Quantcast

Spring rate guidline

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that depends on too many factors, if you post the whole setup you might get a good answer

basically you need to know
rider weight
bike leverage
linkage progression or not
shock type

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Per the recommended web site, the definition is as follows:

What do the spring rate figures mean?

The spring rate is the amount of force necessary in pounds to compress the spring one inch. When you order a spring you need to order the right spring rate together with the shock stroke (eg 450 x 2.75)

Ok, I have 6" of travel up front, 7 in the rear. Currently have a 750 spring. Vanilla R 7.875 I to I x 2.25

I have lost a total of 36 lbs. which has me at 227lbs, and by next season I will be 200.

The 750 lbs spring was recommended due to my size.

From my quick read on the subject, I have a very strong suspicion the current spring is too heavy. The reason for the question is when I get the Avy in the next 4 or so weeks, I want to make sure up front that I get exactly what I need to, insomuch as to minimize hassles down the road because I asked for something I shouldn’t have because I had NO idea what I was talking about.

So now I wonder what other pertinent information may be required.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
hey ralph!

lol, I have to say it, but "just play with it"

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springcalc.html I've used this one before, and typically just round up.

Different bike designs like different amounts of sag and Different people like different amounts of sag and feel to there shock, but generally speaking start your sag with about 25% of your travel.

If you don't have anyone to help, wiggle the shock bumper up the shock piston that way when you sit on the bike you can see how far you are sitting into your travel.

Terrain and Rider preference have the most to do with shock set up in my opinion

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/service_videos.htm check the coil shock sag video, it will help you understand and it applies to most shocks and this is only a general setting, lots of things will play into your shock set up and it will change from time to time probably depending on what you are riding/doing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yeah, I figuerd as much. I think the 750 is a bit much. I look forward to getting the Avy.

if I sell of some of the equipment I have (Musical), I'll probably go the route of a duel crown up front. Thats still bit premature yet........

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
what i would like is a "do-all" crown that adjusts for every change in the trail. it knows when to resist twisting, when to turn the adjuster knobs for compression and rebound, indicator lights that go off when bolts are loose. you know, a crown that does it all (maybe even pedals for me).

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
mandown said:
you going to fight somebody to the death with that thing? maybe you want a dual crown :p

Walk 10 paces and throw........ :D

Works for me.........

I should write it 100 times

:p

dual dual dual dual dual dual dual dual dual dual