Quantcast

SQL question

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
running 7.0

I have a table with duplicate records (I assume when we moved servers the table was imported twice)
Is there a quick or easy way to get rid of the dupes?

I tried to manually delete one row and I get this error:
key column information is insufficient or incorrect. Too many rows were affected by update.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
douglas said:
running 7.0

I have a table with duplicate records (I assume when we moved servers the table was imported twice)
Is there a quick or easy way to get rid of the dupes?

I tried to manually delete one row and I get this error:
key column information is insufficient or incorrect. Too many rows were affected by update.
(i am assuming 7.0 means sql server)
1) you might be able to use the row_id/row id - I forget what oracle does and sql server doesnt.
2) you might also use the select top 1
3) you could add a new autonum or index field so that those rows are now unique - > you might have to do a group by / and a join and top one -> to first get the records that are dupped, then select the first one, and delete it.

GOOOOOOD LUCK!
Good luck.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yes SQL server

1 huh?

2 huh?

3 I did do a new index, but like I said I got anerror when trying to delete

ps: my company is too cheap to send me to a SQL class so I really have no clue, kinda scary being I'm the only one hear that knows anything about SQL and we run our business on it

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
douglas said:
yes SQL server

1 huh?

2 huh?

3 I did do a new index, but like I said I got anerror when trying to delete

ps: my company is too cheap to send me to a SQL class so I really have no clue, kinda scary being I'm the only one hear that knows anything about SQL and we run our business on it
-- I have to get some stuff done - But I will play around a little today maybe around lunch time - and see if I can get you some more detailed directions :)