Quantcast

SpringMonkeyFest 2006!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Anybody up for the idea?

Im thinking we align the dates this year for March 10-12 (Spring Break for alot of Colleges) and again at Pisgah. This year, more organized rides, and a semi-set schedule for them.

Who's good at organizing stuff?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
well lets try to get some more people on board. if it picks up any steam. I try to get it stickied.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
motomike said:
I'm in. I'll organize the session for that drop at the camp.
Ha!

I only rolled that thing last year. You need to moto-whip it bigger this time.:dead:

Who lives in NC that can see about reserving some campsites again? Biggins still frequent RM?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
motomike said:
hmmm I'll look into that. Again at the same campsite? What was the name of it again? South-?
That place was pretty nice. One campground was the Davidson River campground, the one I stayed at was called "Avery Creek Campsite" which was the one off the main road, near the horse stables.

It holds 50 or so people I think. Yeah, Avery was the one with the big droppy drop.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
WKC said:
I'm in for sure. Will it be wround the same time this year?
The dates (which I included in the 1st post :) ) are March 10-12. You better be older than 16 this year too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
WKC said:
Yeah, 17 now actaully. Has a "Trail Route" been decided on yet? I can help chip in a little for the campsite too if need be.
uh...the thread just got started like 9 minutes ago, so nah, not yet. I dont know the area very well, I just know I like to ride it alot. Someone familiar with the area should chime in and come up with ride ideas.

Also, a paypal collection orta get set up for campsite fees.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
untitledsince89 said:
what sorta riding is this going to be? more XC or a mix of trails and drops and such?
Mostly all trails. There's some shuttling and some epic xc stuff. Really the whole spectrum....Pisgah is great.

santacruzed

Monkey
Nov 6, 2004
hickory, nc
BurlyShirley said:
Mostly all trails. There's some shuttling and some epic xc stuff. Really the whole spectrum....Pisgah is great.

Now are we talking epic "big bikeable" or epic "clipless and under 3 inches of travel"?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
santacruzed said:
Now are we talking epic "big bikeable" or epic "clipless and under 3 inches of travel"?
Uh...I dont think anyone had a bike under 6 inches last year. Seriously.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
santacruzed said:
I can map out rides, I know most of the good ones up there. Don't worry on the bike, I climb all the trails there and I'll be riding my Foes Fly. ya'll let me know what kinda trails you're interested in and I'll try to plan out the rides, there's not that many locals on here.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Let me know a date you guys want to do this. I am in, and have some guys from Greenville that will come up too. If you need to know any trail ideas, I have been riding up there now for over 8 years. I have rode almost every good trail up there.

motomike said:
So do we only get to ride together once a year now or what? :)
I sure hope not, otherwise two weeks ago at CP was it. :p

Although it didn't turn out quite like it was supposed to (an understatement, I know), I really enjoyed the North Mills ride last year. I haven't hit that area since, wouldn't mind doing it again. There're plenty of fun spots in Dupont also.

Accumbens

Chimp
Jan 20, 2006
I may be interested in joining... this thread was mentioned in a Nashville forum. Haven't been to Pisgah, but have heard it's great.

- Chris

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
motomike said:
I'll put in another vote for Dupont. I love that place. Kinda sad we missed going there at the fest last year.
Dupont is fun, but a lot better trails and shuttle runs in Pisgah. If we do it at Dupont, we can go do the 45 min shuttle run off Ceasars Head. Talking about the best shuttle run ever. You will need a big bike for that. That was one of the old places us old SEI Racing guys trained.

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Just a question. Not that I can make the ride, cause I'll be heading to Florida for Spring Break.

But, I just have question about the timing. Pisgah in March seems to have a couple issues. You never know what you will get for weather. Could be gorgeous. Could be 10" of snow or icey rain. Beautiful and balmy or sub-freezing with 40 knot winds. That and some of us get fat and lazy during the months of short daylight hours. And, breaking out of hibernation into 30 miles of pedaling around the biggest stuff in the southeast can have a devistating effect. Having experienced crouch-numbing death marches in the rain and snow in thise mountains, it is deffinately something you never forget. Or, ever want to experience again. I've gone out in 60 deg sunshine and come back in 30 deg misery.

As long as your Karma is positive and the Sun shines it will all be good. Hope it's a wonderful gathering. I'll be thinking of ya from the beaches of South Florida. (And, watching the weather channel)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
...you are most likely right. Last year we did it in April, and it still snowed on us.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I'd be in, provided the weather doesn't look like its going to take a big crap all over the rug.