Quantcast

Springfield XDS

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I know I've had a few of these "what gun should I buy" threads but I'm actually serious this time. I have $600 in hand to spend on a good 9mm CCW. I've gone out and held about a dozen different guns and my favorite so far is the Springfield XDS in 9mm. The only gun I haven't held that I want to is the S&W M&P Shield, but I can't find one anywhere. I know a few of you have the Shield and I've heard its a really good gun. Have any of you handled/owned both?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
only held the .45 XDS (which is identical to the 9mm iirc) and it didnt feel as comfortable in my hands as my Shield does. i carry the 8rd mag in my Shield since the added grip length is needed with my mitts and i dont think the XDS comes with an extended mag. i only have around 500-600 rounds through it but no failures yet

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
As much as I am a Springfield fan, the Shield fits WAY better in your hand, Functionally the XDS is flawless, but handling wise, It is just too hard to hang on to without the extended mag grip.... At that point the Shield just fits better...

You will put thousands of rounds through both with no worries.....

FYI, the extension for the mags on springfields is available for all models

P.S.... The xds 9mm extended mag itself holds nine rounds... Looking at the length, might as well get the larger pistol at that point

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
On another serious note, I currently favor two pistols for carry.... my Service model XD 40 cal, and the Bersa .380...... eleven total in the .40, and eight in the .380. As for hiding them..... All depends on teh holster, I find most of the time I still favor the .40 even in the larger frame, but I moved to using an IWB Holster and damnit if the larger pistol just does not just disappear under a Tshirt...the .380 is absolutely gone in an IWB Holster, but its so small that it wants to creep out of the holster, so it is normally in a slide holster which works well, but even being a smaller pistol the holster selection for it actually makes it a little harder to hide.......Food for thought on it, look at holster options, that can make or break how well a pistol is hidden

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
.Food for thought on it, look at holster options, that can make or break how well a pistol is hidden
i had been using a Blackhawk nylon holster for my Shield but wanted something more secure for IWB. i got a Hidden Hybrid Holster and its amazing. super comfortable and the kydex holds the gun perfectly while the leather and velvet make it very comfortable against my skin

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I'm seriously split between the two. It seems like no other similar pistol even comes close to these two. Gander Mountain said they may be getting a few Sheilds in Monday so hopefully I can go look at one there. I've got two weeks to decide though thanks to a speeding ticket and stupid NC pistol permit laws. My CCW class isn't til August, and I can't apply for a regular pistol permit til my speeding ticket is no longer pending (July 25th). So concealed carry isn't an issue just yet. Until I get my CCW permit I'll just be getting used to the gun and open carrying some to get used to having the extra weight on me. But when I do start concealed carrying, I think I'll probably go with an IWB like this at about 1 o'clock. I think I'm too skinny to hide a gun even as small as the Shield or XDS on my side. I'm 5'11'' 155#

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'm seriously split between the two. It seems like no other similar pistol even comes close to these two. Gander Mountain said they may be getting a few Sheilds in Monday so hopefully I can go look at one there. I've got two weeks to decide though thanks to a speeding ticket and stupid NC pistol permit laws. My CCW class isn't til August, and I can't apply for a regular pistol permit til my speeding ticket is no longer pending (July 25th). So concealed carry isn't an issue just yet. Until I get my CCW permit I'll just be getting used to the gun and open carrying some to get used to having the extra weight on me. But when I do start concealed carrying, I think I'll probably go with an IWB like this at about 1 o'clock. I think I'm too skinny to hide a gun even as small as the Shield or XDS on my side. I'm 5'11'' 155#

Do some research, three oclock and four oclock position are probably the best spots to hide a weapon, I usually have them at the four myself, its just a small increase in the reach but very comfy and very hidden, no matter what your size...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Held the Shield. It's a great gun, but compared side by side to the XDS it felt cheap IMO. So I bought an XDS 9mm yesterday, but I have to wait til my pistol permits come back this friday to pick it up. Ordering a couple extended mags, and I'm gonna start looking around for a good IWB holster but I probably won't buy one til I after I have my CCW so I'm not tempted to use it.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
odd. i thought every XD/XDM/XDS ive held felt really cheap and plasticy
To each their own I guess. I also prefer the deep ridged grip on the XD pistols. And since I don't own a full framed pistol yet, the 9+1 extended mags will be nice on the range. Next gun will probably be either a full sized pistol or a Mini 14 in about a month.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think all compact and sub compacts feel cheap.... I hate the smaller frames, they just feel like crap, BUT, they work and hide well...

Spent a little time today looking for concealment holsters for the 1911, found some good options not sure what I want yet