I need to get in shape... I'm SO F'ing out of shape.... Maybe I'll just come to camp. :)

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
sooooo, who is doing what? I mean, DH, trailbike, XC, agressive XC, race XC, beginner XC, singlespeed XC, whatever-they-call-it-today-XC. Should I bring my freeride hardtail or hopefully-built DH bike or XC bike, or all or a couple.....tanx

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
motomike said:
sooooo, who is doing what? I mean, DH, trailbike, XC, agressive XC, race XC, beginner XC, singlespeed XC, whatever-they-call-it-today-XC. Should I bring my freeride hardtail or hopefully-built DH bike or XC bike, or all or a couple.....tanx
If you had a Heckler you'd only need 1 bike :thumb:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude i only got to say pisgah. if the bike dont have freeride or dh in the title or discription dont bring it. you catch my drift moto. im bringing the sgs

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I have done a ton of ridding in pisgah on my XC bike. This included climbing up Black Mtn. BOTH ways. Still had a blast, but we'll see if the DH bike is built by then(probably not). Hell, I'll just shuttle the freakin thing.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ok this is less then a month away. Who is ready :D :thumb: :D

If any other :monkey: 's are interested, there is a decent sized group of us coming up from FL and we will be there Thursday AM. I think the plan is to do the following ride (xc/shuttle) from N Mills Thursday.

Drop-in from the undisclosed location, climb the remainder of Trace (about 1/8th mile easy climb) down Trace to the trail head, then up the Fire Road to Spencer Branch, across Spencer Gap, down Spencer Branch to the Never Ending road, turn right 1 mile to Fletcher Creek down Fletcher to the reservoir, climb out of the reservoir back to Trace Ridge Trail head, down lower Trace, across N Mills River and back to N Mill parking lot.

We have a pretty diverse group coming up (intermediates to advanced riders) so anyone is welcome to join us, it will NOT be a hammer/haula$$ fest.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
LOOnatic said:
Sounds good Rob.
You are going to mount some panniers to your bike so we can have cold beers handy right? :sneaky:
Right?
If I have to dang it. Y

o Loo what day are you meeting us? You wanna go on that above ride with us? I'll call you this week, maybe you can just park at N Mill and I can pick you up or something.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
whew! I just read this entire thread........a lot of repetition going on..... But I know everything that is going on now, so I don't have to bother anyone. Here's a recap:

The monkeyfest is taking place on April 22-24, with riding on the 23 and 24. We will be camping @ North White Pines and South White Pines group campgrounds. There will be plenty 'o shuttling going on and it seems the same amount of XC/Trail riders showing up. Bring Your Own Stuff! Everything!

That's about it.

bumby

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
I should be able to make it I'll have to get a map, and who all is coming up from florida?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
werd this thing is gonna blow up fo shizz dawg. i am going to try to get there on thursday night with some tents and secure some of the free roadside camping spots to take pressure off of the group site that i have reserved. We have a 25 person site (south white pines campground) but it will fit more than that i assure you. Rob and the rest of the FL crew are staying at davidson river camp ground. i will be starting a roll call thread so i can get an idea of the turnout.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
LOOnatic said:
Alot i think.
A crew from Miami led by their evil leader Mtb_rob_fl. maybe 10-20?
I'm visiting Tampa and i got a few guys ready to go.

bah some of it just fell apart on our end, (the guy with the camper got hurt) We can still use the camper, but dont have anything to tow it with. (well I am talking for only myself from this point on) I AM going up there. I dont care if I have to sleep at Biggins house Thursday night.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
bah some of it just fell apart on our end, (the guy with the camper got hurt) We can still use the camper, but dont have anything to tow it with. (well I am talking for only myself from this point on) I AM going up there. I dont care if I have to sleep at Biggins house Thursday night.

i'll be in the woods thursday night, or we could head down and set up some tents then come back to my place thursday night. you will have to fight my dad for the futon, loser takes the couch.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
okay so 22-24 okay. im pretty sure i can make it for atleast one day. lol.

and moto do you think you will have your dh bike done by then. lets hope so man cause if you dont your really missin out.lol xc trails are pretty sweet up here too so no worries. :thumb:

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Darn I won't be down until the second week in May. Biggins, you wanna give us a tour? Hey Buck, my wife and I went to Clemson, is Sardi's Den still in business? It was a little rib joint by the grocery store.

Lwac

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
Asheville, NC
Biggins: "we play rummy and drink powdered fiber drinks all weekend. sometimes people have been known to get crazy and not wear a depends all day. its awesome."

I have acouple of cribbage boards.

:cool:

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
im going to speak for the gvegas crew here but im pretty sure that they will tag along with me and my crew. so thats about 7,8 peps and im sure that there are many others.

so moto can i assume that you finished your bike. cause you will deffinatly enjoy yourself a little bit more if you have the dh bike so hope to see ya down here man. peace out. ohh and biggins were hittin averies this sunday if your game. and of cours tp your crews invited to.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
motomike said:
so who all will be shuttling DH runs? I think this will be the place to pop my DH cherry.
The Folks from FL do not like to pedal uphill that much. So we are good for Shuttling.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Is it possible to shuttle but not do any crazy DH runs? I only have my MKIII.

Also being from the NE my GF and I haven't had much trail time this year so any extended uphill climbs will be extended uphill walks.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
LOOnatic said:
To everyone sweating the details of how what level of experience you have,how good of shape your in, what bike you have , etc.......don't sweat it. We are all going to ride whatever and have a really stellar time.
Don't stress over a mountain bike gathering.
Good day.
ok fine. so will I be eligable for longest distance traveled?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
Is it possible to shuttle but not do any crazy DH runs? I only have my MKIII.

Also being from the NE my GF and I haven't had much trail time this year so any extended uphill climbs will be extended uphill walks.
There really arent any CRAZY DH stuff in that area. I am riding my Heckler, and I am bringing some folks that are intermediate XC riders at best. The great part about NC is the variation. We will all have fun.

Oh and we will be driving about 12 hours as well.

You better record mileage Stosh cause it might be close.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
There really arent any CRAZY DH stuff in that area. I am riding my Heckler, and I am bringing some folks that are intermediate XC riders at best. The great part about NC is the variation. We will all have fun.

Oh and we will be driving about 12 hours as well.
You better record mileage Stosh cause it might be close.
I better get my moldy tent out of the crawl space.

Let the summer road trips BEGIN!

I just remembered I forgot to renew my registration on my Xterra. I'm going to do it next Wed. I wonder if this is something I should worry about driving thru the south with an expired NY registration.... :)

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
I just remembered I forgot to renew my registration on my Xterra. I'm going to do it next Wed. I wonder if this is something I should worry about driving thru the south with an expired NY registration.... :)
I can't imagine anyone giving you a hard time when they pull you over and see that monkey banging your ear like that. ;)

stosh said:
I wonder if this is something I should worry about driving thru the south with an expired NY registration.... :)
If you get pulled over, just say "I'm a Yankee and I'm going straight home." They will be happy to hear that, and will probably let you off.

Just remember the obscure NC law that requires you to wave at everyone you pass on a two lane road, and you should be fine. :)

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
gastro said:
If you get pulled over, just say "I'm a Yankee and I'm going straight home." They will be happy to hear that, and will probably let you off.

Just remember the obscure NC law that requires you to wave at everyone you pass on a two lane road, and you should be fine. :)

Quite possibly two of the funniest lines I've heard all week. :p

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
So if by some miracle I was to get a day off and come up there with my rigid singlespeed, what would be a good day to find someone actually willing to pedal up a mountain with me? I know that's a hard concept to grasp, but give it some thought please.

:monkey:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
wooglin said:
So if by some miracle I was to get a day off and come up there with my rigid singlespeed, what would be a good day to find someone actually willing to pedal up a mountain with me? I know that's a hard concept to grasp, but give it some thought please.

:monkey:
dude, if someone can peel me away from the DH bike, I'll do some riding on my XC bike fo sho. I think Burley Shurley will be on a 1x1. More peeps will be doing trail rides than shuttles, me thinks.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Next week this time I will riding some NC Mountains with some monkeys! Or making Biggins go get some more beer